Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BCF members opinions on choppers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

I'm not talking about OCC or Jesse James biker build off TV aids, I'm mainly talking about cb550 diggers, shovelhead chops, old Harleys, triumphs and BSAs. Look at Powerplant Choppers, 4Q Conditioning type of work. more traditional, sensible rakes and fork length, etc.

Can you appreciate the bringing an old bike back to life but in a more stylised manner?

I get the vibe this forum is more suited to sensible 600cc Japanese standard bike riders and adventure bike granddads, but I was thinking what are your opinions on these bikes.

or just call me a hipster and roll off on your fazer winter 'hack'

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft........... Hipsters

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the national motor museum in Beaulieu there is an Ariel square 4 chop.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0jQMlw1rhhY/V6egdLIRSRI/AAAAAAAAIlg/lP7x2_WnKccgZ_du7jcBbQiuqFP_XsxhACLcB/s1600/IMG_3742.JPG

The purists hate it.

Just thought you would like to know. Cool

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hipster.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why stop at BCF members opinions? Poll people in the high street. Get an online poll of students under 25. Reach out to the gay and lesbian community for their input too.

Or.

Just ride a frikkin bike, if you like it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Why stop at BCF members opinions? Poll people in the high street. Get an online poll of students under 25. Reach out to the gay and lesbian community for their input too.

Or.

Just ride a frikkin bike, if you like it.

What about transgender Folded arms
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's anything really hipster about really out there raked out choppers IMO. But they aren't and never will be good bikes for UK roads or any roads in fact. When you make such an extreme geometry bike that has next to no suspension and brakes it's 100% about a look or style and has nothing in common with a useful working motorbike.

I get people taking bits off bikes to lighten them, or re-building a crashed sports bike with Renthal bars because skint and needs to ride to work or just get back on the road.

I also get some of the original concept bobber bikes and people trying to make newer incarnations of them. If you start with a cruiser, and lose lots of excess weight, bulk and equipment, then tune the engine and improve the brakes and ground clearance by using stuff like higher pipes, no stand etc then your left with a better riding and performing bike at the expense of practically and style.

Trying to make a stripped back bike for looks or because you think it's better than the Base bike is really missing the point, and that's what all the brown ribbed leather plank seat brigade fail to see or understand. They'll continue to delude themselves and anyone that'll listen that what they are making is the epitome of style, until there's no bikes left for them to mess with.

Saving an old bike from scrap if it's going to have a useful life and be ridden is one thing, but butchering say an old XS250 frame to make something to put in a shop window that'll never run or ride right again, and can't be restored due to irreversible frame mods is just shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-57ZmFh_uptk/VoE6jS73jFI/AAAAAAAAngo/WuTeXEO258M/s1600/vincentchop_Shobba_Sideburn.jpg

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
or just call me a hipster and roll off on your fazer winter 'hack'

Hipster!

And it's a Bandit, actually.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:46 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
a more stylised manner

That's a matter of opinion.

Most of the time, the stylised manner involved hacking away at the frame with an angle grinder, painting stuff matt black, bolting on a few shiney chrome bits and then trying to sell it for a premium. Laughing

the typical wannabe chopper builder wrote:
bit of a wanker. building bikes in the shed, cutting and welding frames generally have no idea what I'm doing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
Can you appreciate the bringing an old bike back to life but in a more stylised manner?

Do up your old bike "as original". Buy a version of something newer and more plentiful to chop.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

( 8< )
The purists hate it.

In its day it must have been quite stylish! That's one of the later ones. My dad had one (not chopped, but with a sidecar on it).

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin bought this over the summer. I give him a bit of shit about it, but I haven't seen it in the flesh yet and would quite like to have a go on it. It did however, rattle half the seat bolts off and the reg rec worked itself loose after the first ride.

https://scontent-lht6-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/4b17cdfd2965a8d3a19f8ac5e9e9796b/5C76614B/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/40094427_1105424846299791_8578206587266407149_n.jpg

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prettiest bike I've owned was a Suzuki Savage. In reality, feet forward doesn't bode well for commuting in the rain since your waterproofs inflate, and any bumps are transmitted straight up your spine since you can't use your legs to brace yourself at all. The speedo in the tank keeps the lines clean, but steals a lot of space that would be better spent on holding fuel, in an already small tank. Given the MPH performance, 50MPG is piss poor - my Enfield is both faster and more fuel efficient.

Would I have another? Possibly, it still made me smile when I saw it. But it's style over substance.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

winz wrote:
My cousin bought this over the summer. I give him a bit of shit about it, but I haven't seen it in the flesh yet and would quite like to have a go on it. It did however, rattle half the seat bolts off and the reg rec worked itself loose after the first ride.

https://scontent-lht6-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/4b17cdfd2965a8d3a19f8ac5e9e9796b/5C76614B/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/40094427_1105424846299791_8578206587266407149_n.jpg

How does he oil the chain?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

( 8< )
The purists hate it.

In its day it must have been quite stylish! That's one of the later ones. My dad had one (not chopped, but with a sidecar on it).

Dunno how the oil is fed on the Square 4, but with that rake, wouldn't it pool at the back and starve the engine?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
I'm talking about Choppers, '

For large trees, I prefer a two handed chopper.
For kindling, I prefer a small short single handed chopper. Thumbs Up
Keep them as sharp as possible Laughing

As for bikes? Yes I do own a 600cc bike.
However, as anyone who knows me here will tell you, my preference is for Eastern European old clunkers and 250’s.
That is at odds with your idea of BCF

If you like choppers, then good for you.
Of course we will take the piss, live with it.
A chopper is better than no bike at all, nearly? Laughing

Last edited by pepperami on 13:50 - 14 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:

How does he oil the chain?

Run it dry, O ring chains only need lubricating to stop corrosion, if only doing modest mileage (optimistic) a chain would last at least a couple of years without.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:53 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chops have their place. There can be form and function. I struggle to keep up with my mate on his Uncle Bunt, plunger framed Z650. This is an old picture but he's had it since 1986. The engine is well poked, the frame is stiff and the geometry has been well thought out so it handles.
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/11050728_10206150116415902_7038023413807022179_o.jpg

Another mate made a BSA A7 chop as an homage to the early 70's. Again, cool as fuck. Unfortunately spat flames back out of the open bellmouths and burned to the ground.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/Big_Chris_Chop.jpg

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:28 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

If you're all about styling of bikes and the image you want to portray is that you aren't interested in riding bikes because you like to make the handing worse... go for it Smile.

Quote:
he's had it since 1986. The engine is well poked, the frame is stiff and the geometry has been well thought out so it handles.

Maybe compared to cheap bikes available in 1986.
Compared to a cheap bike now - it handles terrible and is really slow, I bet. Smile
(Often see A G/J ZX6 come up for around £1k or below (or C/E ZX9R) - from about £750 for a tatty one - will get to 60 in 3 seconds and keep going to nigh-on 160mph, brakes will lift the rear at 130mph if they are kept in good nick and handling is very reasonable for road use.)

If handling is improved by removing rear suspension, it does rather show the failings of the original design.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Dunno how the oil is fed on the Square 4, but with that rake, wouldn't it pool at the back and starve the engine?

It might wet-sump at the back and actually over oil. I can't remember where the pickup is, it might be in the middle.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:38 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

G wrote:

Quote:
he's had it since 1986. The engine is well poked, the frame is stiff and the geometry has been well thought out so it handles.

Maybe compared to cheap bikes available in 1986.
Compared to a cheap bike now - it handles terrible and is really slow, I bet. Smile
(Often see A G/J ZX6 come up for around £1k or below (or C/E ZX9R) - from about £750 for a tatty one - will get to 60 in 3 seconds and keep going to nigh-on 160mph, brakes will lift the rear at 130mph if they are kept in good nick and handling is very reasonable for road use.)

If handling is improved by removing rear suspension, it does rather show the failings of the original design.

There is a certain degree of rider factor too, I do know if you take outright speed out of the equation on a twisty b-road, I really struggle to keep up with that bike, even on my VFR. However, those uncle bunt frames were always well regarded.
The bike has full rear suspension, and it's adjustable for compression and rebound preload, there is a seperate spring for each. It's just not conventional. There is an absolutely minimal amount of frame flex and no swingarm.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
However, as anyone who knows me here will tell you, my preference is for Eastern European old clunkers and 250’s.
That is at odds with your idea of BCF

That's very interesting. I've got an old M63 somewhere. Any 'sperience? I've a bit...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:48 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

It's dry sump, oil is end-fed into the crank for pressure fed shell bearings. It's then scavenged from the bottom of the sump and fed to the top-end or returned to the tank.

Feed oil pickup is from the bottom of the oil tank, which is seperate to the engine.

Canting the engine back might lead to an increased amount of oil sitting about in the sump until it reaches the scavenge outlet. As Reiju says, MIGHT cause a touch of wet-sumping which would usually lead to excessive ring blowpast and blue smoke.

I've seen a racing special Triumph T140 with the whole engine rotated forwards 90 degrees.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2