Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Poverty in the UK

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:20 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Hopefully that will be the next big claim, much like the new 'leasehold' saga on new build houses.

I hadn't realised that was a problem.

Surely your solicitor should be telling you all this even if the sellers are tight lipped about it.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:39 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

This is total bollocks, if you believe yourself here then you really don't know a thing about modern British society.

Says the bloke who remained a work dodging student until well into adulthood, then fled to ChinaChinaChina to avoid paying the state back for his student loan. Are you for real?

How much real world experience do you have of British society? Jeremy Corbyn has more and he's never had a real job.

Says the bloke who constantly goes on about living within ones means, adapting to society, making sensible personal decisions and all that shite, who in the same breath seems to think that a person taking 4 years out of their working life to get a university degree in a difficult STEM field, in order to improve things and open doors to the point they're at now, is something to deride. Standard warped logic of people like you, well done.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Hopefully that will be the next big claim, much like the new 'leasehold' saga on new build houses.

I hadn't realised that was a problem.

Surely your solicitor should be telling you all this even if the sellers are tight lipped about it.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-5895861/Did-developers-break-laws-sold-leasehold-homes-sky-high-ground-rents.html

I should imagine that the main people to fall for it are those who use the developer's firms etc. Or if they've px'ed using the developer's schemes etc.

Always get an outside solicitor, worth the extra cost.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:

Says the bloke who remained a work dodging student until well into adulthood, then fled to ChinaChinaChina to avoid paying the state back for his student loan. Are you for real?

How much real world experience do you have of British society? Jeremy Corbyn has more and he's never had a real job.

Says the bloke who constantly goes on about living within ones means, adapting to society, making sensible personal decisions and all that shite, who in the same breath seems to think that a person taking 4 years out of their working life to get a university degree in a difficult STEM field, in order to improve things and open doors to the point they're at now, is something to deride. Standard warped logic of people like you, well done.

He's just bitter and twisted he need to go to night school to get a qualification most of us got before leaving high school.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:01 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

United Republic of Great Britain would:

a) Not be stuck in the dak ages appointing a single family as the Special Ones.

b) Operate under proportionally representative governance, meaning politics remains stable and generally only the Very Good Ideas are passed into legislation. This goes for left and right wing alike. Generally, only the better of both sides would see the light of day.

Is the Queen striking down all these good ideas so they don't see the light of day?

Constitutional Monarchies are generally freer and happier places to live than Republics
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how that's your default response for everything.

It really shows your intelligence and debating skills Wink

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:31 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:

Is the Queen striking down all these good ideas so they don't see the light of day?

Constitutional Monarchies are generally freer and happier places to live than Republics

A little bit off-topic but I'll bite.

I really think you made up that second part on the spot.

List of current constitutional monarchies

About 20% are nice happy 'generally free' western nations.

80% are random nations that most likely aren't any more or less free than any others.

And the final 10% are third world dictatorships and borderline theocracies.

Same goes for Republics, I'm sure.

And that being the case, I see no point in having a set of Special Ones at all. Just on principle really. It's the most absurd, tribalistic, pseudo-heirarchical nonsense in the modern world.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:35 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Monkeywrencher wrote:

A little bit off-topic but I'll bite.

I really think you made up that second part on the spot.

List of current constitutional monarchies

80% are random nations that most likely aren't any more or less free than any others.

Same goes for Republics, I'm sure.

And that being the case, I see no point in having a set of Special Ones at all. Just on principle really. It's the most absurd, tribalistic, pseudo-heirarchical nonsense in the modern world.

what about a list of the happiest most free socially just countries? how many are constitutional monarchies?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Your figures are way off. for a start 20%, 80% and 10% is not doable, at least not in the education system I was brought up in.

But hey, if 110% of people said it was true, it must be Cool

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Your figures are way off. for a start 20%, 80% and 10% is not doable, at least not in the education system I was brought up in.

But hey, if 110% of people said it was true, it must be Cool

Laughing

Mr. Green

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:

what about a list of the happiest most free socially just countries? how many are constitutional monarchies?

Quite a few.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

But I really don't think countries are happier because they have kings and queens. That would be a mistaken application of cause/causation, I think, and from too small a sample. The top of the list in that happiness report is mostly northern European, Canada etc, but other constitutional monarchies from the list list are dotted randomly all over.

Happiness is more likely decided by governance, geography, economy etc. I don't know how a monarchy could really affect that kind of thing.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I don't know how a monarchy could really affect that kind of thing.

When they get married or breed it makes us happy (apparently). If they're so good for the economy then put a donation box outside Buckingham palace. I don't subscribe to the crown estate, they generate their money BS either, I find it hard to fathom how already very wealthy people are subsidised to the tune of hundreds of millions due to some spurious birthright.

Last edited by M.C on 14:29 - 27 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:29 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Monkeywrencher wrote:

Quite a few.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

But I really don't think countries are happier because they have kings and queens. That would be a mistaken application of cause/causation, I think, and from too small a sample. The top of the list in that happiness report is mostly northern European, Canada etc, but other constitutional monarchies from the list list are dotted randomly all over.

Happiness is more likely decided by governance, geography, economy etc. I don't know how a monarchy could really affect that kind of thing.

Works the other way as well though, it offers no evidence that a monarchy is detrimental to the people in those Countries.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Works the other way as well though, it offers no evidence that a monarchy is detrimental to the people in those Countries.

I suspect if we had a referendum right now we'd vote to keep the royal family, although that probably speaks more of all the pro-royal propaganda (that the BBC seem particularly good at).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consensus I have always read is that they easily pay for any costs with the tourism they generate.

Personally I can take them or leave them as a British institution but 1 million percent I would rather have the Queen, Charles or any of his offspring as nominal head of this country than some career arsehole of a politician.

Look at America with Trump, France with Macron or imagine UK with the Black Pig as head of state. Shocked Gagged

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The consensus I have always read is that they easily pay for any costs with the tourism they generate.

Personally I can take them or leave them as a British institution but 1 million percent I would rather have the Queen, Charles or any of his offspring as nominal head of this country than some career arsehole of a politician.

Look at America with Trump, France with Macron or imagine UK with the Black Pig as head of state. Shocked Gagged

I'm not saying we kill them (however... Thinking), just that we don't subsidise a new roof on Buckingham Palace, or security costs when they get married etc.. As I said if they generate that much in tourism then a donation box should suffice, then the queen could do this everyday:

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/612/1*2kLD3EnaJ-6INo0O-MvjzQ.jpeg

If you want a grown-up assessment: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/royal-wedding-family-how-much-uk-economy-benefits-cost-meghan-markle-expense-a8345436.html

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Royals should be able to stand on their own (many) feet by now without help from the public purse. Their branding is stronger than even Maccy-D's.

Regardless, what I really wanted to do is post this for Polarbear:

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
M.C wrote:
If you want a grown-up assessment:

Don't look at The Independent?

Well I meant more grown-up than me posting disney cartoons. I've no idea where they stand in the journalistic world (nor do I care).

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:44 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks from that article that they are a strong net gain financially and then on top of thaare good for public image purposes too.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I think the Royals should be able to stand on their own (many) feet by now without help from the public purse. Their branding is stronger than even Maccy-D's.

Regardless, what I really wanted to do is post this for Polarbear:

Thanks for that..............

May your next shit be a porcupine and come out backwards Folded arms

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
It looks from that article that they are a strong net gain financially and then on top of thaare good for public image purposes too.

I just find it funny, we 'invest' in already wealthy people because of the (apparent) benefits, but when it comes to stuff like schools Tut Tut

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:24 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't get rid of the monarch, it will never happen, they will never let it happen so there is no point in even thinking about it.

Why should they pay for anything, this is their land and country we just pay to work here.

In a real democracy the royals wouldn't have a place but our Queen holds a lot of wealth and land. Our police forces are crown servants, our arm forces are sworn to her and we all pay HMRC every month.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14