Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOT expires on Friday, when exactly?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: MOT expires on Friday, when exactly? Reply with quote

If my MOT expires on Friday is it at 23.59 similar to insurance so I'll be fine to ride it to and from work and then up to a pre-booked MOT on the Saturday?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:59 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody checks anyway. I was riding for a good 6 months with no MOT last year. Must have passed hundreds of ANPR cameras.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:00 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=mot+expiry+time+of+day

(the MOT is valid up to midnight on the expiry date)

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=mot+expiry+time+of+day

(the MOT is valid up to midnight on the expiry date)

cheers dude

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:19 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nobody checks anyway. I was riding for a good 6 months with no MOT last year. Must have passed hundreds of ANPR cameras.

I suspect not - or specifically not ones that report back to the DVLA

I've known people to do it for a good while - it seems most of the places that mention DVLA related ANPR in static cameras are probably lying.

However, a good few years ago I got new MOT on a Friday and a tax disc in the post office just before a trip into London.
Got pulled for a light I think and they look over my bike, they are disapointed when my reply to "oh, where's your tax disc" is "here you go" as I take it out of my wallet.
(They also weren't a fan of me riding with no gloves, shorts and t-shirt - or maybe even without a t-shirt.)

Someone I know got stopped more recently on the M25 with no MOT. They'd been driving for a little bit without it and using the M25 in that time as well as other motorways and A roads.
It was actually a police car parked in a motorway service petrol station facing the return road that got them.

Last edited by G on 11:38 - 13 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with stinkwheel. You would be incredibly unlucky to get pulled.

Daughter 2 was the best part of a year running round with no MOT, wifie a good few months,

Both blamed me for not telling them Rolling Eyes

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:35 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed ANPR cameras don't usualy report live hits to anyone, they store for review for 90 days, Nobody is checking for MOT at all, Police car fitted units hit for Tax and Insurance with the MOT covered in the subsequent stop or they will pull ropey looking vehicles for a roadside check and DVLA is not interested in whether you are MOT,d at all as enforcement is outside their remit.

Last edited by Monkeywrencher on 11:53 - 13 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Wrong.

APNR cares. 😂

I was accosted by the cuntstabyoularry on my bike for expired MOT. 😞

I posted about how fit the police woman was. 👍

The cop was fine and said the APNR bleated when they pulled up behind me at lights on Great Western Road Glasgow.
Explained they don't care that much as my bike looked in good nick but that if APNR picks it up they have to pursue.
The chap said he have offered a producer if up to him but APNR brings with it a Fixed Penalty £100 charge.

It's one of the cruel issues we the paying public suffer due to a non paying minority of abusers.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:01 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited this to say no MOT, which was what I meant to write, not no Tax...
G wrote:

Someone I know got stopped more recently on the M25 with no MOT. They'd been driving for a little bit without it and using the M25 in that time as well as other motorways and A roads.
It was actually a police car parked in a motorway service petrol station facing the return road that got them.

The police car waiting specifically triggered, the followed and stopped on the no MOT. (Vehicle did have tax.)

Oh and it's non-endorsable of course and I think the current bribe is £100.
So someone who's done it a few times and then gets done may still be financially better off!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Edited this to say no MOT, which was what I meant to write, not no Tax...
G wrote:

The police car waiting specifically triggered, the followed and stopped on the no MOT. (Vehicle did have tax.)

Oh and it's non-endorsable of course and I think the current bribe is £100.
So someone who's done it a few times and then gets done may still be financially better off!

So long as the vehicle has no defects and can sail through an mot test.
You might draw the full weight of the law upon your arse with a construction and use charge.
Points and higher bribe.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made

Caveat emptor. 🤣

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:35 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

You might draw the full weight of the law upon your arse with a construction and use charge.

Yes, indeed.
As it goes, when I got stopped in London and had just got MOT and Tax they made a point of a C&U issue. "But it just passed MOT", I innocently protested.
Of course, also passing an MOT doesn't mean you're clear of that!

I would have stood my ground more with their moaning about my attire if that hadn't been the case. (Ie they hadn't been moaning at all the people on push bikes doing the same speed as me!)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1