Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New shed - wood or metal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: New shed - wood or metal? Reply with quote

Recently had my 40 year old shed taken down and removed leaving me with a nice empty space and a sweet concrete base.

I'm buying a new 10X6 shed and during browsing on the net I've seen
a few Steel sheds.

I'm just wondering if a steel shed would be better than a wooden one,
I know maintaining a steel shed is a lot easier.

Any thoughts?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good quality wood shed

My neighbour had a metal shed/garage and it got condensation on the inside of it in winter, it was quite thin metal as well

Sir Clip
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your budget, but in your case (based on your previous posts) get the best timber framed one you can afford, sink anchor posts into the base, invest in some alarms.

Metal sheds are nice in the summer, but if you go in them when it's cold they will drip like fuck over you and everything in them.

Also, never use power tools inside a tin shed without ear protection!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:21 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not metal.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:28 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, I would agree with a wooden shed, however, if your budget can stretch that far, an Asgard motorbike garage would be a sound investment..

https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/motorcycle-storage/motorcycle-garage

https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1300x970/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/s/asgard_secure_steel_motorbike_storage_2.jpg

Meant to say, we have one of the smaller push bike metal pent shed, nice and secure, no bikes stolen from it.. We did used to have a wooden bike shed on the drive, but after twice having bikes stolen from it, we invested in the Asgard shed, never looked back.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:49 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a BIG wooden shed and a noisy, territorial dog. Works for me. Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal sheds are wank. I've built everything from those small Argos jobbys to massive corrugated Nissen-type arched buildings that you typically see at chemical plants. All of them were horrific for condensation. That condensation can be helped by putting heating inside the shed but costs and heat leakage..
Those thinner metal sheds (Argos type) really are poor. Seriously thin metal and self tapping Philips screws make for a poor construction.

Wood is good. If you have the funds make your own because shop bought ones are thin and although joints work they're weak. You can also preserve the timber as you make it which helps massively.
Wood doesn't need a mig welder and a tin opener to fix it should it need it.
If you get a wooden shed be sure to add preservative yearly or better 6 monthly.
Wooden sheds can easily be made secure. Don't just place a lock and hasp onto the doors - you can do allsorts to make them difficult to enter. One idea is to make randon strips of thinner sheet metal (a cut up Argos metal shed for example!) and screw them onto the inside surface of the shed - the doors, the walls, roof. If someone attempts to break in by removing planks then they'll all be screwed to each other internally via those thin metal strips!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't vouch for the Asgard motorbike garage, but, the push bike shed, doesn't suffer from condensation, but then again, I'm not putting a still warm motorbike in there. I'm not against wooden sheds by any stretch, but, I'm also saying, don't rule out an Asgard garage.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit to not knowing the Asgard shed but from experience other metal erections have had some nasty consequences. Not so much the wet inner surface of the buildings and not so much the internal 'rain' dripping from the roofs. It's more about how the moisture destroys electrical gear. Power tools and hand tools would age rapidly if stored inside and I expect bikes would be similar.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shed is ventilated along both sides, a 3" gap where the roof overlaps the walls. My main gripe with that is dust,
as the prevailing wind hits the shed square on the side. Next year it's being moved to face the other way in a big
garden redesign which should help a lot. It certainly isn't damp in there. I've had two bags of cement in there for 18
months and I used one of those a few days ago on my slabbing job. Hadn't clumped together at all.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat off topic but do people leave helmets and jackets in shed with their bike? (as in pic^)
I know I wouldn't. Not for security so much as mildew, anything you wear gets slightly damp and won't soon dry in a shed except for about two weeks in July maybe.

Wood will age more gracefully than metal and look better, which is important for most of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Somewhat off topic but do people leave helmets and jackets in shed with their bike? (as in pic^)
I know I wouldn't. Not for security so much as mildew, anything you wear gets slightly damp and won't soon dry in a shed except for about two weeks in July maybe.

Wood will age more gracefully than metal and look better, which is important for most of us.

I keep my kit in the garage unless it's wringing wet, in which case it'll hang in the dining room with the dehumidifier going overnight. I do hang my leathers with a bit of space between them, and treat them with nikwax once a year or so. I've not had any mildew problems with them (concrete block garage, ventilated)
If the bikes wet, I use a couple of those microfiber drying towels to wipe it down as best I can, and if I'm feeling diligent I'll fire up the little generator and use the vacuum on blower mode to dry the harder to reach bits for five minutes or so.
If I had mains electric I'd have a dehumidifier in there for sure. If I was building a shed in the garden I'd insulate the fck out of it and seal it up with Tyvek or another breathable membrane and run a dehumidifier in there. No dust, no damp, and a warm place to work on the bike and get changed into my leathers.

Yes, moving out of an overcrowded city is on my to do list.

Also - does your concrete slab have a dpc?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

salt

https://theculturetrip.com/south-america/bolivia/articles/welcome-to-the-hotel-thats-made-entirely-from-salt/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:49 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about building one from breeze block? Little diy project.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

salt and breeze block for a nice sea breeze
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cyberglass
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid metal at all cost.... i have one and it rains more in the fucking thing during winter than outside.
all tools rusted toolboxes full of water and anything electrical damp or wet. can be improved by replacing the roof with a wooden one to stop the rain inside when you knock anything.

i wish i had gone the extra and bought wooden lol

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:03 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulphur wrote:
What about building one from breeze block? Little diy project.

just what i was going to suggest.
nice little project...

oouche
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

second hand concrete garage most are modular and can be made smaller often free or cheap
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

oouche wrote:
second hand concrete garage most are modular and can be made smaller often free or cheap

As I am currently realising, finding one nearby is difficult. Transport is difficult, which is why they're generally "cheap or free". I had my eye on one 10 miles from me, but the chap now says he's not getting rid of it for a while, and "I'd hate you to be crushed taking it apart, some sections weigh 300Kg". The last bit is inaccurate, more like 75Kg or so, but I think the gist is that "I don't want to get rid of it", which is a huge disappointment.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:13 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google shows you'll get a brand new, precast concrete 10x6 shed delivered and installed for £1800.

Buy once.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concrete garages are great but do they not fall under planning permission rules? I know wooden things are classed as temporary structures - anyone know?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:36 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
Concrete garages are great but do they not fall under planning permission rules? I know wooden things are classed as temporary structures - anyone know?

It's the size, not the material. If it was ok to have a wooden shed, it's ok to have a concrete one the same size.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Fourte wrote:

It's the size, not the material. If it was ok to have a wooden shed, it's ok to have a concrete one the same size.

It's size of shed, size of garden, height of shed, closeness to border unless "substantially incombustible material".

From memory, shed must not take more than half the original not-built-on ground, previous extensions and existing buildings count towards that figure, 2.4m maximum roof height, 2m to border minimum if what it's mainly built of can burn.

It's worth looking it up before building one!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW my 8x12 shed was £600 quid delivered and assembled. I'm on year 5 with it now, still good and strong although
it had a coat of fencelife stuff at the 2 year mark, mainly because the factory finish was a bit crap.

On planning, my next door neighbour has a wooden outhouse with a jacuzzi thing in it. It's shown as a permanent
building on the land registry, so presumably they had to get planning. I might have had a letter about it not long after
we moved here, but I don't mind about stuff like that too much. My wifes studio had to be approved by planning due to
proximity to the boundary line rather than anything else what with it being brick built. That's about 4.5m square and
about 4m tall. It sits a metre from two different boundary lines in the corner of my back garden but is pretty much garage sized. .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2