World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks a lot for all the replies, I'm sticking with wood. Cool

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. planning permission, read this:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

If you still can't work it out, pm me and I'll help. I do this shit for a living...

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:37 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking down a 12x8 wooden shed the cladding is knackered on three sides but the framework is sound.

The framework is all 3" woodwork if your anywhere near Sunny Scunny and can collect by at the latest This Saturday you can have it.
If your interested I'll get some pictures for you. If not I'll be attacking it with a chainsaw tomorrow.

I'm replacing it with a 24x8 wooden shed insulated I looked at concrete sectional and steel sheds and wooden seems the best option.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread hijack incoming, well it's a related issue.

I have a nice wooden shed/workshop.
Since buying it, we've always thought the felt on the roof was a bit crap.
Well the inevitable has happened, the wind managed to get under it and rip a small section off.

I've ordered everything necessary to put on a, box profile, metal roof.
I'm quite happy fitting it, however what I'd like to know is, should I leave the roof felt on and fit the new metal roofing over it, or should I take the, existing, felt off and fit the metal roofing direct to the T&G roof?

I've no idea why, but I think I should remove the felt.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's very little difference in price, but I'm not sure it would be suitable for a T&G roof, surely there would be a voids at each T&G join?

Don't fancy applying nearly 20 square metres of adhesive tbh.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:26 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving the old ripped felt on will end in a predictable way.

Not fitting new felt and timber or a membrane and timber under the roof will end equally badly.

You can either do it properly now or you can have lots of hassle doing it properly when it goes wrong again in the near future. Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all fine and dandy but I've already got the new metal roof cladding!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
I've ordered everything necessary to put on a, box profile, metal roof.
I'm quite happy fitting it, however what I'd like to know is, should I leave the roof felt on and fit the new metal roofing over it, or should I take the, existing, felt off and fit the metal roofing direct to the T&G roof?

I've no idea why, but I think I should remove the felt.

This is interesting. My too-small workshop, a concrete garage, has a tin roof on, over 11mm flakeboard. I hope it will be OK for a long time, HOWEVER, my house roof has a slate roof over sarking felt. Now, the latter never used to be done. A good roof does not need sarking felt, but I think it's there to prevent condensation on the underside of the slates dripping, and as a "backup" in case a slate comes off. On the workshop roof, would it have harmed anything had I felted the flakeboard before nailing on the corrugated iron? I rather doubt it, and it might actually help.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately I don't have an OSB roof I have 18mm, treated, T&G.

I'm going to remove the felt and fit the metal roof directly on the T&G, for two reasons.
One, I think the seams in the felt will not allow the metal to sit flat enough.
Two, I'll be sealing all the corrugations top and bottom and sealing all the joints between panels, so the whole thing will be as air and watertight as I can get it.
There's enough airflow inside to keep any damp at bay.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic, and yeah I'd choose a wood shed over metal for many reasons, security ease of modifications, and easier to insulate too. Though just for a bike shelter type shed a plastic or if your feeling flush a fibreglass shed might be better.

Regards re-roofing, well I'll have to do that on mine too within a couple of years. I've got 10/12mm thick plywood as a roof with felt over, which had a couple of leaks on some seams last winter, making my restored 125 look very second hand in just one winter. Sad

The wood has warped slightly, and my fix was a second strip of felt over all the seams and two coats of 10year roof sealant. If I think the wood is sound still in a year or so, I'll just cover the felt in a layer of DPM and then get a sheet of that self install rubber roof sheet to cover the DPM.

In an ideal world, I'd start again with a second layer of roof joists on top of the existing ones to extend the height in the shed, and then I'd staple a layer of overlapping foil bubblewrap insulation over the joists before a new thick 18mm roof, coated in wood preserver and DPM and felt on top. If I did this I'd pay to have professional torched on hot felt instead of just fitting rolls of cold felt. A rubber roof is another option and probably a better one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2