Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Key vs kill switch (stupid question)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Key vs kill switch (stupid question) Reply with quote

What's the difference between using the key to switch off the engine compared to using the kill switch first?

I've had my ninja for just under 3 years and pretty much since day 1 I've had random starting issues.

Press the start button and it will either: start within a second, turn over a couple of times then act like the battery is flat (several presses and it starts normally), turn over a couple of times then thump to a halt (again several presses and it starts normally), turn over a couple of times and backfire like a gunshot before starting.

For the last week or so I've been using the kill switch first and so far only once briefly it turned over slowly, but other than that I've had no problem with starting..... even the issue with starting while the engine is hot problem has gone from trying to start for about a minute to trying to start for 5 seconds.

So why has using the kill switch changed that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of use?
It happens - any machine I have here (drills, grinders etc) are all switched on now and then to make sure they've not gummed up and will work when needed.
Could there be crud build up in that switch on your bike? Is it possible to get inside and make sure the contacts are clean and good??

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling a switch a few times can remove corrosion causing poor contact. It's not as good as cleaning the contacts, at whigh point if you find yourself needing to do so then properly cleaning the contacts i sprobably on the cards. The switch is pretty much identical to your dip/main switch so habitually stopping the bike with the kill switch will not unduly wear out the switch which appears to be a common argument against using it.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:15 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conventionally, the 'ignition-switch'.... most commonly a key-switch, turns on and off the supply 'to' the ignition. A 'Kill' switch, is just that and conventionally 'kills' the engine by earthing the ignition on the low-tension side of the coil.. ie it still gets electric, but it gets short-circuited by the kill-switch so it don't make sparks.

(As aside, in days of yore, with magneto ignitions making sparks only when engine was spinning, and sold like a push-bike, you'd leave unlocked outside the post-office; separate car style ignition switches {they had them to save the coil burning out and battery going flat, taking live from constant battery feed} A 'Key' ignition switch wasn't a common 'standard' feature until the 1960's, when it was more likely an optional extra if offered at all, and many mopeds, particularly European pedal & pop's didn't have one at all.. you locked it up like a push bike... you had to pedal it to get it started.. so who'd even try?! SO, many motorbikes never had an 'ignition switch, just a kill-switch, WHICH I-Seem-To-Recall, was first mandated by the ACU for grass-track and speed-way bikes, back in the 1920's, and was operated by a leather lanyard around the riders wrist.. switch was two sprung contacts normally 'touching' to earth sparks, and rider pushed the end of the leather strap around his wrist between the contacts before he started it; so, when he fell off... leather pulled out from twixt the contacts, ignition earthed out, engine was killed, and 'hopefully' bike didn't carry on without him, into other riders or the crowd... But all a little academic and historical, and probably no help what-so-ever to you... interesting though)

Without looking at wiring diagrams, cant say what you got.. but, as far as the starting anomolies and the back-fire pop.... that shouldn't be down to the switch.

Whether ignition feed switch or LT earth kill, sparks is sparks, you get'em or you dont..... the 'pop' will be that when the sparks dont fire the charge in the hole, that charge gets pumped out the pot into the exhaust; where it can be ignited by hot metal or hot gasses to go bang in the pipe....

IF there's any noteable difference between hoe the engine behaves when you use either switch, its most likely due to the switch itself.... whether there's any condensation or crud twixt the contacts, whether they are worn etc, rather than whether they break circuit before coil, or short-circuit to earth before it....

A-N-D.... most likely switch to have a 'niggle' is the key switch..... it's most used, and has most functions and contacts, and intricacy with the yale mechanism for the lock tumbler.

Your 'emergency' kill switch is probably not showing anomaly on start up, cos unlike key-switch, its rare used and in better nick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andym.... FFS man. You invoked the Tef on that one. 🤣

TLDR

The reason one doesn't use the kill switch is a reliability/maintenance issue.

Stop button functions, especially on some 'modern' ecu controlled equipment are counted. The more number of hits the stop button gets the more likely/probable the switch will malfunction and present starting or running errors/faults DNS.

So it is advised to use the key to switch off and not the button.

I trust this answers your query.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not this again. Mad

To give you an answer. Just using things on motorcycles/cars will keep them functional. Every car owner who never uses the parking brake, the door locks (key to open) and so on, knows what I'm talking about. Electrical switches are the same.

It's quite like the saying ''A rolling stone gathers no moss''.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:07 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar story on my power steering (car) a few years ago.. thought it was a broken motor etc.. Was told to turn the ignition on and off 30+ times. Apparantly the brushes on the motor get stuck/gunky (as described) and turning it on and off repeatedly freed them up to a normal state.

Didnt beleive it till i tried it. Worked a treat.

Danhere
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:50 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Key vs kill switch (stupid question) Reply with quote

andym wrote:
What's the difference between using the key to switch off the engine compared to using the kill switch first?

I've had my ninja for just under 3 years and pretty much since day 1 I've had random starting issues.

Press the start button and it will either: start within a second, turn over a couple of times then act like the battery is flat (several presses and it starts normally), turn over a couple of times then thump to a halt (again several presses and it starts normally), turn over a couple of times and backfire like a gunshot before starting.

For the last week or so I've been using the kill switch first and so far only once briefly it turned over slowly, but other than that I've had no problem with starting..... even the issue with starting while the engine is hot problem has gone from trying to start for about a minute to trying to start for 5 seconds.

So why has using the kill switch changed that?

The kill switch turns the fuel pump off which starves the engine of fuel then engine stops and you have a dry engine bore, You can confirm this by flicking it and the fuel pump runs.

It sounds like you have a internal petrol leak like an injector or carb and the prime pressure is forcing the petrol to leak past and with the miss starts is filling the bore with petrol.

The thump is probably petrol in the bore locking the engine up and the gunshot is it firing and expelling it down the exhaust then the next start is on a dry cylinder as if you flicked the cutoff switch.

You don’t really want to sit with the fuel pump primed for an length of time so that the reason for the switch - if you need lights on but don’t want to start it doesn’t fire the pump.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:37 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the world burn. Kill the engine in gear with the sidestand switch.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Andym.... FFS man. You invoked the Tef on that one. 🤣

TLDR

The reason one doesn't use the kill switch is a reliability/maintenance issue.

Stop button functions, especially on some 'modern' ecu controlled equipment are counted. The more number of hits the stop button gets the more likely/probable the switch will malfunction and present starting or running errors/faults DNS.

So it is advised to use the key to switch off and not the button.

I trust this answers your query.

I've got him set to enemy because I got fed up scrolling for half an hour to get past his posts (I have nothing against him..... if Ste can have an image ban, surely they can set a word limit for his posts).

My bike is 16 years old, so doesn't have any of them fancy gubbins your modern bikes have so it doesn't get running errors/faults etc.

I think Danhere hit the nail on the head with it, as it would explain the very slight difference in time between using the key and the kill switch.

@stinkwheel.... is that with the clutch in or out Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You monster!

I had a friend who always used the kill switch to stop the engine, then one day on a ride to Loomies (about 17 miles away) his bike refused to start, seemed he had knackered his switch in the off position.

So thats why I use the key to turn my ignition off. I think the clue is in the name, emergency cut out switch,.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:49 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Not this again. Mad

To give you an answer. Just using things on motorcycles/cars will keep them functional. Every car owner who never uses the parking brake, the door locks (key to open) and so on, knows what I'm talking about. Electrical switches are the same.

It's quite like the saying ''A rolling stone gathers no moss''.

Not quite.
Handbrake is more of a mechanism that can seize either on or off due to lack of use.
Kill switch should still be tested periodically. Just should not be used as the main means to stop the engine.
It is just Good Practice not to fuck with protective shit.

Danhere
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:45 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

You monster!

I had a friend who always used the kill switch to stop the engine, then one day on a ride to Loomies (about 17 miles away) his bike refused to start, seemed he had knackered his switch in the off position.

So thats why I use the key to turn my ignition off. I think the clue is in the name, emergency cut out switch,.

What do you do when you pull up it’s dark and you want to keep your lights on so you can be seen?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike doesn't have a key, just a start button and a stop button.

and one day when the throttle got stuck open I couldn't turn the engine off Shocked I had to stall it on purpose

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:16 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

even my Harley Davidson has keyless ignition

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
even my Harley Davidson has keyless ignition

Most tractors dont have keys either. Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:34 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danhere wrote:
What do you do when you pull up it’s dark and you want to keep your lights on so you can be seen?

Most ignition switches have three 'on' positions... 1st is accessory, 2nd sparks, 3rd 'park'.... lights will work in any possition, take your pick.... but personally I'd use neutral gear and leave the engine running so the battery dont go flat.
thx1138 wrote:
My bike doesn't have a key, just a start button and a stop button.

Posh bugga... my trials bike has NO switches!
(I have fitted a kill-switch since though, cos of later ACU regs & laziness/bravery!!)
As supplied by the factory (in 1981), it came with the 'optional' lighting kit in a card-board box; that included a short wiring loom with a kill-switch on the small tin-box that actually screwes to the handlebars, with the three position light switch, 'off-dip-main'!!!
Engine 'stop' was supposedly via either a) stalling in gear.. not recommended when 3rd is about as tall as most firsts!) b) reaching down and pulling the spark plug cap.. also not recommended unless you like that cattle-prod sensation, of c) using the cable adjuster on the throttle to drop tick-over beneath stall speed.. which is I believe the 'approved' method of stops!

It actually has the casting boss for a second spark-plug drilling in the head, and clearance for a plug around it in the fining... this was aparently another 'option' like the lights; and was either used to fit a decompressor valve... not really needed on a low-compression two-stroke, other than as an engine 'stop' mechanism, but was apparently more popular on the higher compression enduro versions and the 350's, or for a second spark-plug of colder grade for 'start-up', or of hotter grade for when the plug oiled up on course!!!

Some interesting bits of advice in 1970's dirt-bike publications on the various ways to swap HT caps between them 'on course' or even 'on the move'!!!!! And even recommend in one, I recall that commented on the electrical insulation properties of modern 'synthetic'; riding gloves, especially when wet!!!! I also seem to recall one of those 'Tips' in the write-in column, recomending fitting a jubilee clip with a bit of hose pipe to the HT Cap as an 'insulated handle' to aid swapping between plugs on the move!

Oh! The joys millennial start-on-the-button, e-bay solution bikers will NEVER understand!

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danhere wrote:

I dont..... If I pull up I turn the bike off and get off.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: kill Reply with quote

A kill switch on the r/h/side handle bar is far easier and safer to use rather than fumbling for the key with your brake or clutch hand off the handle bars..........try it when you need to do a practice emergency stop ans see what happens.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: kill Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
A kill switch on the r/h/side handle bar is far easier and safer to use rather than fumbling for the key with your brake or clutch hand off the handle bars..........try it when you need to do a practice emergency stop ans see what happens.

Yet a key is instinctive for almost all of us. I turned mine off via key when an oil feed pipe let go in the outside lane and created a giant James Bond style smokescreen.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:23 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather depends where the key-switch is located, and where your familiar with it being located.

The 'traditional' placement for a key-switch used to be on the right-hand-side panel, cos that was where the electrics gathered.

It migrated to the top-yoke probably in the 1960's, not so much because that was a more conventient place to put it, but, with lights becoming 'standard equipment' that's where most of the wiring was put.

A lot of cruisers, still hark-back to the practice of putting equipment, like the speedo, and switches on the petrol tank, others, to having the key-switch on the side-panel, to keep the head-lamp region 'clutter free' for that all important styling.

As mentioned, my Cota, as supplied in 1981, came without electric equipment 'as standard', mostly because as a competition trials-bike, owner would as like rip it all off anyway, but, if you check the sales brochures for 1950's and 1960's bikes, a LOT of what we would consider basic 'standard' equipment, was in days of yore actually 'optional extras', right through to the 1980's.

It was actually a 'sales feature' of the Japanese bikes, when they started to come into the UK in larger numbers, after the 1973 collaper of the BSA conglomerate, that they had such equipment as lights and indicators, and even a pillion seat 'As standard', because contrary to the common conception that they were 'Cheap' actually they weren't all that much! They tended just to offer a 'lot' for the money, like basic equipment, and performance.

In the UK though, things like headlamps didn't become 'compulsary' equipment, until the mid 1980's!!!! Hence my Cota being sold, road-registered, with basically NO street equipment, not even a kill-switch, exploiting legacy-legeslation...

Curiousely however, I know it's a genuine UK model, because under the fibre-glass tank, there's an aluminium one... Only genuine UK models got these, the rest of the world got full GRP tanks, (Curiousely with a 'sight glass' fuel guage' running up the side!) but for the UK, C&U regs demanded the petrol tank had to be metal, so they cut the GRP in half so it went over the top of an aluminium tank!

Which is a little example of the craziness of beurocracy, demanding motorcycles have metal petrol tanks, probably a decade before they demanded they have things like lights! Also a regulation that has only recently been recinded, and was a reason many models, particularly of Italian motorcycle, that had blow molded PVC petrol tanks.. (you know like the petrol cans they sell in petrol stations!) Weren't imported into the UK through the 1990's!!!!

Trying to think, whether I have ever owned a bike with a side-panel key switch; I seem to recall that the Honda CB500 had one, but I never owned one. Only bike I think that did, was a BSA C15, which FRIGHTENINGLY, I acquired when I was 14, as a trials-chop base, and was a pre-suffix registration, I think circa 1961.. which would, and this is where the scare be, then, in 1985, at less than 25 years old, have been eligible for 'classic' Pre-65 trials, and 'newer' than ANYTHING I currently own! Probably, no, Definitely! including some of my socks!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1