Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Glasses and bluetooth in helmets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Glasses and bluetooth in helmets Reply with quote

I quite like my RPHA-ST, although the cheaper plastic-catch visors last longer than the 'premium' metal catch ones. It's an arse with glasses though as the sides get caught in the lining and the same bit of lining covers the speakers for my bluetooth so it's not as good as in say my AGV-K3SV (which is leaky, and sunvisor and pinlock implementations are dissapointing).

I got crafty. Removed parts aren't present on any other helmet I have and are presumably a noise thing rather than for safety so I'm not woried abou removing them, beyond comfort.

Before
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/img_20181109_102522288.jpg

After
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/img_20181109_103012149.jpg

Just a zigzag stitch on a cheapo sewing machine to tidy this up.
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/img_20181109_103017274.jpg

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope looks like shit, and speakers inside a lid is retarded. Bluetooth noise isolating earphones are the correct way to do it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sewing ith lovely! Do you cook too?

No, but to be serious, if it works, it'sgood!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:39 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Nope looks like shit, and speakers inside a lid is retarded. Bluetooth noise isolating earphones are the correct way to do it.

You think everything is shit and retarded. Laughing perhaps it's not everything else, maybe it's you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite difficult to get a really neat look to cut edges without using an overlocker and the old domestic sewing machine I mostly use for winding induction coils (guitar pickups) isn't that good on thick stretchy materials. But hell yeah I sew, when I was reenacting i made everything from uniforms to tents. It gets tedious real fast, but so does sanding a guitar body or time-aligning audio by hand.

There's a little more wind noise, but speakers in helmet are so much more effective and glasses went on right every time yesterday. Because one of the many things I don't make is my own boots and it was time for a trip to Altberg.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

I've tried it all - Sena bluetooth & earplugs are the best all rounder for me, I'm not a fan of noise cancelling headphones on bikes - they don't work very well at high speed IMO (Bose QC 20)

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:20 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works for you and helps others...cool. I'd like to know what isolating earphones/plugs are.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speakers will always be cheaper and simpler to use.
In-Ear requires more miniaturisation for the same reproduction as a speaker.
So... if you want to hear all the sounds in your Beiber tracks then fit 'proper' quality speakers.

In-Ear makes it a phaph to remove the helmet too as they regularly get pulled by the edges of the helmet or lining/padding.

And Bluetooth needs a receiver too. Which again complicates miniaturisation.

If you want to spend a wedge then In-Ear.

If you want the comfort of in-ear-less then speakers.

I use filtered earplugs and a Schuberth (Too Expensive) Bluetooth system.
Sound reproduction is manageable but no where near as good as wired.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My scala rider q1 is one of those things I don't have to fuss about much, I've been quite satisfied. Music quality is adequate, phone call quality is apparently very good but for tie most part calls on the bark are "hold on whilst I pull over" and then sit on he bke rambling in my helmet with the occaisonal passers by thinking i'm crazy.

Given my ability to lose earplugs given the slightest opportunity I'm loathe to use anything expensive and small.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
My scala rider q1 is one of those things I don't have to fuss about much, I've been quite satisfied. Music quality is adequate, phone call quality is apparently very good but for tie most part calls on the bark are "hold on whilst I pull over" and then sit on he bke rambling in my helmet with the occaisonal passers by thinking i'm crazy.

Given my ability to lose earplugs given the slightest opportunity I'm loathe to use anything expensive and small.

Why lose your earplugs when hearing damage is guaranteed on a bike at any reasonable speed?
Or did you mean earphones?

I still use my earplugs. Surprisingly, my hearing is more valuable than listening to Jimmy Shand and his Motown Hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfF9ELhPW1Q

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
kramdra wrote:

You think everything is shit and retarded. Laughing perhaps it's not everything else, maybe it's you.

Cutting away the foam/padding in your lid, which I argue is important for a good fit and distribution of force in impact. Im not going to bodge around with my 400 quid lid.

Speakers competing with wind noise Vs earphones isolating. At 30mph speakers might be ok but at higher speeds the difference is massive. Then your going to wear ear plugs anyway to protect hearing. Earphones are just better.

Yet to find a decent bluetooth and good, compact earphones in one. I recommend modifying to get the best result. I have a bigger lipo aswell for less charging, 55mah to 400mah

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sena 10-c installed on my lid (shark Spartan)

With a scarf dealing with the gap under the helmet I can easily have a convo up to about 65mph easily. People have often told me they had no idea I was on a bike and not just in a car using Bluetooth.

Get the speaker in the wrong place though (even by 5mm) and it is useless.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

With a scarf dealing with the gap under the helmet I can easily have a convo up to about 65mph easily. People have often told me they had no idea I was on a bike and not just in a car using Bluetooth.

Some people are just kind. 😂

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Why lose your earplugs when hearing damage is guaranteed on a bike at any reasonable speed?
Or did you mean earphones?

Surprisingly this is not inttentional. Usually it's part of the trying to get earplugs out in a hurry so I can hear someone properly and they get dropped or put in a pocket because i can't find the case or I leave the case on a table somewhere. I sue moldex sparkplugs and buy big dispenser boxes so I always have spares to hand.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1