Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'Remarkable' decline in fertility rates

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: 'Remarkable' decline in fertility rates Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46118103

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/108A/production/_104243240_global_fertility_rates_gra640-nc.png

What do you think? I think we have too many people in the UK and on the planet generally, they seem to think replacing current numbers is a good thing, I get the argument you have to pay for the older population but it seems like a snowball effect to me.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once it comes down to two, things will be more satisfactory.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 5 billion useless carbon lifeforms too many.

Roll on euthanasia for non productive units.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: 'Remarkable' decline in fertility rates Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
What do you think? .

Short

Promises will be broken.
No choice about it.
Nobody will get to retire.
Retirement is an anomaly.
Multi generation house holds (or euthanasia) are coming back.

Eh?

Longer

The boomer generation were promised super generous pensions as a way of stopping them from agitating for higher pay back in the day. So they didn't need to plan for retirement the traditional way - by having a couple of children to look after them in their dotage.

With no children the tax and productivity base is smaller. So those pensions can't be paid.

So guess what? The government opened the borders in the hope of paying out on its future commitments.

Around the 90s some saw these problems themselves. So they decided that a way to get their retirement income is to buy the housing stock and rent it out.

Except this crushes the native birth rate. Oh it also needs immigration to maintain because the same basic problem - not enough payers to payees is still there.

So what's the solution? Pretty much tell anybody born between 1900 and 2018 that they aren't going to retire EVER.

The problem is that's the political equivalent of trying to sell people AIDS and cancer... good luck with that.

So the government are simply trying to stave off the problem. Increased retirement age, personal contributory pensions, praying for cold winters etc (won't work).
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:45 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retired by choice, mortgage paid off, 5 years ago at age 52 - no kids see Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
About 5 billion useless carbon lifeforms too many.

Roll on euthanasia for non productive units.

Renew! Smile

https://66.media.tumblr.com/7840e20b09782175e74b292442afcd02/tumblr_o3foimFxmg1qmob6ro1_500.gif
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't shag like I used to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:06 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think there are WAY to many people. Having less people has to be a good thing on a global scale.

A shrinking population is a nightmare if you're a politician/banker and think constant growth is the be-all and end-all of economics/govenment.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except amongst social class 8, who still seem able to breed like rabbits.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:09 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Declining fertility rates?

Don't worry, we can always import more people and they'll increase the average fertility rate for this country.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I also think there are WAY to many people. Having less people has to be a good thing on a global scale.

We should continue to work harder to increase global warming, and have more wars. Big wars, not silly little 'local' ones.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of rounds of Spanish Flu would be a good start. Cheaper than big wars, and quieter.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's due to women delaying children because of their career and millennials suffering from high house prices/rents and tuition fees delaying them starting a family. The economy is already feeling the effects of this too as people are going to buy less stuff to put in the house they don't have and for the baby they don't have. I'm surprised people aren't more concerned about it. Too busy whining about Brexit and Nigel Farage to see the freight train coming...

Also, I don't care what the policy is in China.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:35 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
It's due to women delaying children because of their career and millennials suffering from high house prices/rents and tuition fees delaying them starting a family. The economy is already feeling the effects of this too as people are going to buy less stuff to put in the house they don't have and for the baby they don't have.

So what you're saying is the drop in birth rate is in a large part because people can't afford a house.

So isn't this a self-limiting problem? If people don't have kids because they can't afford houses, the number of people will get lower, this will reduce demand for housing, prices will drop, people can afford houses again.

There is a certain symmetry there?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
It's due to women delaying children because of their career and millennials suffering from high house prices/rents and tuition fees delaying them starting a family. The economy is already feeling the effects of this too as people are going to buy less stuff to put in the house they don't have and for the baby they don't have. I'm surprised people aren't more concerned about it. Too busy whining about Brexit and Nigel Farage to see the freight train coming...

Also, I don't care what the policy is in China.

Global fertility rates.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:09 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickenstrip... it is global, last November in the UK birth rates had fallen to a ten year low.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-birth-rate-latest-number-babies-born-lowest-decade-a8066101.html

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Chickenstrip... it is global, last November in the UK birth rates had fallen to a ten year low.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-birth-rate-latest-number-babies-born-lowest-decade-a8066101.html

Question

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://2bbdnf2jiqb63z0kif47vy6w-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/childrenofmen02_0-750x400.jpg
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

A shrinking population is a nightmare if you're a politician/banker and think constant growth is the be-all and end-all of economics/govenment.

Thanos, is that you?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:40 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Question

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-45201725

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Question

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:36 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always. Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Always. Mr. Green

https://azcdn.rosetta.pgsitecore.com/en-gb/-/media/Always_GB/Images/Callouts/Desktop/products/Ultra/Long%20Ultra%20Size%202%20Wings/always_ultra_long_size_2_sanitary_towels_wings_12_pads_1200x1200.png?w=450&v=1-201704241431

Question

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:44 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racist.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Racist.

Dance!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4