Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mutt motorbikes leak petrol

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should've put the off-set filler cap on the off bike's off-side, then - not the near-side (the side the bike leans to when on the side-stand). Is that one conclusion to draw from all this?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:12 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP - you have my sympathy, but please look for the obvious remedy here. I've looked at the pics of the Mutts. Obvious to me that, with the filler on the right side of the tank, if the fill-up is performed with the bike on the side stand, petrol will overflow once the bike is upright. Therefore ideal to fill with it on the centre stand, or while astride the bike. (but some filling stations take a dim view of this procedure)

My bike has a central filler, and no overflow pipe. I always fill the tank with the bike on the side stand, also only up as far as the bottom of the 'neck' extension. When I first had the bike, I was putting too much petrol in, ie just above that neck extension, and the fuel would 'capillary' out through the vent in the cap. Tef will know what I mean, as I think my tank is fairly similar to thiose on a few of the bikes he is familiar with!

Persevere OP, and hopefully you will get to enjoy the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
They should've put the off-set filler cap on the off bike's off-side, then - not the near-side (the side the bike leans to when on the side-stand). Is that one conclusion to draw from all this?

Looking at that image, that is precisely what they've done, it's the same as on my Mash

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-Scooter-Kickstand-Side-Stand-Adjustable-Black-/173242648621

Put this on the other side, just for when you're filling up. Problem solved £6.86

dales1433
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:39 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last bike was a Suzuki Bandit. I’ve rode bikes for a good few years and across different countries. Recently an R Nine T across Portugal, however, I’m not an expert and do respect the views of engineers and enthusiasts on here that are trying to help.

I purchased the 250 Mutt for a quick 5-minute ride to work each day. I agree I shouldn't have purchased Chinese and have learnt a lesson here. There isn’t a centre stand on these bikes and the fuel leak isn’t from the cap. I’m not an engineer but couldn’t find the source, but the RAC couldn’t find the source either, they could only confirm the fuel had leaked over the engine and traveled through the air cylinder. The RAC wouldn’t have taken the bike on the back of a flatbed truck for 1.5 hours if they could have quickly fixed the problem. From other research it seems maybe its the charcoal canister blocking which causes the bike to feel like it’s cutting out when trying to ride.

I also expected it should be an easy fix. A loose pipe ect.. The bike looks great in my view and was fun to ride… But I have a list of MOT firms that have responded to say this is an MOT failure, quoting 6.1.3 from the MOT testers manual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales1433 wrote:
fuel leak isn’t from the cap.

No-one is saying it is. It's from the overflow pipe.

dales1433 wrote:
I’m not an engineer

That's pretty fucking obvious.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales1433 wrote:

I purchased the 250 Mutt for a quick 5-minute ride to work each day. I agree I shouldn't have purchased Chinese and have learnt a lesson here.

Absolutely nothing to do with the country of origin

dales1433 wrote:

There isn’t a centre stand on these bikes...

You will find that is pretty much the norm now, no matter what manufacturer..

dales1433 wrote:

and the fuel leak isn’t from the cap.

Nobody has said it is.. Almost guaranteed to be the overflow pipe, have you found the overflow pipe, I'm guessing not ..

dales1433 wrote:

I’m not an engineer ...

NSS

dales1433 wrote:

but the RAC couldn’t find the source either,

The RAC staff are generally not very knowledgable when it comes to motorbikes..

dales1433 wrote:

The RAC wouldn’t have taken the bike on the back of a flatbed truck for 1.5 hours

Yes they would, they don't know what the fault is, and can't fix it at the road side.
dales1433 wrote:

I also expected it should be an easy fix.

As said before, it almost certainly doesn't need 'fixing', however, just to humour you ..

Have you checked the seals on the fuel pump, and the fuel level sensor ? I suspect not ..

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does a leak from the overflow for the tank reach the inside of the engine?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

Eh?? At what point has anybody mentioned a leak from the overflow getting into the engine??

May Bee
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:04 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode a mutt for over a year, never a single issue with the filler cap and found the folk in Birmingham extremely helpful with every query I had.

If you overfill a glass with water then walk with it at speed some will spill out. Are you from a rival brand or just daft as a brush?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:35 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the third time I've asked what the dealer said about the problem.

You obviously joined this forum specifically to share your displeasure about the dealer and his product and have referred to them as "cowboys" yet more than one member of the forum has the opposite experience of them. I'd imagine it would be in both your and their interests to find the solution to whatever the problem is that you're having

Someone WILL ask them if you don't tell us. This forum gets very high results on google searches, if there is a problem with these bikes or the dealer, people need to know. Equally, if there is not a problem, they need to know that too.

It would be great if we could help you to fix and enjoy your motorcycle.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:

Eh?? At what point has anybody mentioned a leak from the overflow getting into the engine??

dales1433 wrote:
they could only confirm the fuel had leaked over the engine and traveled through the air cylinder

Now, thats me assuming what he means by air cylinder.. i don't know of any other air cylinder on a motorcycle.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:58 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's draining fuel into the airbox, it could be a vapour breather it's coming down.

If it was an older bike I'd wonder if there was a leaky float valve? However it'll be FI and I have only a very sketchy idea of how that works. Could a valve stick open in the fuel pump?

dales1433
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:12 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate it Stinkwheel. Nice of you to want to help resolve. For me I’ve decided the bike is unsafe and I picked up a car whilst I look for another bike. I’m contemplating between a Triump Street Twin or one of the Moto Guzzi V7’s or a V9 – Any advice or suggestions of similar bikes welcome so I pick up the right thing next time??

The Mutt was only 3 months old, 300 or so miles on the clock. Worn in correctly. It’s under warranty so went back to the dealer "on the wheel" which is also a service and MOT centre.

They checked over the bike and said there wasn’t any problems. I assume they checked the seals on the fuel pump and fuel sensor level, that the hose hadn’t become detached, or if there was a potential defect in the release pipe.

After they had communicated with Mutt, their response was there is nothing wrong with the bike. The “issue” was just that I overfilled. Mutt responded independently to say the same. That the manual tells you what will happen if you overfill. The manual doesn’t say what will happen but does provide a picture showing you should leave an inch when filling, which I thought I had when I filled it. I certainly didn’t brim the tank.

“On the wheel” at first told me they had 3 other Mutts back with the same problem and a memo from Mutt telling them something about this issue. When the sales team got back to me to say there’s no fault with the bike they claimed the person that had told me this was wrong.

It seemed like the petrol could have been leaking from what I assume is the carbon filter, or charcoal canister, but it also looked like the petrol could have leaked from another point as there was petrol on other parts of the engine.

I think the overflow in the tank is further down than they suggest in the manual, and therefore maybe the tank can take a significant amount more petrol than it can deal with. Maybe routing between the engine and swing arm is its issue and its just the volume it can’t handle. Either way Petrol exits the bike in an unsafe fashion and in substantial volumes. I think Mutt know there’s a problem with the bike and hope they can avoid this by people filling the tank half way or by two thirds max. Problem is people will buy these second hand in a few years and might not get the manual. They will fill it up and it will piss petrol near the engine casings and crate a puddle of petrol by their feet. I’m sure they could do something to resolve the issue, I actually expect they already are on the current bikes being made.

2Hondas
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered riding it to the dealers with a can of petrol, and filling it up in front of them to demonstrate the problem?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
dales1433 wrote:
"]
but the RAC couldn’t find the source either,

The RAC staff are generally not very knowledgable when it comes to motorbikes..

Indeed, I was asked "can it be topped up" when they arrived to recover me when my fork seals burst on a large pot-hole.

My answer was "yes if you're able to support the front end of the bike with the wheel off the road, but it'll piddle out again as soon as you try to ride it"

"ah"

The RAC and AA staff are fitters, generally they're good at what they do, trouble shoot and fix basic issues at the roadside or quickly recover the vehicle - many don't have first hand experience with bikes although a number of them do have bikes / have had.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:56 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A contact tells me you need to call Mutt, and ask for a guy called Tyler Durden. He can help.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

post a video? demonstrate the problem?

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seemed like the petrol could have been leaking from what I assume is the carbon filter, or charcoal canister, but it also looked like the petrol could have leaked from another point as there was petrol on other parts of the engine.

This is the crucial bit. It sounds a bit like the evaporative emission control system is getting sodden with fuel, which is then leaking out, possibly from its air inlet (which may or may not be in the airbox). A bit of an irony given what it's there for! I wonder if the problem might be solved by clamping off the pipe that goes from the tank to the charcoal filter and fitting a tank cap with a breather in it.

If it is indeed critical that the tank is not filled to more than a certain level below the filler neck, there really ought to be a metal tag in the tank showing the maximum mark. Saying don't fill it more than about an inch below the top isn't really good enough as it can be quite hard to judge the depth of a clear liquid when looking from above.

Demonstrating the problem to the dealer with a can of petrol sounds like a good idea. Hopefully they'll be helpful if they can see the problem first hand.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
You obviously hate this "fault" & its put you off the bike for good.
I'll take it off your hands, faulty.
For the price of a "faulty bike".
Solution?

cheers,
GAZ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2