Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Carrying a laptop

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Carrying a laptop Reply with quote

Morning all,

So I need to carry my laptop on my bike now (very occasionally) . . I've got a 20 litre Kriega bag which is fine for my other stuff (locks, clothes etc.), but because it attaches by compression straps I don't think it'd get on well with a laptop! I don't have any other luggage on the bike, nor do I particularly want to splash out on something that's going to be used very infrequently.

The laptop has a SSD and is relatively light and compact (14/15" screen); I have a cheapo laptop rucksack which in terms of actually carrying it will work fine (a black bin sack can be used for waterproofing if absolutely necessary!). My biggest concern is will it be a safety risk, i.e., if I came off, is it likely to cause injury to myself?

Cheers

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwak ER-5

vanderbale
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:25 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on how padded the backpack is and how you fall. Might be better to chuck the bag into a topbox.

I've seen some rucksacks with the inner a section of thin stretchy material holding the laptop and a lack of padding at the back/straps surely won't hold up in an accident let alone one off a bike.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:45 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ogio rucksack that I wear on the bike sometimes. I've never been concerned about the laptop injuring me as much as I am about every other object in the bag (keys, pens, phones).

However, I do use my top box for my commute nowadays, so I suppose that's safer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

More damaging than carrying nothing
Less damaging than carrying a huge chain

Its down to your own levels of risk tbh. If you are really worried, you would buy a topbox, and to be honest - it's the best solution.

I use a topbox now but prior to that I used a criega 25L.
Prior to that I used a backpack.

I'm more worried about being rear ended / run over than back bruising from the laptop. I'd carry it in the backpack again if I had to without even thinking about it. 👍

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've carried a laptop in Kriega bags a lot. Used plenty of padding, clothing etc, on both sides. I tightened down the bag's own straps a bit, but also used separate straps which I fed through the loops on the 'bottom' of the bag where they don't compress the contents, and around the grab rails on my bike. Maybe you can find something on your bike to attach to in this way?

That was with a 30l bag, and another 20l attached on top, full with all the gear I needed for touring. 4 extra straps total. I put the laptop in the top bag, attached the straps through the loops on the bottom of that one. The two bags were connected together with the clips provided for that purpose.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that what is in effect a big flat slab of plastic would be one of the less dangerous things to have about you in an accident.
I'd recommend concentrating on not falling off rather than worrying about your luggages' homicidal tendencies.

I sometimes carry a Lenovo P71, which weighs about the same as a small paving slab without any issues.

raak
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:19 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

well..i suppose you could buy a laptop briefcase type of thing..they are better padded then most rucksacks.
Could roll it in bubble wrap packaging, i guess..(cheap n cheerful)

may even find with either choice, it then fits INTO the rucksack, for easy of carrying once off bike.

I've carried all types of officey shite on the bike.

Most cargo netted to rear seat (do have topbox) but that just felt better for a Laptop.

Personally wouldn't ride with a rucksack, carry anything.

And IF you come off, while wearing it Crying or Very sad , i think the laptop is the least of your worries.

Only the gods will decide if you choose the cargo net route, if its protected enough, while still attached to bike as it slides.rolls up road.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:08 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same issue, other than getting a really pricey Kirega R30 with the back protector fitted, another solution was to just use the box the mac book came in using my US 20 bag. The box prevented any damage when cinching the bag down tight

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry my laptop in my backpack daily, (cheap backpack from tesco's), and never really thought about it.... but then I don't think about coming off the bike either

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:00 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crashed with my backpack on with a laptop in, I survived as did the laptop.

They make Macbook pros pretty strong it worked a bit like a back protector. Very Happy

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies folks.

I think the backpack is the option for now. A topbox would be nice but the bike is supposed to be an economy device, so keeping on adding to it makes it defeat that purpose!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've thought you could bungee it to the er5's rear seat / tail piece if you really didn't want to carry it. My lap top is a right fucker - it's a seven year old hp pavilion with a huge screen and weighs a fair bit. I'd ideally be looking for some way to lash a ruck sack to the bike, behind my arse somewhere. I reckon I could do that pretty easily.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 18:15 - 28 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick my laptop in it's carrier, put it in my Halfar messenger bag and bungee it to the seat (or carry it on my back). Been doing it for 10 years or more.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashed with a 10" asus Eee loose in a backpack. Laptop fine, scratched some dvds and broke a phone. These days, my thinkpad lives in a cheap laptop bag in a givi box.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry laptops now and again, the courier company do inform clients that sending a laptop on a bike is at their own risk.

When I do get a laptop it's normally in a proper laptop bag and I carry it in my topbox making sure it doesn't bounce around the box.

If I don't have room in the top box, plan B, the artwork bag.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh i wouldnt worry about it. i dont get the whole bike rucksack deal either, iv ridden hours at a time with just normal rucksacks and never had any issues. all marketing bullshit to get you to spend more cash

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have no qualms about using a rucksack, but, a top box is better, as well, just more comforatble.. Needn't spend a fortune on a topbox either, although, I guess the rpice goes up if you need o factor in a rack as well..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MOTORCYCLE-EXTRA-LARGE-TOP-BOX-52L-UNIVERSAL-FITTING-LUGGAGE-BOX/251825386497?hash=item3aa1f67401:g:UVQAAOSwj0RbEWhZ:rk:2:pf:0

I've got a couple of these, or their clones, perfectly good enough to carry a laptop, and, when you get to your destination, replace the laptop with your helmet & gloves etc

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crumpler backpack has a very well padded sectioned off laptop carrying area inside it. it's always been watertight too

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:49 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My work laptop is my back protector. If it were to get so wet that it breaks, work will give me another one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1