BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Saw a crash today :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:50 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, that's got to be the typo of the week.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I saw a pigeon get hit by a car today. When I came back 15 minutes later it was properly pancaked into the road surface.

I think a farmer threw a wood pigeon over his hedgerow at me as I was wending my way from Beverley to Filey one sunny Sunday afternoon.

I remember the amount of shite that was all over my jaikit and neck protector.

The flapper was mince by the time it hit the road.

Zero to 135MPH has that effect on feathered fcukers.
A packet of Johnson & Johnson wipes and Handy-Andies later I was spick & span again. 😎

Plus... always stop if you see an accident. It is amazing how many people haven't been trained in first aid.
Basic stuff like CPR or wound care can save lives.

The last RTA I seen where someone slipped away from his mortal coil was about four years ago.
Wet Tuesday, I was filling the car with diesel and heard a bike pass the petrol station. Moving a bit quick from the roundabout for the conditions I thought. I hoped he didn't drop his nice bike.
I paid for fuel, grabbed a Marathon and a can of Irn-Bru and continued my journey.
I got about 1 mile from the petrol station to meet a que of traffic.
Cars were parked on either side of the road and a 3 ton truck was stopped across the road.
The bike was under the truck.
As I'd earlier predicted.
I don't know how fast he was going when he hit the truck bit assumed he'd been overtaking a line of cars as the truck pulled out.
I think some prick had seen the truck waiting to get.out and decided to stop all the traffic and the truck out.
The truck turned right from its yard and had almost completed the truth when the poor fuckers on the bike was passing the cars.

The bike looked as if it only had minor damage and I couldn't see the rider.
I thought, well enough cnuts have stopped so no need for me to add to congestion and carried on.

I called the police when I got home to Beverley where I'd been driving to and asked how the biker was.
I was told that the accident resulted in the biker losing his life. I think DOA at hospital.

The cop said it's never a problem to stop and help if you see an accident as there's a great possibility no one who has stopped knows how to help.

Lessons:
Wet roads are useless for bikes.
Speed in traffic is useless.
Poor obs are useless. (never overtake near junctions)
Not stopping to offer help at an RTA is useless.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a first aider for many years and one common question that comes up in courses that have new first aiders is what happens if someone takes them to court for failing to carry out first aid correctly. The instructors always say nobody will every get in legal trouble as long as they tried their best. (Obviously if they do something that's obviously neglectful then there will be consequences). But the thing is that, even if they are a complete idiot or panic and forget everything, no judge in his right mind would find someone guilty if they *tried their best*. There are tabloid stories about people being taken to court, but those cases are always dismissed.
Book a first aid course tomorrow. It's not only strangers or people you are riding with on the road. What happens when your child burns himself? What happens when your mother has a stroke? Your wife/ husband starts choking and turning blue? Would you forgive yourself for not doing a quick 3-day course when you're helpless?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are subsidised Biker Down courses that are very rider oriented, i did one a few years ago. It's very much just the bare bones of saving lives at a road triffic incident, rather than 300 ways to bandage a poorly thumb as I would describe the long and detailed course I did back in 2000ish...

I recall having an RTA scene mangement "case study" set of questions on my motorcycle theory back in 2012, I remeber it asking some first aid questions. I remember being very peeved that when asked a question the was along the lines of "after handing over to emergency services, you continue your ride. it begins to rain, do you...." I could not choose to "find nearest cafe, probably mcdonalds and cry into a cup of coffee until the rain stops" or at least "go home, sort mental state out and post on BCF"...

++++++++++++++

I caught something that might have been a pigeon (there's about 2 frames of it on my camera) square on the headlights of the bandit. There were bits in my oil cooler, on my luggage and all up one side of my off-white Ventilator jacket. Rear camera just shows a brief spray. I cleaned my helmet and rode home. Forgot about it and stopped at a coop. Someone screamed. I recon they're still telling the tale of the day one of them satans angles types waltzed into the local corner shop after shivvin someone up

I hosed the bike down and fed my jacket to the washing machine. recently treated leather appeared to have shed most of the splatter and needed a baby wipe. Forgot to clean my luggage. It stank after a week.[/i]
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2