Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BCF members opinions on choppers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:08 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The bike has full rear suspension, and it's adjustable for compression and rebound preload, there is a seperate spring for each. It's just not conventional. There is an absolutely minimal amount of frame flex and no swingarm.

I always took a chopper to have no rear suspension at all - more reasonable if it does have decent suspension.

Have you tried swapping bikes and riding similar roads on each other's bikes?
(Though the VFR is a bit chunky for my tastes, given decent tyres on both, I'd still take it I think.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:21 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

G wrote:

Have you tried swapping bikes and riding similar roads on each other's bikes?
(Though the VFR is a bit chunky for my tastes, given decent tyres on both, I'd still take it I think.)

He'd probably let me have a go of his. I doubt he'd want to ride mine though. I could probably persuade him to have a go on the Enfield.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are just a tool to do a job and therefore anything that is built purely to convey an “image” is pointless.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Bikes are just a tool to do a job and therefore anything that is built purely to convey an “image” is pointless.

That doesn't apply for me. Yes, for many they are a tool, to get them to and from work quicker by enabling them to jump the traffic queues.

For me, they became a touring tool, an enjoyable way to see what small part of the world I could afford to.

Image? Like I give a flying fuck what you lot think Laughing

But also I ride (rode Sad ) for the pure pleasure of it. I wouldn't really call that a tool, in the purest sense of the word, because other methods wouldn't give me that same enjoyment. My car is a tool. I don't particularly get pleasure from driving it, but it does a job. "Drug" might be a better description for bikes in my case, as I get withdrawal symptoms when I haven't ridden for a while Laughing

The OP asks for opinions, but I suspect he doesn't really want them unless they support his own tastes - something about certain wording in his post. So I would suggest to him that if he wants to build choppers, just get on with it. I don't like them, but I'm not him.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest and admit that I almost went the route of building my own hard tail bike - much like the one posted with the brake sprocket..
Why? Because I enjoy doing stuff like that and fancied something for shits and giggles. I don't use a bike to commute.
I could have gotten a frame from a 125 that's easily converted etc.
I do like those hard tails and the riding position.

What I don't like are those stoopid spread eagled choppers that clearly don't handle and look like a biker tied to a washing line. Too big a rake and too silly handlebars really do look naff.

Using a frame with a V5 and going from there is fine but when I see some of the almost finished 'projects' on Ebay that just need a back bulb and then an MOT.. well they're shit and have destroyed a bike.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a whole spectrum of custom bikes out there, some of them float my boat, some of them don't. I'd rather have something I can use every day.

At which point what the fuck is with these combination brake disk and sproket things? Surely that's a recipe for bad things hapening, or is a rear disk covered in chain lube how you balance the braking effort with an antique single pot caliper up front?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
pepperami wrote:
However, as anyone who knows me here will tell you, my preference is for Eastern European old clunkers and 250’s.
That is at odds with your idea of BCF

That's very interesting. I've got an old M63 somewhere. Any 'sperience? I've a bit...

Experience with 250’s....... “oh yes! A longish list.
I’ve owned a couple of CZ’s

I’ve never owned a chopper Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
However, as anyone who knows me here will tell you, my preference is for Eastern European old clunkers and 250’s.
That is at odds with your idea of BCF

Riejufixing wrote:
That's very interesting. I've got an old M63 somewhere. Any 'sperience? I've a bit...

pepperami wrote:
Experience with 250’s....... “oh yes! A longish list.
I’ve owned a couple of CZ’s

Ah, Comrade, Ural M63 is being Российский мотоцикл.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

You’re as weird as me Neutral

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: BCF members opinions on choppers Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

You’re as weird as me Neutral

How dare you! Grr!

Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the whole bikes are a tool to do a job, especially if it's a competition machine. In racing, motocross or trials etc there's generally only one type of design and layout that really works and all bikes that want to be competitive will follow it.

Sure there's oddball stuff like the Britten, Bimota tesi, KR500's and the Elf bikes etc. But alternative chassis, and steering and suspension arrangements to the well developed and easy to tune conventional types have either never done well, or have not been so much better to justify the cost or complexity. At worst some alternative designs like under engine fuel cells and monocoque chassis designs have been a disaster.

For the road bike, ultimately performance isn't the bottom line as it's easy to exceed what's usable or legal. Therefore alternative designs and styling is there for aesthetic and style reasons, or just to attract a wider variety of people with alternative designs for individualism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
In the national motor museum in Beaulieu there is an Ariel square 4 chop.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0jQMlw1rhhY/V6egdLIRSRI/AAAAAAAAIlg/lP7x2_WnKccgZ_du7jcBbQiuqFP_XsxhACLcB/s1600/IMG_3742.JPG

The purists hate it.

Just thought you would like to know. Cool

I'm not a purist, but that is fucking wank. Sick

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

winz wrote:

I'd risk burning my fat calves on those pipes just so I could ride the tits off that.

Hoonage! Wub

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:42 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
There's a whole spectrum of custom bikes out there, some of them float my boat, some of them don't. I'd rather have something I can use every day.

At which point what the fuck is with these combination brake disk and sproket things? Surely that's a recipe for bad things hapening, or is a rear disk covered in chain lube how you balance the braking effort with an antique single pot caliper up front?

If you are careful to only put lube on the chain in a quantity where it isn't running off, there is no good reason why it should land up on the disc. Oil can't fling to the inside of the sprocket, it can only run there when the bike is stationary.

Nuno YB
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:47 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love cruisers and power-cruisers. Vtl 1800, vzr1800, F6C Valkirie, Rocket III... these, i like.

Home made "choppers"... nope, hate those!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:11 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power cruisers? Laughing

They make crappy amounts of power for the size of their engines.

Nuno YB
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:51 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Power cruisers? Laughing

You're right, mas they have torque, lots of torque. That's what i apreciate, in these days, on a bike. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:11 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Power cruisers? Laughing

VF1100 Sabre.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:23 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm

Do they count as cruisers?

https://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2014/03/article/retro-ride-1984-honda-vf1100s/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Sabre

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:33 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some are great, others not so but that Ariel is great and of its time (the 70s) as they're probably period mods. We'll all look back at hipsters in 20 years and laugh at the beards and all of the brat style stuff some think are 'in' today just like the yoof do at those 70s chops.

I built one about 15 years ago based on a shaft drive XJ650 after getting fed up of riding on the road... raked hardtail frame, 1m wide bars, low seat and painted dark metallic green.

It did not handle, or stop or go very well but it was fun (in a different way) to ride when it worked. It is also one of the only bikes I'd ever buy back if I had the chance, XBD117W where are you now?? (No MoT since 2011 but SORN so still out there somewhere...)

*Edit* found a picture

https://i.imgur.com/lfEAxJs.jpg?1

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda Sabre 1100 I'd describe more as a US market factory custom bike in the same way as stuff like the Kawasaki Eliminator and all the other re-designed for the US Japanese IL3 and IL4's.

The V-max is more of a cruiser in my mind, it's engine wasn't designed for another bike first, and it's chassis and geometry is closer to pure V-twin cruisers though.

Still the real point of that bike is that it had in 1985 145bhp. The most bhp of that year, and no sports bike had that kind of power at that time.

Power isn't all that though I know. It sounds obvious but I was once told by a bike mechanic that a GSX750F would embarrass a V-max away from any set of traffic lights and the Yamaha would never see which way it went. Excess weight and lack of traction are a thing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2