PostPosted: 10:00 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Golf R estate
Seat Leon Cupra (estate)

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:00 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

Scoob - bit chavvy but if you buy a decent one it will last forever and can shift for sure

Or skip the chavvy, and buy a Legacy, the Impreza's grown-up brother... not that I am biased Wink

its the same EJ engine in most Scoobs, will run forever and take quite a bit of abuse. Yup a Fozzy or a Leggy also has the extra boot room for bales of hay and such, and also witht he rally pedigree you can tow a horsebox easily through the fields :p

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you really want is a Golf R
What you can probably afford is a Civic Type R

/Thread.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

300C SRT Touring?

https://parkers-images.bauersecure.com/gallery-image/pagefiles/204079/static-exterior/1752x1168/095825100_1213105257.jpg

Ok you have to deal with the yank-factor, but well specced cars and nice V8 noises too.

They do smaller more economical engines too, but where's the fun in that?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trawling ebay/autotrader for some of the above suggestions. Most within the amount I really want to spend (sub 10k) are 70/80000 miles with a few low and high mileage exceptions.

I was brought up with a 100,000 is when a petrol car dies but obviously that has moved on.

So have people got a cut off point? Is there a point where the price will tumble faster than a Soho lady of the night? Is a big engine better for high mileages?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I've been trawling ebay/autotrader for some of the above suggestions. Most within the amount I really want to spend (sub 10k) are 70/80000 miles with a few low and high mileage exceptions.

I was brought up with a 100,000 is when a petrol car dies but obviously that has moved on.

So have people got a cut off point? Is there a point where the price will tumble faster than a Soho lady of the night? Is a big engine better for high mileages?

Given that engines are made almost identically these days their quality is almost identical too.
When an engine is driven from new it's down to the owner how long the engine lasts. If you buy a car that's dropped to full revs as soon as it's started 'to heat it faster on frosty mornings' when it's sub-zero temperatures (I know a dickhead who seized a works Transit doing just that) is going to shorten its life. Regular maintenance is essential.
If buying a used car then you really don't know its history. The answer to 100k miles and over is yes and no!

If you're considering a car you'll need to look at the list of known faults, common problems and factor in rust too - some Jags are renowned for sills rotting for example.
If you have someone who works at a half decent garage (non-dealership) try asking them questions about particular makes and models. It's surprising what crops up.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
If you're considering a car you'll need to look at the list of known faults, common problems and factor in rust too - some Jags are renowned for sills rotting for example.

Honest John do pretty good "no-nonsense" reviews, warts an' all, and generally list the common faults/issues to look out for

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/

For example

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/jaguar/s-type-x200/buying/

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:44 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Scooby Forester STI.

I believe what I say will apply most hot scoobies.

It is quick, I would say it is bike fast, mine is Probably about 280bhp but with a conservative map it should be up to 320bhp. I do not know top speed as mine has the JDM 190kph limit, but up it this way it gets to it in no time in 5th gear. I can easily see this hitting 160mph+

It handles and stops great especially for its size. The Brembo Brakes and excellent AWD system really help it will just grip no matter the condition. I had the time of my life thrashing it through dark wet and muddy Norfolk back roads, it should live there.

Generally they are fairly hardy but you must look after them regular servicing is key. Don't expect to leave the bonnet shut for months on end. You need to check the oil and water and make sure right. Everyone I have spoke to that knows scoobies says the reason they have a fragile reputation is because they can use a little oil and water here and there and if they aren't topped up the engine will lunch itself.

I made several mistakes buying mine, I got hard as soon as I saw it, and it was raining so I didn't get down and have a look as well as I should have. In the end I probably spend £2.5k (Brembo Discs and pads all round, PAS Pump, Cambelt, Full Service, shifter bushings, replacement interior trim, alignment, battery) putting it totally right. I thought I had a bargain but in the end it worked out as I have great condition one for about average. However at least I now know everything has been done.

MPG is 25 for me that is half sensible half being a prat, by all accounts that'll be closer to 30 after the remap. However it has to run on Premium pretty expensive. My car is secondary, I do all my miles on the bike, so I don't mind spending a bit extra.

Imports are better than UK models IMO, they will be cleaner underneath have more toys and be cheaper to tax.

https://i.imgur.com/mRHjIQk.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
300C SRT Touring?

https://parkers-images.bauersecure.com/gallery-image/pagefiles/204079/static-exterior/1752x1168/095825100_1213105257.jpg

Ok you have to deal with the yank-factor, but well specced cars and nice V8 noises too.

I'm not just copying top gear here (honest), the interior build quality is horrendous. I'd rather have a Nissan Micra, whilst feeling just as cheap they'll be better engineered Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I wouldn't say that's untrue now. A lot of warranties (even if it's just the engine and transmission) are up to 100k. You might have an engine that can happily go a lot further, but everything else is going to be getting very tired.

I think the days of over-engineered cars going to 200-300k are gone personally.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:33 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest improvement is that cars from the last 15 years say don't really rust. At least not in the same way they used to.

My 06 fiesta looked fairly immaculate underneath, had that been an 86 or a 96 it would be a pile of orange dust by now.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I made several mistakes buying mine, I got hard as soon as I saw it

That's exactly the same problem I had with my Legacy GT. Luckily, my better half also got herself damp at the same time, so I received permission to go £2k over my absolute top budget and I bought the first one I'd ever seen, after doing zero research Wink

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Sadly I wouldn't get away with pick up. I need rear seats for the grandkids.

I quite fancy one as well.

Doublecab pick up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:
M.C wrote:
I think the days of over-engineered cars going to 200-300k are gone personally.

Personally I think you have no idea what you're talking about.

You've had your high mileage dog 5 minutes, lets see how much trouble-free motoring you get out of it.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:15 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Sadly I wouldn't get away with pick up. I need rear seats for the grandkids.

I quite fancy one as well.

Doublecab pick up?

https://i.imgur.com/vHjfOEu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BE5x9Me.jpg

And you can run it on veggy oil.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:
M.C wrote:
You've had your high mileage dog 5 minutes, lets see how much trouble-free motoring you get out of it.

I'm not getting into this again with a jealous little wretch. It's getting tedious. Rolling Eyes

Be jealous.

Why would I be jealous? I have the same chassis as you, I know its shit Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a wild card, but how about this beast?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811182543438

I would love something like this, they are absolute animals.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I've got a Scooby Forester STI

Sounds like you want more though? And that the re-map despite it being an import that needs premium fuel is a dead certainty at some point?

Your like me in that you don't rely on a car for serious daily A-B use, and want a tinkered with vehicle, but reading this thread and the mpg thread is a bit boring with the testosterone and all the my dick is bigger than yours from all these blokes giving it the big'un. Eg Focus ST is shit but the RS is ok, and the Skoda VRS isn't much cop but an Audi RS6 is the nuts?

What if someone else on BCF owned a pointless for the road Focus RS but there was an RS++ Cosworth black edition or something with 100bhp more. Would that make the std RS shit because it's no longer the mostest version?

A warm hatch with a killer chassis that could use more power is in every way on today's roads a better daily option than a mega hatchback, and these people that drive these 400bhp cars in a point and squirt way are not always exactly skilled in making good progress. I bet every Audi RS6 driver goes way over the speed limit on every tiny bit of clear straight, and is all over the brakes before every bend like a right knob.

A 100bhp car that can be hussled and sticks to the apex at speed might not be the safest way to drive on UK roads, but it's alot more fun than being a throttle/brake jockey in a High powered saloon, hatch or SUV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:
M.C wrote:

I'm not getting into this again with a jealous little wretch. It's getting tedious. Rolling Eyes

Be jealous.

It's envious, you retarded bastard.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
chris-red wrote:
I've got a Scooby Forester STI

Sounds like you want more though? And that the re-map despite it being an import that needs premium fuel is a dead certainty at some point?

Your like me in that you don't rely on a car for serious daily A-B use, and want a tinkered with vehicle, but reading this thread and the mpg thread is a bit boring with the testosterone and all the my dick is bigger than yours from all these blokes giving it the big'un. Eg Focus ST is shit but the RS is ok, and the Skoda VRS isn't much cop but an Audi RS6 is the nuts?

What if someone else on BCF owned a pointless for the road Focus RS but there was an RS++ Cosworth black edition or something with 100bhp more. Would that make the std RS shit because it's no longer the mostest version?

A warm hatch with a killer chassis that could use more power is in every way on today's roads a better daily option than a mega hatchback, and these people that drive these 400bhp cars in a point and squirt way are not always exactly skilled in making good progress. I bet every Audi RS6 driver goes way over the speed limit on every tiny bit of clear straight, and is all over the brakes before every bend like a right knob.

A 100bhp car that can be hussled and sticks to the apex at speed might not be the safest way to drive on UK roads, but it's alot more fun than being a throttle/brake jockey in a High powered saloon, hatch or SUV.

Hot hatches are actually safer cars to drive than poverty specs models. Firmer suspension, better handling, bigger brakes, better acceleration that makes overtaking safer, wider and more grippy tyres, more air bags, traction control, more advanced braking systems and so on.

Not every hot hatch owner drives like a dick.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they don't, maybe it's just most of them in these new PCP leased cars then? Your argument doesn't work if the driver of the better handling and safer grippier hot hatch version drives much closer to the limit of grip and goes alot faster down every straight past traffic, schools and houses than the 1.2 poverty spec models drivers do.

Saying a bigger faster car with bigger brakes is safer is like saying a BMW S1000RR is a safer daily commuter than an ER6 for example.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5