Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Saw a crash today :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Saw a crash today :( Reply with quote

Coming down the A48 dual carriageway, which has T-junctions rather than slips for a lot of the junctions down here in sunny West Wales.

I was turning in, there was a big gap behind me in lane one. Chap on a Varadero 125 pulls out from the junction where he'd been waiting. I thought he was going to join lane 1, would have been a good time to do it, but instead he ambled across both lanes aiming for the central refuge that lets you take the next right turn. It was not a good time to do that, at least, not that slowly...

I think it was a Merc that hit him, I saw him flying through the air, first time I think my 17 year old daughter has ever heard me swear out loud and really mean it... Pull over on the link road and stop, run to biker (making sure I cross safely!! Enough thought not to add to the injured!) who is lying on the central reservation.

He was one lucky boy. The guy who had already stopped and was with him was an off-duty fireman; I was next and I've had bike-specific first aid training; then maybe a minute later an ambulance pulled up. And that wasn't all the luck - despite having been unconscious for a brief time and incoherent for a few minutes after that, he seems to have had basically no damage - took his own helmet off and had to be stopped from getting up. Some serious shock and very dazed though. Impact had literally taken his boots off. He managed to miss all the road furniture and the armco. I rang it in on 999 as the car driver didn't seem to be able to work his phone.

The driver was in shock, once the ambulance men took over the rider I went to see him. He asked if the rider was OK, said he didn't give a shit about his car - which was properly bashed in at the front - a big tear in the bonnet, airbags gone off, must have gone OVER the bike as the rear bumper had been pulled off too. Said he wasn't speeding, as he had just been overtaken by a police car and so was very aware of his speed, which was right as I'd just seen the police car too. To be fair, he didn't really have a chance, the rider just didn't open the throttle at all (I started on a 'dero.... they struggle over 50, but they get there pretty smartly).

Later I had an update and gave a statement from/to the traffic policeman who attended - rider taken to hospital and being given a full scan but no problems found so far.

Driver: hope you're ok, shaken but not stirred. Really not your fault and thumbs up for the "don't give a shit about my car".

Rider: hope you're OK too. If you're on here: I didn't want to tell at the time when you asked, but there's a bit more than scratches on the fairing, mate. In fact, your bike is properly fucked.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor obs.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

F

Thumbs Up

ಠ_ಠ

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:25 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you for stopping and getting involved. Thumbs Up

Even without first aid training, anyone can be helpful, even if it's just dialling 999 then standing up the road to slow traffic down.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for stopping and getting stuck in. You probably did a lot to help both even if you didn't realise it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:35 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a pigeon get hit by a car today. When I came back 15 minutes later it was properly pancaked into the road surface.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:
Have you got ptsd whatever it's called now?

Er...no.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I saw a pigeon get hit by a car today. When I came back 15 minutes later it was properly pancaked into the road surface.

That's a pity, the breast meat is lovely. Shoulda grabbed it while you had the chance ;

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:59 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

T Junctions on dual carriage ways which allow people to cross the path of vehicles (who going at 70 mph) are a mare.

The A249 down our way is a death trap.
people are always pulling onto the carriage way with far too little room to get up to speed before they get twatted.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
T Junctions on dual carriage ways which allow people to cross the path of vehicles (who going at 70 mph) are a mare.

people are always pulling onto the carriage way with far too little room to get up to speed before they get twatted.

You do have to question some of the road design in this country. Maybe if they re-designed dangerous junctions rather than just putting up a speed camera they'd save more lives Thinking

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:51 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

Your right Colin, this road was not too busy 30 years ago, but now it's a major commuter route, saying that my first day in the Detling area back in '86 I was the first one on the scene at a major crash at what is now Jades crossing.
The minor road junctions do not allow you to get up to speed before entering the flow of traffic.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are starting to block off the roads through the central reservations on dual carriageways in MK because of the amount of idiots that get T Boned at them.

You have to go up to the next roundabout and back now, no great shakes, just a bit annoying you have to do it because idiots like the biker above have no idea how to use them safely.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been quite a few accidents on the a48 between Pont Abraham services and St Clears. The cwmgwili and bancyfelin junctions being especially dangerous. Unfortunately, there's a lot of farm land that was cut in 2 by the 'new road' and access had to be made available to the farmers. Now, a lot more cars mean less time and more risk getting across.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:56 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

You do have to question some of the road design in this country. Maybe if they re-designed dangerous junctions rather than just putting up a speed camera they'd save more lives Thinking

Amen to that. Only last weekend yet another vehicle lost control on a bad corner local to me and twatted the railway bridge, knocking several 4ft sandstone blocks off onto the track. The same corner I stopped to help at a scooter fatal at a couple of years back.

I wonder how many people have to die or be seriously injured for them to either straighten the fucker out, install a chicane or build up the camber? A train derrailment? They can bleat about people going too fast all threy want, it's still THERE that people crash and die. 17 years old that kid was, if I was his parents, I'd be livid that nothing has been done.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:06 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you stopped and got involved. Glad no one is dead and just sometimes every now and then, and once in a blue moon it just might be sometimes the bikers fault and he gets away with it, learns, and lives to ride another day.

OGR.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
There's been quite a few accidents on the a48 between Pont Abraham services and St Clears. The cwmgwili and bancyfelin junctions being especially dangerous. Unfortunately, there's a lot of farm land that was cut in 2 by the 'new road' and access had to be made available to the farmers. Now, a lot more cars mean less time and more risk getting across.

I have to join it, from that junction, every morning. It's fine, if you just accept that you may have wait a minute or two for a proper gap. Unfortunately, some people are too impatient/poor obs/slow/old/etc/etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if all the non-slip ones end up being shut.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:59 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

That useless fucking u turn area, my god Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jim Mc
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:48 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the driver was very aware of his speed and presumably his surroundings having just been passed by the Police. What caused him to drive straight into a motorcyclist? Looking at his phone perhaps?

Google quotes stopping distance at 70mph as being 100 yards. Must have still been going a fair lick to send the guy flying.

A relative of mine was crashed into recently while stationary at a junction at the bottom of a slip road leaving the A1.

The driver of the vehicle who hit my relative claimed brake failure. Apparently the Police were able to obtain the vehicle data which showed that the driver had not commanded the brake pedal and successfully prosecuted the driver.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Mc wrote:
Apparently the Police were able to obtain the vehicle data which showed that the driver had not commanded the brake pedal and successfully prosecuted the driver.

Black box?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Jim Mc wrote:
Apparently the Police were able to obtain the vehicle data which showed that the driver had not commanded the brake pedal and successfully prosecuted the driver.

Black box?

probably the log of CAN-BUS events

there may not be a sensor on the brake pedal to check if the brake itself was applied, but there'll be the sensor to tell the brake lights to come on, if that input and output was not in the log, then it's a good guess that the brake was not pressed.

for the command to be missing then the sensor would have to have failed or become disconnected from the network.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Do all modern cars do that?^^^

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Mc wrote:
If the driver was very aware of his speed and presumably his surroundings having just been passed by the Police. What caused him to drive straight into a motorcyclist? Looking at his phone perhaps?

Google quotes stopping distance at 70mph as being 100 yards. Must have still been going a fair lick to send the guy flying.

The rider would have been mostly obscured by my car - I was slowing to turn. Then I was starting to turn as the rider pulled out... slowly. He went into lane 2 just as I cleared the main road, which is probably the first chance the driver had to see him.

So imagine you're in lane 2 about here
https://goo.gl/maps/FGgPVvw1nt32
There's my big black estate slowing and turning into the slip in lane 1, you're doing 70, and the biker starts to move now, but you can't see him yet. I reckon the driver did as much as he could be expected to.

The car and bike ended up about where the Juke is in this pic
https://goo.gl/maps/9K5n9PhiPqJ2
Don't forget to include reaction time in stopping distance.
I was only just clear of the island on the slip when I pulled in, would have been moving at about 25-30 mph myself.

I'm afraid it really was the biker's fault, even though I'm biased.

The battery in my dashcam is fubared, so when I stopped to help, I turned the car off and lost the last video file. It would have been impressive otherwise. (New battery arrived today...)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love how in the capital they stop you making left turns, yet out in the sticks you can pull across a NSL dual-carriageway anyway you please.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:
Have you got ptsd whatever it's called now?

[clint eastwood poster]

That's an epic meme. How many movies has said actor layed a 'nam vet with ptsd?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
How many movies has said actor layed a 'nam vet with ptsd?

Gosh. "What a mistakea to makea"! Embarassed Sick
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2