Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Making a sports bike more comfy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:05 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Making a sports bike more comfy Reply with quote

Hi All

Still planning on buying an upright bike when I need to for the ULEZ but has anyone experience with modifying a sports bike with straight bars, bar risers, lower rearsets etc to make it more comfy, I guess half "street-fighter"-ing the bike? Bike in question is a CBR600 f4i, wondering if its worth throwing a few hundred at it to make it more comfy in the interim (until 2020 when the ULEZ goes out to south and north circular)

cheers

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'd just replace the bike now, rather than wait two years. For one thing, it'll be worth less in two years time than it is now, with the extra mileage and wear-and-tear you'll put on it in that time. And if comfort is a consideration now, take it from me, it won't be less of a consideration for you in the future Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Think I'd just replace the bike now, rather than wait two years.

^ This.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the machine.

They are not designed from the ground up to be comfortable as they are not meant to be used for muck longer than a hour. (Unless modificated for long races.)

The tank range of a bike is always a good indicator of it's comfort. Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't 'making a sports bike comfortable' an oxymoron? Cool

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Is it? Confused I think it comes down to riding position, I've always found upright more comfortable, so big singles with a crap range Smile Even with more upright touring or naked bikes I've still found them less comfortable than a supermoto/scrambler type thing.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Think I'd just replace the bike now, rather than wait two years. For one thing, it'll be worth less in two years time than it is now

The other side to that same coin is, when the ULEZ kicks in, the value of your bike drops like a stone, while compliant bikes hold firm, if not go up a bit.

Plan ahead and buy now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
MCN wrote:

Is it? Confused I think it comes down to riding position, I've always found upright more comfortable, so big singles with a crap range Smile Even with more upright touring or naked bikes I've still found them less comfortable than a supermoto/scrambler type thing.

Try an hour on my CCM. The designer was a sadistic bastard who loved giving pain to arses.

As others have said - new bike now.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
M.C wrote:

Try an hour on my CCM. The designer was a sadistic bastard who loved giving pain to arses.

As others have said - new bike now.

I was going to mention I've always had bikes with comfy seats Smile Although I can't say I've ever ridden on an uncomfortable seat, the stock street triple seat's meant to be awful but mine came with the gel one so I dunno.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Isn't 'making a sports bike comfortable' an oxymoron? Cool

depends on the bike and the extent of comfortable one desires .. Bar risers on a ZZR14 or HeliBars Risers on an YZFR1 .. fine .. you are hard pushed to notice ... but flat bars / top yokes imo is a bit far.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have this:

https://i.postimg.cc/k5rVXTks/Modded-R1-zpsfa503336.jpg

but only cos I can't comfortably reach clip-on bars.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:46 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

am i correct in thinking that with bar risers you are only getting an inch or so if that height difference?

I think the general consensus to change bikes is probably the best bet with the ULEZ looming, just need to get a go on the tracer900 and versys to see which one I get on with better, I am even considering the NC750 (manual version) but that might be taking a step too far back!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
am i correct in thinking that with bar risers you are only getting an inch or so if that height difference?

I think the general consensus to change bikes is probably the best bet with the ULEZ looming, just need to get a go on the tracer900 and versys to see which one I get on with better, I am even considering the NC750 (manual version) but that might be taking a step too far back!

If considering an NC then consider the crossrunner. It's a very under rated bike if you don't mind the looks.

I reckon you'll like the tracer best. Has its flaws but very entertaining.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
am i correct in thinking that with bar risers you are only getting an inch or so if that height difference

yeah .. and an inch or so pulled back .. not a panacea... moreover a help in the right direction..

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:24 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Saw a bike on the way home and thought hmmm that looks nice and comfy wonder what that is. Fazer FZ1, think that might be the new winner over the tracer 900, both seem quite similar in looks and seating position but guess fz1 just has more power which may be pointless on my london commute

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
Saw a bike on the way home and thought hmmm that looks nice and comfy wonder what that is. Fazer FZ1, think that might be the new winner over the tracer 900, both seem quite similar in looks and seating position but guess fz1 just has more power which may be pointless on my london commute

The fz1 might have more top end power but it is quite peaky. The tracer has a decent amount of low down torque and gobs of mid range so I'd wager it feels faster under normal circumstances. The fz is a cracking bike though.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
If considering an NC then consider the crossrunner. It's a very under rated bike if you don't mind the looks.

This.

I don't like the looks myself, but it's decent to ride, keeps up with most thing unless someone really has the throttle pinned. Lad in work has one, will not ride my 750 for more than a minute because of the riding position, but loves his crossrunner. We're both decently tall at 6'3" ish. Also - a V4 with a decent can is easily one of the best sounds on 2 wheels.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But would that be referring to a 180degree or a 360degree crank V4?

For OP unless your looking to make your F4i just a touch less cramped with higher clip ons or bar risers, and some aftermarket adjustable footrests, maybe a different screen etc then I'd leave it alone. Flat bars on a sportsbike is so gay and retarded and you won't sell a sports bike in that configuration even before its less desirable in two years due to ULEZ.

A new bike is a better solution. You'd ruin fuel consumption making a sports bike upright, and it doesn't sound like your daily rider needs sports bike hard suspension, and ultra quick steering etc.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:04 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are shereen and I claim my camberly fencing r1 bar risers

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:12 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
But would that be referring to a 180degree or a 360degree crank V4?

Given the bike in my sig is a 180 degree V4, that would be the logical inference.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a cruiser.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/gb.png

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ... still not mastered posting images the right way after 14 years.
So sue me.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:23 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing not my fault I am too big for my bike Embarassed Crying or Very sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1