Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gaming monitor advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Gaming monitor advice Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a new monitor. I had a 4k 60hz IPS screen before but I'm interested in possibly buying a 1440p monitor with a higher refresh rate. I mainly play racing games, ultrawide monitors made for 'sim racing' all seem to be 100hz, unless I'm missing a technical reason as to why they aren't higher?

Questions:

IPS or TN? Can't say I noticed a difference with my last (IPS) monitor, TN panels seem to have lower input lag?

Hz? 144hz seems to be really expensive, I've noticed a lot of 75hz panels but overclocking monitors seems to be hit and miss. My last monitor went up to 72hz (from 60), my old 1080p OC by a measly 6hz Smile

HDR? Are there enough games on PC to justify it?

ULMB etc.? It sounds interesting but seems to be only found on top-end monitors: https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

Budget: I'd love to spend £250ish, I'd probably go up to £300, or maybe £400 for an uber monitor. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:21 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Gaming monitor advice Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm in the market for a new monitor. I had a 4k 60hz IPS screen before but I'm interested in possibly buying a 1440p monitor with a higher refresh rate. I mainly play racing games, ultrawide monitors made for 'sim racing' all seem to be 100hz, unless I'm missing a technical reason as to why they aren't higher?

Questions:

IPS or TN? Can't say I noticed a difference with my last (IPS) monitor, TN panels seem to have lower input lag?

Hz? 144hz seems to be really expensive, I've noticed a lot of 75hz panels but overclocking monitors seems to be hit and miss. My last monitor went up to 72hz (from 60), my old 1080p OC by a measly 6hz Smile

HDR? Are there enough games on PC to justify it?

ULMB etc.? It sounds interesting but seems to be only found on top-end monitors: https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

Budget: I'd love to spend £250ish, I'd probably go up to £300, or maybe £400 for an uber monitor. Any thoughts/suggestions?

IPS = Better quality picture & colours disaply, more expensive & generally lower refresh rates - also higher response times.

TN = Cheaper & higher refresh rates also have a lower response time

HDR isn't really supported at the moment for PC.

I bought a Benq XL2411T around 6 years ago for £320, still works as good as it did when I bought it - a high refresh rate & low response time was what I bought it for.

Really depends on your rig as well, if it can't maintain 60 fps then there's no real point in having a 120Hz + monitor - interpolation isn't a good thing.

Something else to factor in is what display ports you have on your GPU & what GPU it actually is.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a GTX 1070. I did run some games at 1440p as at 4k you get drops below 60fps, you seem to get a 25-30fps gain at 1440p. That was the idea of getting a 100hz monitor, to get 144fps you'd have to turn too much down IMO.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 40" Sony tv as my monitor. It can only do 1080p at 60Hz, but I doubt I'd get much more than that, I rarely see modern games go over 70fps.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1