Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mutt motorbikes leak petrol

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dales1433
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:21 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Mutt motorbikes leak petrol Reply with quote

I brought a brand new mutt and they leak fuel if you fill it up. I mean literally pour fuel all over the engine, over the air cylinder.. Very dangerous, terribly made, and mutt refuse to fix the issue.

Anyone else had the same problem?

Last edited by dales1433 on 17:18 - 13 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:37 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

daleshorey wrote:
I brought a brand new mutt and they leak fuel if you fill it up. I mean literally pour fuel all over the engine, over the air cylinder.. Very dangerous, terribly made, and mutt refuse to fix the issue. I'm now suing the merchant "on the wheel" in Brighton as they are also cowboys.. Avoid mutt motorcycles at all costs. I'm going to pay the extra couple of grand and buy a triumph

Anyone else had the same problem?

I'm aware of the shop and the people within there. They aren't cowboys...

Pics/vids? If I fill my bike and keep filling then it'll overfill... but filling it up and it not sealing I'd guess is your issue?

Brand new, warranty job. Simple as.

No doubt you've explained that calmly to them...?

Last edited by P. on 15:40 - 11 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:37 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the leak from? When does it happen?

The phrase "fill it up" suggests this is an issue you encountered after brimming the tank?

It is quite common on many motorbikes that if you brim the tank with the bike upright then put it on the sidestand, you will get a significant amount of fuel overspill. This is because the fuel level will now be higher than the filler neck due to the lean angle (imagine filling a glass to the brim then tipping it 20 degrees to one side, what would happen?). They can't make a petrol tank totally sealed, fumes have to vent out if the temperature increases and air has to get back in to replace the fuel that run out in use.

On most bikes, overfilled fuel pours out onto the ground through an overflow hose but if that hose had become detached, it would go all over the engine.

The reason I mention this is if someone routinely made motorcycles that just pour fuel everywhere, they wouldn't last long as a company.

So, I'd suggest there is either a problem with your specific motorcycle or a problem with the way you are using it. It is almost certainly something extremely simple such as overfilling or a detached/loose hose.

I'd be interested to hear what the dealer said about the problem.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:40 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what the dealer said about the problem.

They'll probably take a look on here..

dales1433
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:49 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not interested in helping or refunding

I've spoken to a few Mot garages that have said they would fail the bike based on the fault..

There is no way of knowing if you've filled the tank further than the bike allows.. You would only be able to fill the tank halfway each time to be certain. Who wants a bike you can only fill halfway??

The bikes look lovely but are cheaply made and badly designed

Last edited by dales1433 on 17:37 - 13 Nov 2018; edited 3 times in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:57 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other thread you're venting on you said this:
Quote:
You can't fill the tank because of the leak. They have an overflow pipe that kicks in when the tank gets to about two thirds.. I'm told bikes typically have an overflow pipe which normally might displace petrol ( nowhere near the hot engine for obvious reasons) , but also only release a thimble size volume of petrol. Mutt's will create a pool of petrol at you feat if you try to fill the tank.

I've just had a look at pictures of the Mutts and they have a weird offset filler cap. It's a styling cue from older harleys which had a 2-part fuel tank with a filler for each side.

So it may be that you have the opposite problem to the one I decribed above. It looks like it would be potentially possible to brim the tank on the sidestand then have the fuel level above the neck when the bike is moved upright. If that were to happen, the fuel could leak out of the cap breather, run over the tank and soak into your lap. So I'd imagine they have fitted an overflow pipe to prevent you filling it to the point where this would happen.

I put a red line on the picture below. This is the de facto maximum level of fuel you can put in this tank, even though it may look like it is possible to put more in when the bike is leaning over on its sidestand.

That's just physics, if you try to fill a tank higher than the filler neck, the fuel will just spill out anyway.

It's the price you pay for hipster styling, if the filler cap was in the centre of the tank, it wouldn't be possible to overfill it with the bike on the sidestand and they wouldn't have had to fit an overflow in the tank so far down.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=101759

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

daleshorey wrote:

They are not interested in helping or refunding. Definitely cowboys

So far you haven't mentioned anything that would warrant a refund, or, even help, beyond don't over fill the tank

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:12 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

daleshorey wrote:
They are not interested in helping or refunding. Definitely cowboys

Not from what I've heard.

But yes, Stinkwheel has explained there. Is it leaking out of the cap after you've filled beyond the actual capacity it can handle when upright...? Does seem awkward, but then again... the price you pay for style these days. Wink

dales1433
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:46 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you move the red line down substantially.

Seems like these responses are suggesting it's reasonable to have a bike pour petrol over a hot engine.. I'm not sure how to even respond to this...

Last edited by dales1433 on 17:23 - 13 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:19 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

daleshorey wrote:

Seems like these responses are suggesting it's reasonable to have a bike pour petrol over a hot engine.. I'm not sure how to even respond to this...

Anyone thinking about buying this bike shouldn't

It is reasonable. If you overfill.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

daleshorey wrote:

Any bike will leak petrol if you overfill it.

best option would be not to overfill it, and don't fill it last thing before you park up.

Bikes can release way more than a thimble of overflowed petrol. I had a group email about my bike leaking fuel when I made the above mistake due to this on a hot day. They had put up plastic barriers round it because of my mistake. Thankful they spotted it.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:24 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

daleshorey wrote:

Seems like your response is to ignore any reasonable thoughts and suggestions about why it may be happening and just continue to beat your crying drum.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:42 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

daleshorey wrote:

If you overfill my bike, the fuel runs out of the fuel cap vent, runs down the tank and soaks into your crotch THEN drips onto the hot engine.

But I'd imagine, as I said before, that there would normally be a hose that directs any overflow down to the road and that this may have become detached. It also sounds plausible that your tank may have an excessively short overflow pipe.

What did the dealer say when you asked them about it? Because it will almost certainly be something really simple.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've just had a look at pictures of the Mutts and they have a weird offset filler cap. It's a styling cue from older harleys which had a 2-part fuel tank with a filler for each side.

Aye, my Savage had an offset cap. If I filled the bike on the side stand, it'd piss out as soon as I levelled the bike out. I just got used to filling it whilst sitting on the bike, holding it upright.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

dales1433
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:30 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutt are saying it's not a fault and it's designed this way. Can't / won't offer any help. The company that sold the bike have checked it over and say there's no issues with the overflow pipe ect.

This isn't overfilling the engine or filling the tank to the brim. I left about an inch of space from petrol to top of the tank as instructed in the Manual. When I noticed this problem I had lost about a litre of petrol which leaked through the centre of the engine (so hard to locate the source) and over the air cylinder.

If I had known this before buying I wouldn't have purchased the bike.

Last edited by dales1433 on 17:33 - 13 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:32 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the pipe go to.

It sounds like you are being a tool and putting too much in.

Mutt have designed it that way, its purely for some hipster image.

There can't be an issue, its overflowing, so it uses the overflow pipe.

Get a bike with a tank that is designed to be filled?

dales1433
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:41 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more. I will get a bike where you can fill the tank. Who would knowingly buy a bike you couldn't..?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:45 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

daleshorey wrote:
Who would knowingly buy a bike you couldn't..?

Clearly yourself? Does science kinda skip over your head?

If you fill up on the side stand... which is on the left and then stand the bike up, it'll spill.

Filling bike up whilst upright would kinda fix the issue you are having? Can you not just do that?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:48 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know that it is possible to extinguish a lit cigarette in a jar of petrol dont you?

Actually did it as a demonstration for one of my lads on the patio when I mixed up some 2T for the strimmmer, and they were going on and on about thier 'mates' in Dukes of Hazard fire-ball fantacies....

As has been said, you buy hipster style chinky-bike, then complain that YOU spill petrol when you over-fill the tank.

That's a bit like moaning that a kitchen knife is dangerous cos you cut yourself chopping onions!

User-Error is NOT a manufacturing or design defect!!!!

When you buy a bike compromised for style over practicality, THIS is the sort of thing you have to expect to live with and accomodate... like any over chromes harleyesque cruiser, not having the acceleration of a plastic fantastic sports bike, or a table-top-landing suspended dirt bike with shy high CofG and knobly tyres having the precission handling in the twisties on tarmac!

Then, when you buy a budget option chinese made machine, with sticker price placed above practicality in the priorities... WHAT THE FRIGG do you expect!!

Its a motorbike Fer-Fugg-Sake, NOT an Audi! The auto 'off' on the petrol pump is NOT designed to work on what's basically a garden petrol can on the bike, and does not have a five inch filler pipe in which the vacuum can suck air to be sure that the tanks not flooding over the cap!

Go learn to fill a lawn-mower can, without spilling...

THEN.. when you have mastered that.. MAYBE you can try tackling a motorbike fill-up.

In the mean time; you have been told that this is NOT a major product recall scandal by folk, who between us have effing centuries of biking experience, and more than a few, as much experience of motorcycle mechanics, and a few of us, quite a lot of experience and qualification in the field of design and manufacture...

Your poublished outrage at the brand, and the dealer, your nafariouse and unqualified remarks about 'The Fault' are just that, and right here, right now... IF there is an argument in law, my money would go on the dealer and manufacturer in a lible suit against YOU.

IF you have REAL issue with the machine... get a QUALIFIED engineer to do a report on 'The Fault'... take that to trading standards... and persue the matter through the propper channels... NOT here, where your ire and slander has been called out for what it seems to be... just that, ire and slander.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:13 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ agreed, fucking amazingly Mr. Green

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

daleshorey wrote:
instructed in the Manuel.

Ignore him. He's from Barcelona.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:55 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
^ agreed, fucking amazingly Mr. Green

It's quite terrifying when you find yourself agreeing with walls of Teff. Neutral

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:16 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you filling the tank as per manufacturer instructions, which is probably consisted of " the bike being in the centre or side stand" and "level ground".

Sounds like an overfilling issue, along with a potential defect in the release pipe also.

Side note: If you've come to bad mouth a manufacturer, or retailer, get your shit in order first. I've perused the internet for approximately one million weeks now, and this is by far and away the most knowledgeable forum I've ever used. You're buying learner 125's, Chinese to boot, and joined the forum today. I've automatically discredited your opinion on each of these bases.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:17 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with the OP in that it shouldn't really be overflowing onto the engine itself. Probably a 30 second job to reach up under the tank and reconnect the overflow pipe.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's difficult and dark to see where the fuel is leaking from just use a match.
No - try looking with a torch for something obvious - I would!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2