Mixture screw

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Mixture screw Reply with quote

Hi guys
This might sound a daft question, I have an ajs regal raptor, it has a twin carb, a pd26js wabron carb, on the fuel bowl there are two screws, they are not the drain screws, they are on the engine side of the carb, my question is, are these the mixture screws. I can't see any other screws and can't seem to find a diagram for this carb to find out.
Any ideas please.

Thanks
Chaza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:19 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From pictures, if they are facing sideways, they are drain screws, if they are facing down, they are the mixture screws. Do not mess with them. Whatever your problem may appear to be, altering the pilot screw position is invariably not the solution.

Unless that problem is either "Someone has fiddled with my pilot screw and now my bike wont idle." or "I have radically altered the state of tune of my motorcycle and while it is idling pretty well, I think it could be tweaked so it runs marginally better."

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is a small one, the bike is running a bit rich, the screws are facing down, so I wanted to weaken it a bit.
Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

at what part of the rev range is it running rich and by how much?
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean, when I clean my plugs they are black indicating rich mix. She idles fine, it has a slight dead spot on the throttle.

Thanks

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

different parts off the carburetor control the mixture at different RPMs, a basic plug check wont tell you what part of the rev range needs altering so you need to do a plug chop or a dyno run.

I suggest looking into plug chops, its cheaper than dyno time.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:10 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's idling normally, don't touch the mixture screws. they only control pretty much the bottom 10% of the rev range.

At what point of the rev range is this dead spot? Have you altered any of the engine componants from standard? When did you last clean your air filter?

Is it burning oil (you having to top it up, get someone to follow you and look for puffs of blue smoke under acceleration or on the overrun)? Black plug electrodes can also result from burning oil.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:17 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
different parts off the carburetor control the mixture at different RPMs

Different throttle openings would be more correct than “different RPMs.”

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had to change the floats, the old ones were full of fuel which effected the buoyancy which is why it was pis sing fuel out of the overflow. So after reinstall, the rubber on the filter side are not on perfectly yet, but I started her this morning, she starts ok, she needs choke, but it is cold, the dead spot seems to be at the start, she seem to unresponsive for the first second or two.
I'll take her out for a test drive again, the last test was just a short one.

Thanks guys

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what a plug chop or dynamic run is. No it's nog burning oil, she is a 12 plate bike
Cheers

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:22 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaza wrote:
I have had to change the floats, the old ones were full of fuel which effected the buoyancy which is why it was pis sing fuel out of the overflow. So after reinstall, the rubber on the filter side are not on perfectly yet, but I started her this morning, she starts ok, she needs choke, but it is cold, the dead spot seems to be at the start, she seem to unresponsive for the first second or two.
I'll take her out for a test drive again, the last test was just a short one.

Thanks guys

If the airbox rubbers aren't fitted properly, you can't make any judgements about how it's running.

If it is an unmodified bike, it should run perfectly well with all the screws in factory position and standard jetting. You've fixed the punctured float, if it was starting and idling well before that happened, it should do so now on exactly the same settings it's always been on.

Check the air filter and engine oil level. Sometimes fuel can land up overflowing into the airbox or engine if you've had leaky floats.

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, the air box rubbers 90%just waiting on new clips, I took it for a run, I did 50 miles, it runs fine, except for the slight dead spot at the start of the throttle twist, thd push, pull cables seem ok, I can't fault it really except for the dead zone I mentioned. Maybe the filter is not fully home as it should be, I'll check later.

Thanks

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, the air box rubbers are 90% in place just waiting on new clips, I took it for a run, I did 50 miles, it runs fine, except for the slight dead spot at the start of the throttle twist, thd push, pull cables seem ok, I can't fault it really except for the dead zone I mentioned. Maybe the filter is not fully home as it should be, I'll check later.

Thanks

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the room to put the carb pipes back together is redicuouslying tight, can I remove the air box and replace it with an after market cone type filter.

Thanks

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:11 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will never run right on a pod filter. Stick with the factory airbox. Dipping the rubbers in hot water will soften them a bit.

When you changed the floats, did you set the float height properly? If the float height is wrong, its going to run poorly.

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:29 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the airbox issue, i can't say yes to the float height, why would it run poorly. I was putting the rubbers back on today, although she runs ok, she don't idle like she should. I noticed when Rev her, the revs are taking longer to drop back.

Thanks

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:37 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floats set the fuel level in the float bowl of the carburettor. If the fuel level is too high or too low, the mixture will be affected. The procedure for checking and adjusting the float height will be in the workshop manual, as long as the correct setting.

So before you looking for new problems, fix the ones you know you have:
- Float height.
- Airbox and possibly carb rubber seating.

The revs are taking too long to settle down because it has an air leak on the airbox or carb rubbers. Possibly both. Get the carbs properly seated and tighten up the clamps.

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robby
You have been a great help, I've put her away for the winter so love got time now to sort it all.
Appreciated
Thanks
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1