Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lovely London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

His conviction and sentence send out the message that the police will not tolerate the mind-set Gardner seems to have adopted - that the casual use of a knife is justified to settle even minor difference

What utter crap.

Kidnapped and forced to work for a gang - yeah right Rolling Eyes

and what happened to compulsory prison sentences for carrying knives.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and an unlimited fine. You’ll get a prison sentence if you’re convicted of carrying a knife more than once.

Oh but a suspended sentence is a prison sentence you stupid Ursus maritimus
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise up? Nobody except possibly his Defence said he was a 'victim of society'. What do I need to 'wise up' about?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reasons he got what many consider to be a light sentence is because at the time he was 17, he did not actually physically harm the other party; he'd also been on remand for 6 months. The sentence seems to be reasonable considering guidelines and similar cases. Don't blame the judge. Blame guidelines and governments.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mdf, if you recall I agreed with you, and said he should have been sent down.

In what way does this constitute 'Believing the judge's reasoning for letting him off'?

Sir, I think you are looking for an argument where none exists.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I disagreed with you about was the way you twisted it to infer that the Judge let him off because they both have darker skin than you, and that some form of box-ticking exercise was employed.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
It might be reasonable to you

I did not say that you stupid twat.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mdf we can all see what Riejufixing wrote. We can all see the context and that there was no full stop between 'reasonable' and 'considering'.

If you want your views to be treated with any seriousness, you mustn't misquote other people. You have let Riejufixing down, this forum down but worst of all you have let yourself down.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, having watched the video again, I was interested to see this person stop and look into the car before the attack, and before the car moved.

At the time, it was reported:

"In video captured on a dash cam, a man on a bike is seen riding up a busy high street when a parked car pulls out quickly, nearly colliding with him. The man jumps off his bike to avoid a collision, dropping it in the middle of the street, and runs after the blue Volkswagen which quickly comes to a halt" ("Independent" (sic) )

Which does seem to be quite wrong.

Now, it's reported that:

"On 30 May, a 19-year-old man was sitting in a car on London Road when Gardner pulled up alongside him on a bike, the Met Police said. The man tried to drive off and almost made contact with Gardner's bike which led to him to attack the car and smash the passenger window with the large knife." ("BBC").

The sentence has now been referred to the Attorney General's office, which will give a reply within 28 days.

I wouldn't mind seeing Judge Dhir's summing up and sentencing remarks when they're published.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
he did not actually physically harm the other party.

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/facepalm.gif

I guess had he got to the guy he'd have threatened him then been on his way. This is why London is so f**ked up, muggers carry knives, hold up countless people and then when they eventually stab someone the police take an interest. Knowing the police's attitude towards robberies, he (very) likely robbed countless kids before getting caught over that schoolboy.

Riejufixing wrote:
Well, having watched the video again, I was interested to see this person stop and look into the car before the attack, and before the car moved.

At the time, it was reported:

"In video captured on a dash cam, a man on a bike is seen riding up a busy high street when a parked car pulls out quickly, nearly colliding with him. The man jumps off his bike to avoid a collision, dropping it in the middle of the street, and runs after the blue Volkswagen which quickly comes to a halt" ("Independent" (sic) )

Which does seem to be quite wrong.

Now, it's reported that:

"On 30 May, a 19-year-old man was sitting in a car on London Road when Gardner pulled up alongside him on a bike, the Met Police said. The man tried to drive off and almost made contact with Gardner's bike which led to him to attack the car and smash the passenger window with the large knife." ("BBC").

The sentence has now been referred to the Attorney General's office, which will give a reply within 28 days.

I wouldn't mind seeing Judge Dhir's summing up and sentencing remarks when they're published.

I'm fairly certain 99.9% of people knew it was targeted. Despite there being some fairly militant cyclists, they don't normally carry zombie knives.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
he did not actually physically harm the other party.

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/facepalm.gif

I guess had he got to the guy he'd have threatened him then been on his way.

It was a comment on law around the case. Learn to read.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
I'd love to know what these mystical guidelines and similar cases are

If you could learn to use the internet, and read, you could find out for yourself.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
M.C wrote:

I guess had he got to the guy he'd have threatened him then been on his way.

It was a comment on law around the case. Learn to read.

As were my comments Rolling Eyes Are you deliberately trying to be an arse?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:
I'd love to know what these mystical guidelines and similar cases are

If you could learn to use the internet, and read, you could find out for yourself.

That won't happen. Lord knows I've tried to explain to him in small syllables.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/offensive-weapons-knives-bladed-and-pointed-articles

Start there soft lad.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/offensive-weapons-knives-bladed-and-pointed-articles

Start there soft lad.

If you read the sentencing guidelines in that article you posted, MPD is right in that he should have been given a prison sentence.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Bladed-Article-Definitive-guideline_WEB-1.pdf

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Start there soft lad.

If you read the sentencing guidelines in that article you posted, MPD is right in that he should have been given a prison sentence.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Bladed-Article-Definitive-guideline_WEB-1.pdf

*START* there Laughing. Guidelines are just that. Until you know exactly what was taken into account...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a fair bit of stuff last night until I was...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_DC71dNl4iU/hqdefault.jpg

...and I have to say everything pointed to a custodial sentence for dindu. It's somewhat baffling that we watched a human being trying to kill another human being and said human being is still walking the streets.

Britain Wub

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

*START* there Laughing. Guidelines are just that. Until you know exactly what was taken into account...

There's rather more to it; "This guideline should be read alongside the Overarching Principles – Sentencing Children and Young People", for instance, in the referenced document; also the nature of the charges, in this case: affray, possession of an offensive weapon, and attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent.

I think I'll wait until the court documents are available, which shouldn't be long.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33