Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

yamaha ybr 125 error light 33 - ignition coil problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

neil.81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:55 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: yamaha ybr 125 error light 33 - ignition coil problem Reply with quote

hello guys hoping to get some help with this Smile

bought this bike about 2 months ago its an 09 last couple of weeks i had error code 19 which seemed to fix by spraying wd40 in the keyhole there has been a lot of rain and perhaps stupidly it not been covered up. the other night returning from work i had no indicators so i fiddled about a bit removed flasher unit and put it back and now indicators work but i am getting the engine coil code error 33 and cant even get it started to take to a garage how would i go about checking/fixing wire faults? cheers neil.

neil.81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:37 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it be as simple as changing the ignition coil? they seem pretty cheap on ebay around £15, is this an easy job to do? cheers neil

neil.81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:10 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok for anyone else reading i took the ignition coil out sprayed a bit of wd40 (would of used the electrical connection spray if i had any!) and tried to clean it up a bit and did the voltmeter test to see if was faulty while the meter gave a reading it was a bit erratic so maybe coil is on its way out? anyway connected it all back up thinking i would buy a used coil from ebay and wasnt very hopeful! but it works for now and no error code 33 so phew! cheers guys. neil.

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Error Codes Reply with quote

Hi there,

Before you proceed, double check you haven't accidentally loosened or disconnected anything to do with the ignition system, it might be working now but by the sounds of it there's a few wiring issues with the bike.

The start of this error code 19 is actually pretty common with 2007-2009 models. If this issue returns and cannot be resolved by cleaning the ignition barrel with e.g. WD-40, take off the front of the headlight and check that the black and white wire is properly connected to the ignition switch. If you short the black and white wire to ground, the issue should go away - however you shouldn't short the wire to fix the issue, only diagnose it.

If you can't replace the ignition switch or don't want to, a work-around is possible, by connecting a suitable automotive relay to the main ignition wire, and using it to switch the black & white wire to ground/negative. If you aren't knowledgeable enough to attempt this confidently, don't try it.

Hopefully the issue won't return, but if so - the workaround does fix the issue. As long as the relay is protected (and electrically isolated) behind the headlight, this won't affect the security of the bike, since anyone getting behind there could short the ignition wires anyway.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: water Reply with quote

So, water ingress into the main ign switch ??

Water can play havoc with electrics giving rise the ecu "faults" that should in theory never take place, or the programmer has not even considered, like 2 wire that would never be connected by design, but being poorly routed by the bod that was in there last, resulted in the electric window steel cable sawing its way thru 2 electric cables, that connected now and again when it rained !!

This confuses the F out of the expensive diagnostics.......
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1