Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Al Beeb subliminal comedy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Caroline Lucas - The best of the five. I'd vote for her if the Greens had a hope in hell of getting more than one MP and influencing things.

So you'd only vote for them if someone else does too? They've got no chance if everyone secretly thinks that.

Apart from "the comedian" Rolling Eyes Lucas had the easiest role. The Greens are essentially a limited interest lobby group (like UKIP) who know they won't have to manage the consequences of their policies. We'd all like less pollution and all that, but how to achieve green nirvana without reverting back to a pastoral, subsistence existence which impoverishes everyone? Currently The Greens don't deal with the tough questions, it's all about, "Wouldn't it be lovely if..." And I was once a member of the Friends of The Earth. (Now I'm just a friend of a Friend...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have hit the nail on the head with the pastoral, subsistence existence. That is where we are headed anyhow albeit post-industrial feudalism. The Greens simply want damage limitation before we get there.

I've given my thoughts on this before, so won't bore people again.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=0m33s&v=7PNPaA02alg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Just how free isn't clarified, however given that staying in the EU is also a Policy, one can guess that they want to maintain the current situation.

Guess? Confused https://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2018/03/03/green-party-calls-for-people%E2%80%99s-poll-to-reverse-%E2%80%98calamitous-brexit%E2%80%99/

Like the Lib dems their policies are pure fantasy, if they got into government they'd be in for a shock (like the lib dems found out).

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that. Back to the status-quo. I haven't read anything that says criminals, paedos, terrorists and people not wanting to work and pay taxes however. I assume Mpg has or he wouldn't have described that as their policy.

The Greens will never get into Government, so no worries about a shock.

I don't agree with everything the Greens say but I would like them to get a bloc vote in Parliament, particularly if we do leave the EU. Without somebody looking beyond the next election we are doomed, doomed I say.....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget UKIP won 3.8m votes to the Greens 1.1m in 2015 Wink

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did, and if small parties take votes off the big 3 again sadly it will be UKIP or Farage's new party that gets support rather than the Greens. Reactionary political ideas are easier to sell because they involve 'goodies and baddies', whereas green political ideas involve giving up things we enjoy.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Diggs wrote:
Caroline Lucas - The best of the five. I'd vote for her if the Greens had a hope in hell of getting more than one MP and influencing things. She looks at the bigger picture whereas the other three politicians don't look further than the next election.

Wow. You do know that some of the Greens' policies, other than environment ones, are utterly stark raving bonkers?

The Greens want to stay in the EU and therefore support freedom of movement.

How can all this international travel possibly be green?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
They did, and if small parties take votes off the big 3 again sadly it will be UKIP or Farage's new party that gets support rather than the Greens. Reactionary political ideas are easier to sell because they involve 'goodies and baddies', whereas green political ideas involve giving up things we enjoy.

I wonder whether the Green party is worthwhile in terms on environmantal issues. Perhaps if the people trying to get into it and change the world tried to get into "mainstream" parties and use their efforts there, they might have more effect?

For instance, re the proposed ban of all new petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2040, the BEIS committee (chairwoman: Rachel Reeves) suggests that plug-in hybrid vehicles should also be banned by that year, and that the bans should preferebly be brought forward to 2032 (transport is now the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions).

More "green" people in nparliament might have more effect than more people in the Green party, you see. What do you think?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair point but ignoring the bigger picture methinks.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

The only person I know who voted for the Greens did so because they want to legalise it. He then asked me what party were in power, guessed, and got it wrong Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
A fair point but ignoring the bigger picture methinks.

I think it's always best to work from within an organisation (such as parliament) than to be on the outside, with the organisation actually trying to make sure you stay outside.

Apart from the transport issue, I'd like a good deal more nuclear energy production, and a lot more house insulation (some 40% of the UK's housing stock is solid walled).

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that comment was meant in response to the post before yours.

I understand the argument about changing things from within. Why I am sceptical is that where whips are involved, anybody with 'green' ideas is likely to be told which way to vote when it comes to the big issues.

Re. no petrol/diesel engined cars by 2040, forward-thinking Local Authorities are already planning for this, which is positive. I agree that we need to use less energy and retain heat in buildings. The EPC system will probably be linked to rates in the near future which will encourage more insulation. Rental properties already have to meet a higher standard in terms of insulation than properties marketed for sale. Nuclear energy is a tricky one, and I agree that we need to keep on using it until we reduce our consumption of electricity considerably.

The only certainty is that our habits will change. We can either plan for it (i.e. listen to people like the Greens) or have it forced upon us, which is what will happen if we continue the way we are going...
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Re. no petrol/diesel engined cars by 2040, forward-thinking Local Authorities are already planning for this, which is positive.

Their plan seems to be to cause (further) gridlock so no one will drive, and we'll all ride around on [to quote Clarkson] ethnic peace bicycles, ignoring the fact many people need to be on the road (deliveries etc.).

Cars stuck in traffic jams belching out fumes must be better for the planet Thinking

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a gradual shift to not using petrol/diesel engine vehicles as the norm. We won't import bulk goods any more, nor will we transport them within the UK as cheaply as we do now. We will see a shift towards local supply and the rise of the market town once again. This may sound medieval but horses and carts, bicycles and even our waterways network will see a resurgence.

People will need to grow food again to survive because cheap processed food will no longer be economic to transport and will not be available.

I have argued this in the past to the derision of fellow BCF members, so I won't again.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
whereas green political ideas involve giving up things we enjoy.

No, they require us to find ways to change established economic and social models which, rightly or wrongly, we've come to rely on. Alternatives always bring their own problems which the Greens don't propose to resolve. It would be lovely if we could save the rainforest by banning palm oil but it would be replaced with more land-hungry crops. Replacing nuclear, coal and waste-incineration energy would be nice but the Greens propose to make off-shore wind our major energy source - and they even go on to talk about what they'd do with any surplus energy! Biofuels will be sustainably sourced from within the UK through extensive re-forestation. These are policies which won't work without a pandemic first. (Gaia using one of the re-balancing tools at its disposal. Wink )
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
It will be a gradual shift to not using petrol/diesel engine vehicles as the norm. We won't import bulk goods any more, nor will we transport them within the UK as cheaply as we do now. We will see a shift towards local supply and the rise of the market town once again. This may sound medieval but horses and carts, bicycles and even our waterways network will see a resurgence.

People will need to grow food again to survive because cheap processed food will no longer be economic to transport and will not be available.

I have argued this in the past to the derision of fellow BCF members, so I won't again.

Well lets assume electric takes over, what then, we'll have 'clean' (in terms of what's coming out the back) cars etc. but our roads will still be gridlocked. I find it amusing how particularly now we're constantly being told about 'the cost to business', yet planners are actively sabotaging the road network.

If I had my tinfoil hat on I'd say it's more about restricting the movement of people, the problem with that's as cities become hipster enclaves, people have to move further out and need transport. It's not like we have spare capacity on public transport.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo - I understand that. Its why we need to be moving towards an economy that doesn't rely upon the internal combustion engine. Like I said before, I don't agree with everything the Greens argue for.

In my view we will end up with a dramatic reduction in the population regardless because our established social and economic models will fail soon. The Greens dress it up as manageable which is something I disagree with. The other parties ignore it, which I disagree with more - hence my wanting more Green MPs.

Mdma - I admire your faith in 'the system' on this issue. Isn't it the same 'system' you have spent the last 2.5 years deriding?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC - our roads won't be gridlocked because over the next 20 years we won't be buying cars for personal use like we do now and commercial transport will price itself out of existence. 'Electric' won't be taking over because somebody has to make and supply the vehicles and maintain the grid.

Our roads will decay in time because the Government won't have the revenue to mend them. This is happening now.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
MC - our roads won't be gridlocked because over the next 20 years we won't be buying cars for personal use like we do now and commercial transport will price itself out of existence. 'Electric' won't be taking over because somebody has to make and supply the vehicles and maintain the grid.

Our roads will decay in time because the Government won't have the revenue to mend them. This is happening now.

You make it sound like an episode of the walking dead Smile I think we'll be sitting in the same traffic jams just in a hybrid rather than a (pure) petrol/diesel vehicle, which will help emissions... just not productivity. Public transport will be like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7q-v7NIRQ

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bnp - try the Energy Efficiency Directive for example. The less efficiently we produce, transport and use energy, the quicker the planet will heat up and the more fossil fuel we will use, leading to us running out of economic sources faster....

M.C. - somebody needs to make the hybrid vehicles, which means that raw materials and components need to be transported, and energy needs to be used in manufacture. As transportation and energy costs rise, the cost of said vehicles rises also. It will reach a point when ordinary people cannot afford a vehicle for domestic purposes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't car sharing/Uber type deals just increase in popularity then? You may be right but I don't see central London in 20 years time being full of...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/84/a8/e1/84a8e1e873ba21259c56530f3b278175.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 7 of 23