Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Re-proofing trousers - worth it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re-proofing trousers - worth it? Reply with quote

I've got a pair of AlpineStars Andes trousers that I've had for about 3 years now, and if I ride in the rain, after about 10 miles I get a wet knob. Looking like you've pissed yourself isn't the ideal look for working in the office.

Has anyone had any success with re-proofing sprays or washes, or should I just chuck them and buy something better?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:31 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are Neverleak Panties and I claim my five ponds.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Re-proofing trousers - worth it? Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
Has anyone had any success with re-proofing sprays or washes, or should I just chuck them and buy something better?

Well. As it happens I saw this in Aldi today, and at £1.99 it's gotta be worth a punt at least?

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You are Neverleak Panties and I claim my five ponds.

It's a fair cop

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:51 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£780 pledged of £105,796 goal

Laughing

Looks like you're going to have to settle for the £1.99 can of waterproofing stuff Freddyfruitbat found at Aldi.

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

no reproofing does not work ...
but gore tex does .. i've had a pair of Austrian army gore tex pants for must be 8 yrs treat them once a yr never leaked .. just keep them away from the radiator (really bad for them)
best £100 I ever spent .. use them for sea fishing also (quick wash there fine )

textile can not be reproofed unless you add the micro plastic coating .. which you cant .....
go gore tex

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does work as long as the trousers are in reasonable condition. I'd recommend Nikwax TX direct - it's excellent stuff. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Yes it does work as long as the trousers are in reasonable condition. I'd recommend Nikwax TX direct - it's excellent stuff. Thumbs Up

This.

And read the instructions carefully.
Dirt is the main cause of clothing wick-ing water.
Remove the dirt and that blocks the water migration.
(Must be capillary action or something.)

Nikwax doesn't like some detergents so their detergent should be used unless you know what their stuff is made from.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikwax tech wash and tk direct wax in the washing machine has sorted my hein gerik kit that I'd stopped using due to it not being waterproof anymore and keeps my Halversons kit waterproof.

The way I've had it explained to me is the wash gets rid of dirt that allows the water to sit in the fabric helping it soak through, the wax helps it bead to run off instead of soak in.

usually can just wash at Christmas then wash and wax in November and I'm waterproof for the year's commuting.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Ive used nikwax a few times & i dont get the dreaded wet crotch, even on the old, cheap textiles.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:38 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to a motorcycle podcast today that suggested simply washing the textiles. Remove the armour and lining and stick it in the washing machine. Apparently dirt gets in the gore tex pores and keeps them open for water to get through.

Not sure how accurate this is, but it's worth a go before spraying it with some unknown gunk though, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Not sure how accurate this is, but it's worth a go before spraying it with some unknown gunk though, right?

Hmm. My understanding is that by using regular detergent, rather than the special stuff, you're likely to remove what remaining proofing agent is there, and make the situation worse

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:47 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Hmm. My understanding is that by using regular detergent, rather than the special stuff, you're likely to remove what remaining proofing agent is there, and make the situation worse

Don't use detergent then I guess!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally only wear leather troos on the bike rain or shine. They have been cleaned with nikwax leather cleaner and waterproofed with nikwax leather waterproofing and never let water in. They look just like they did when not proofed. The compound lives under the surface.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the seam tape/weld has failed then no kind of aftermarket profing will help. I destroyed two sets of IXS trousers because the seam taping was poor.

Tech wash and then TX wax (or similar process) helps rain bead off the outer alyer of textiles and stops the outer layer saturating as fast, so can restore some performance to old kit.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
If the seam tape/weld has failed then no kind of aftermarket profing will help. I destroyed two sets of IXS trousers because the seam taping was poor.

Tech wash and then TX wax (or similar process) helps rain bead off the outer alyer of textiles and stops the outer layer saturating as fast, so can restore some performance to old kit.

I've found this to be true, once the seams leak it's game over and on trousers they are the weak link.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
once the seams leak it's game over and on trousers they are the weak link

You need.... NappyPal Thumbs Up

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I was listening to a motorcycle podcast today that suggested simply washing the textiles. Remove the armour and lining and stick it in the washing machine. Apparently dirt gets in the gore tex pores and keeps them open for water to get through.

That's exactly what goretex does - wash and gently tumble dry. I do treat mine with nikwax as the washing agent but you don't need to.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not noticed a big difference in liner performance after washing kit with cheaper goretex-like waterproof liners, but maybe less breathable cheap stuff suffers less?

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:15 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same gear, and I can confirm that all the Nixwaxing products in the world can't save you now.

Buy new gear.

Sorry.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:25 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same problem as a last resort before buying new gear i've been tempted to apply the wax thats used on wax cotton jackets, it works on old Belstaff and Barbour jackets, anyone else tried this?
If not i'll report back later once i've tried it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
MarJay wrote:

That's exactly what goretex does - wash and gently tumble dry. I do treat mine with nikwax as the washing agent but you don't need to.

You probably will not see much of the Gortex part of a Gortex garment.

The Gortex membrane is a thin sheet of ptfe material. It is protected from abrasion and tears between layers of fabric. The outer fabric will habe a water repellent quality that can be compromised by dirt.
The dirt simply wicks moisture into the garment or becomes saturated and the evaporative pressure between you and the outdoors is defeated.

When the dirt is washed out using a detergent (which loosens and then keeps dirt in suspension to be rinsed away) the waterproof quality goes out with the water and therefore must be replaced.

I use nikwax products as they work well and they have the most comprehensive range of products that will treat materials from wool, cotton, nylon to leather.

Was that a punt or wot?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to clean out the washing powder drawer and run a rinse cycle before washing the gear as most washing powder contains some form of bleaching agent which gets rid of waterproofing and can affect the waterproof membrane

my hein gerrike stuff I'd stopped wearing as it was as waterproof as a towel despite hand washing it in the bath with nikwax tech wash and tk direct.

I gave it a go in the washing machine and it did the job, it's not heavy downpour waterproof but another run through would probably get it towards that.

As has been said, it's worth a punt

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gore-tex.co.uk/gore-tex-wash-instructions

WASH
Machine wash on a warm permanent press cycle (105°F/40°C) using a small amount of liquid detergent. Rinse twice, and minimize spinning to reduce creasing. Don’t use powder detergents, fabric softeners, stain removers, or bleach. Don’t wash with heavily soiled clothing.

DRY*
Line dry your garment, or tumble dry it on a warm, gentle cycle. Once it’s dry, tumble dry the garment for 20 minutes to reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment on the outer fabric. You can do this anytime you notice the water repellency needs a boost.

* Do not tumble dry GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ garments

DRY CLEAN*
We recommend home laundering. But if professional dry cleaning is necessary, request that the cleaner use clear distilled hydrocarbon solvent (a bit of a mouthful, we know) for rinsing, and then spray DWR on the garment’s outer fabric before drying.

* Does not dry clean GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ garments.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:36 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Nikwax tech wash and TK direct for mine then treat the outside with the scotchgard to increase the water repellency. I currently have a jacket that's 10 years old and its still working well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1