Honda CB650F

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

rocknrollarmy...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:32 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Honda CB650F Reply with quote

Hi People,
Need to pick your brains,again, as I need some front brake pads,2017 model, wondering if its worth buying sintered ones, or just stay with as before..
Thanks for any help,
Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be shocked if any new bike does not have sintered OEM pads tbh! Yes replace with sintered pads, as modern discs don't get trashed in 5min with decent sintered pads, which was always the sad moaning old women's reason they didn't like them.
Most organic pads in my experience are consistently shite so I'd only fit sintered as do the manufacturers in most cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd be shocked if any new bike does not have sintered OEM pads tbh! Yes replace with sintered pads, as modern discs don't get trashed in 5min with decent sintered pads, which was always the sad moaning old women's reason they didn't like them.
Most organic pads in my experience are consistently shite so I'd only fit sintered as do the manufacturers in most cases.

When they were new and everybody was excited about them, I fitted EBC sintered pads on my RD250 and I would've been delighted if they were wearing the discs out, it might've indicated they were actually doing something.

Instead, what I got was brakes that didn't really work, if you required them to stop you at any speed over 10mph, which has lead to continuing distrust of anything EBC to this day (backed up by first hand experience of fitting their products to other people's vehicles, at their request).

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
...I fitted EBC sintered pads on my RD250... what I got was brakes that didn't really work...

So what would you recommend? On a modern bike not a classic that is.

Having been stuck with a choice of organic or ceramic brakes on the 535 i'm enjoying owning a bike with halfway modern brakes. EBC HH pads stopped the bandit marginally better than what was in there when I got it. I'm still getting used to the feel of new disks, wherein there's not the immediate grab i'd like but they won't stay new for long and the do stop the lardy bandit and similarly overwight and underpowered rider well enough.

If you have old disks that are perhaps a bit grooved it takes a good while for sintered pads (or worse ceramic) to bed in, whereas orgainc pads are usually a bit more compliant and bed in faster.

I'm not entirely convinced you'll find a brake company recommending anything other than sintered for a CB650F

EDIT: I'm quite surprised that there's plenty of organic and ceramic options out there for the CB650F.

Last edited by talkToTheHat on 15:19 - 10 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferodo make good pads although usually more expensive I don't tend to scrimp when it comes to brakes/tyres.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM pads are always the best balance of wear and stopping.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all bikes like sintered pads.

I initially changed out the VFR's pads for EBC HH's, having success in the past with them on other bikes, but it felt wooden, you got nothing, still nothing, more nothing nothing, then everything. Changed it to an Organic, and she felt far, far better, much more progressive. She'll never stop that quickly, she's 240KG stopping on a pair of Nissin 2 pots, but the organics feel a much better for for her.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Shaft wrote:
...I fitted EBC sintered pads on my RD250... what I got was brakes that didn't really work...

So what would you recommend? On a modern bike not a classic that is.

Just for clarity, I should point out my RD250 was 18 months old at the time, the term 'classic' hadn't been invented then.

As to what I would recommend, I'm with GT200Fan, OEM all the way.

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:03 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are sinterd on the front that's for sure
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1