BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thirstiest car/bike you have owned.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel so bad reading some of these figures. My current car is the worst for fuel economy out of any vehicles I've owned.

Old 2005 Honda Accord Tourer with 2.4 petrol engine.

Worst around 18mpg
Best about 36mpg
Average about 26mpg

Not particularly quick, but can pick up her skirts when asked. Mileage may reflect the fact that it weighs about the same as a semi detached house.

Seems positively frugal in this company. Thumbs Up

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
Hey Kitt I have a challenge for you.

Go to the back of your car and take a photo of under the rear bumper where the rear wheels fix to the linkages and body work.
You wouldn't dare.

Having seen the photos of the OP's previous bikes I doubt if he'd have any problem taking the pics, not that we could tell what it was because the whole lot will be buried in caked on road dirt.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car: RAV4, 25-30mpg not really worth it was pretty slow and ugly as sin.
Bike: My current 990 when ridden properly can drop to low 20's quite happily. People reckon they can do 45mpg on the motorway but that's probably sitting at 60, mines normally 40ish.

My mate has a daft Audi A8 W12 thing, amusing to watch it average 7mpg as soon as you touch the throttle Laughing Sounds like an old fighter plane when it starts up which I like a lot Shifty Drooling

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work off an average of 7mpg with the rally car (1300 cc130 ish bhp) in stage and around 14 mpg on the road. Normal car wise my Scooby used to just manage 30 mpg and the Octavia vrs was surprisingly good at up to 45mpg
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

38mpg from both the Saab 9-3 diesel and Renault Clio 1.2.

The saab is capable of mid 40s mpg if motorway driving, but I use it mostly for town driving.

There's no DPF fitted from the factory (I got lucky) and the EGR has been removed.

I always wanted a high powered 90s Jap car, but at this stage they appear to be money pits that I don't have a place to look after properly. Think I'd rather just have a faster bike.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:54 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:

I always wanted a high powered 90s Jap car, but at this stage they appear to be money pits that I don't have a place to look after properly. .

they are appreciating slowly but money pits they definitely are

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:

Go to the back of your car and take a photo of under the rear bumper where the rear wheels fix to the linkages and body work.
You wouldn't dare.

The silence is deafening!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Fourte wrote:

You wouldn't dare.

The silence is deafening!

Why? do they rot?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Why? do they rot?

Is it not more a case of finding a British built Ford that doesn't?

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually get a better return MPG wise in the works transit than I do in my little Suzuki. Embarassed

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Why? do they rot?

Do you see many 20+ year old Fords out there on the roads? Thinking I remember a time (growing up in Dagenham) where
every other car I saw was an Orion 1.6i Ghia. I wanted one soooooo very much around the early 90's as an alternative
to all the XR3 and XR3i's going around at the time. I wanted the "luxury" of the Ghia badge and most of the performance
of the XR3i so it seemed a good compromise. I also (still) like cars to have a proper boot.

In 1995 there were nearly 100k of these left on the roads. Now there's less than 400.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/ford_orion_ghia_i

Ford has always been a budget brand, cheap motors built to a relatively cheap price. They have zero intention
of any of their cars lasting more than about 15 years. Automotive junk food. Only Ford worth buying is a Transit. It doesn't
try to be something it's not. It's just a cheap and cheerful load lugger which is the reason for its immense success for Ford.
That said, even they are fit for not very much after a decade of proper van work, but they usually earn back their original
outlay which is key for any commercial vehicle.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:37 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Car: RAV4, 25-30mpg not really worth it was pretty slow and ugly as sin.

Which version?

We had an R reg 2 litre auto, and that was around 12mpg on a good day. Really fun to drive (like a mental go kart), and when everyone else was stuck in the snow, we got through it with ease, but it cost an absolute bomb in petrol. So much so that we got a new(er) car on finance, and what we were saving in petrol alone covered the finance payments.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:26 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current SV 650 does 35 ish mpg
Previous 200tdi land rover 90 would do 20-25mpg.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys99 wrote:
Current SV 650 does 35 ish mpg
Previous 200tdi land rover 90 would do 20-25mpg.

What's wrong with the SV for it to return such a low figure?

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:46 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Norris spec Evo was a greedy bastard.

https://image.ibb.co/g01mF7/E2565667-7803-4637-84-FD-91-DC55-D434-C9.jpg

Last edited by Wull on 23:50 - 28 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car - Westfield with a 2L pinto engine, stage 3 head and cam, 45 webers did about 15 mpg if you caned it (which you do, its not a cruiser).
Bike - TZ 250 G V twin. Don't know the actual MPG but would use 30-40L of avgas at a 2 day meeting plus 1L + of Castrol A747.
In contrast I have a Mercedes C250 which averages over 50mpg over its life.

OGR.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wull wrote:

I wonder how much of that was down to the power sapping 4wd layout? I don't know what spec your Norris Lancer was, but big turbos don't make any boost round town and I heard that alot of the WRC replicas used Lean fueling low down to help earlier turbo spool up?

I'm quite sick of the current thinking that you can't have a really fast hatchback or saloon without boost, young people think it's the holy grail. The thinking many have is build a sensible compression engine like a safe and throw in 2bar to make power.

I don't like this approach, and think turbo or supercharging should be the icing on the cake to a very well developed and tuned NASP engine. If forced induction is adding more than 50% extra power to an engine, then it's doing it wrong IMO.

Nothing worse than a crap basic engine design like a Renault 5 with a ton of unreliable boost pressure forced into it. I know thats a bit simplistic but huge boost or go home is a load of bollocks to me.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:17 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Why? do they rot?

Is it not more a case of finding a British built Ford that doesn't?

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily.

fwiw my '04 focus w/ 130k on it has yet to be welded. There's no rust on the shell either. I don't know if it was actually built in Britain though. It might've been nailed together in Spain iirc. Also, never done anything to it mechanically apart from consumables. Oh, did have a new CAT at one point, and speed sensors are a weak point (cheap to replace though). Great car if transport's your goal.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Wull wrote:

I'm quite sick of the current thinking that you can't have a really fast hatchback or saloon without boost, young people think it's the holy grail. The thinking many have is build a sensible compression engine like a safe and throw in 2bar to make power.

Didn't Honda pretty much prove that you couldn't with the development of the latest generation Type R, they spent far too long developing the NASP version to be able to keep up with the current crop of Turbo'd hot hatches and failed, and ended up going down the Turbo route

Also, turbos these days aren't about adding power per say, they are about increasing fuel economy

As unreliable as my Scirocco TSI was, it was pretty damn fast and very economical for a 2.0 Turbo car with 200+ BHP, would return 35mpg on my daily commute, and on a run could easily see 45+

My current Civic Type S (1.8 NASP) at around 140 bhp returns about 32mpg on the same commute, and about 40 on a run

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could nanny my S3 into the 40 something MPGs if I had a mind to on a long run. But that was no fun at all. Didn't buy it to save money.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/y9Oe1oL.jpg

1968 Ford Thunderbird with 429ci motor and slush box.

6-7 mpg was normal, rarely got into double figures unless you grannied it on a run. Best was probably about 12-15.
Just looked it up - it says it has a 25 gallon fuel tank!! Thats about 100 litres?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
Shaft wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/y9Oe1oL.jpg

1968 Ford Thunderbird with 429ci motor and slush box.

6-7 mpg was normal, rarely got into double figures unless you grannied it on a run. Best was probably about 12-15.
Just looked it up - it says it has a 25 gallon fuel tank!! Thats about 100 litres?

Just under 94 litres, as those specs are most likely to be using the smaller US gallon at 3.75l/g,

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Ford has always been a budget brand, cheap motors built to a relatively cheap price. They have zero intention
of any of their cars lasting more than about 15 years. Automotive junk food. Only Ford worth buying is a Transit.

Wait a minute...

KITT wrote:
a pedigree high performance beast like mine.

Are we saying Fords aren't pedigree high performance beasts?:p

linuxyeti wrote:
KITT wrote:
Previous MOT's all checked out not perfect but good enough.
Also a basic ford focus doesn't come with;

Full heated leather recaros which are extremly comfy btw.
Electric heated wing mirrors.
Global closure.
Keyless.
Xenon headlights with automatic headlight washers.
Parking sensors.
5 pot engine.
Etc.

Hardly 'ricer add-ons' and hardly basic.

Really nothing outstanding in that list, probably get just as much almost standard on a Dacia Sandero Laughing Laughing

Actually, my C Max people mover comes with most of that, and more, and it's hardly anything to shout about...

But in the spirit of the thread, either my 4.4l 740i or my R33 Skyline would be the thirstiest. Best they ever got was sub 30mpg, but could both quite easily get into single figures

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Why? do they rot?

Do you see many 20+ year old Fords out there on the roads? Thinking I remember a time (growing up in Dagenham) where
every other car I saw was an Orion 1.6i Ghia. I wanted one soooooo very much around the early 90's as an alternative
to all the XR3 and XR3i's going around at the time. I wanted the "luxury" of the Ghia badge and most of the performance
of the XR3i so it seemed a good compromise. I also (still) like cars to have a proper boot.

In 1995 there were nearly 100k of these left on the roads. Now there's less than 400.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/ford_orion_ghia_i

of any of their cars lasting more than about 15 years. Automotive junk food. Only Ford worth buying is a Transit. It doesn't
try to be something it's not. It's just a cheap and cheerful load lugger which is the reason for its immense success for Ford.
That said, even they are fit for not very much after a decade of proper van work, but they usually earn back their original
outlay which is key for any commercial vehicle.

I think the new Transits are meant to be a bit shit, I believe they're made in Turkey now (didn't the EU help fund that actually)? As a kid it was all Vauxhalls and Fords, now everyone seems to have BMWs, VW/Audis etc.. Maybe people wanted a better quality motor, or maybe financing allows them to buy cars they couldn't otherwise afford Thinking

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it would count.... but I did get about 68 miles from a full tank on the ninja (16.5 litres, I siphoned off about a litre for the dirt bike) before it coughed, spluttered and died.... not sure what the reserve is, so not sure what the mpg worked out at... but I'm guessing single figures.

Not sure it would count because around 7 litres ended mixed in with the oil.

Old mondeo currently get around 25.9mpg to and from work (home: 2.8 miles, 13 sets of lights, average speed 12mph*)

* I remember years ago hearing that if you stick to the speed limit all the lights will be green..... I've tried from 15mph up to 70 30mph (officer) and still manage to catch all the slowest junctions on red Evil or Very Mad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5