A practical performance car.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Sadly I wouldn't get away with pick up. I need rear seats for the grandkids.

I quite fancy one as well.

So buy a crew cab one. Or even lease one and reclaim against tax.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Sadly I wouldn't get away with pick up. I need rear seats for the grandkids.

I quite fancy one as well.

So buy a crew cab one. Or even lease one and reclaim against tax.

https://i.imgur.com/6Hpb6dR.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than start a new thread.....

Looking at a JAGUAR XF 2.2 D PORTFOLIO SPORTBRAKE 5d AUTO

Cost £15395.00 from a big second hand car firm.

https://www.saxonbridge.com/used-jaguar-xf-milton-keynes-buckinghamshire-1643295

Now this is literally 5 minutes from me and I can go have a test drive.

So comments on the car please? A bit over priced (for a dealer)?

and what should I offer bearing in mind it is cash I'd be paying. I never know how low to bid without looking stupid.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about the same as I'm looking to spend on our next car. I'm after space first, comfort/toys second and performance
a distant third. What I won't buy is another diesel. The car in your link is already 3 years too old to drive in Bath without
paying a (proposed) daily emissions charge of just under a tenner (to begin with). Their charging thresholds without
getting into all the Euro III IV & V and so on for that seems to be about 2015 with diesel vehicles and 2006 for
petrol engined cars. My van is a 2012 and that will mean I have to pay if I use it to go into Bath. I know that's possibly
not an issue where you live but they will be bringing this shite in everywhere sooner or later so it's worth considering.
Diesel pollutants are the big terrible enemy at the mo. I wouldn't put a massive RFL hike on derv vehicles past them either
given the way they like to target the motorist for revenue and knee jerk new rules in the way they do. I'd expect the cost
of diesel to rise sharply soon also to further discourage it's usage. My next van when I'm done with the Transit will be petrol too.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll be lucky if you can get a dealer to shift much on price, especially with cash. They make more money on the finance deals as they get either get a kick back from the finance company or the bigger dealers do their own finance so they make on the interest.

we'll that's been my experience with the last 2 cars I've bought, one wouldn't shift at all on anything to do with part ex or the price of the car but reduced an extended warranty by 2/3, the second haggled a bit on the part ex price for my car. both were cash.

Last edited by duhawkz on 10:58 - 27 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re finance, can't it be beneficial to haggle down the price, then pay it off in one lump, providing no huge early repayment penalties etc?

Or does haggling down on the presumption that you're gong to take finance, then pay cash anyway, actually work?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's probably never going to work out cheaper to arrange finance then pay it off straight away, due to all fees.

I asked if there was a early repayment he said there wasn't but you would still have to pay the interest, i think the interest was 4.6%

If it was 0% I might have been tempted to do that then stick the cash in a savings account or something.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a horrible feeling that would be the consensus. Cash is not king anymore.

I'll try it on though, maybe they would rather shift something between Christmas and new year rather than sit on their fannys getting fuck all in.

Another local company have this

https://www.wvsgroup.com/used-jaguar-xf-bletchley,-milton-keynes-buckinghamshire-1719597

Newer, V6 but done 80thou miles.

Maybe play one off against the other.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you do the mileage to warrant getting a diesel?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Do you do the mileage to warrant getting a diesel?

No I don't but it's more availability in something I like. Diesel was still king 5 years ago so most of the nice cars withing that price seem to be diesel.

I'm not spending more than about £15000 and I really want a luxury type car. The nearest car to luxury I've owned before was a Land Rover Freelander which to be honest was a bit pants.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to risk being labelled an eco bastard and ending up with a worthless paperweight that cost you 15 grand?

True story, My mate bought a Sprinter with a luton body with his redundancy money some years ago, he was a
plastererpreviously. Living just inside the M25 he set about earning his money delivering kitchens with it. He had a baby
to feed and a mortgage to pay, his van literally was his bread and butter. Then the LEZ rules came in. Lost his job because
he had to sell his van. Sold his van to some indian chap from up north for literally a couple of hundred quid.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short journeys wont do the dpf any good and they are usually ££££ to replace.

Also diesels have gone from been the king to the enemy of everything.

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/should-i-buy-a-diesel-car-everything-you-need-to-know/n1189

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Do you want to risk being labelled an eco bastard and ending up with a worthless paperweight that cost you 15 grand?

Don't care about being called any sort of bastard. If it pisses off the tree huggers Thumbs Up

However the DPF is more of a worry. Crying or Very sad

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The father in law bought a diesel a couple of years ago with looking into things and only used it for triping into town and back (~3 miles maybe) with in a couple of months there were warning lights on the dashboard

I tried the usual things like a good blast down the motorway but it was fooked, luckily the dealer he got it off fixed under warranty but it would have been ~£1000.

My mate was quoted ~£1300 for his replacing, they are generally considered a service item. Also my mate commuted in his on the motorway.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
However the DPF is more of a worry. Crying or Very sad

The one on my Sprinter needed replacing. 3k Shocked Had it gutted and remapped instead, £500 Thumbs Up Then they
changed the MOT regs Crying or Very sad , so part exchanged it against my current van. Neutral "Particulate filter overloaded" Warning
light comes on about once a fortnight. Functional but still a ballache. Rolling Eyes I just ignore it and it goes out eventually.

Last edited by grr666 on 17:22 - 27 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Maybe it's having asthma, but modern diesels actually take my breath away when they drive past, a lot more than older diesels do.

Hmm it's normally stinky old cabbies or buses that trigger a coughing fit for me. I thought with emissions regs new(er) diesels were a lot better, when they aren't fudging the tests obviously Smile
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats a bit more then a just a remap

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a about this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810201669514?sort=sponsored&make=JAGUAR&model=XF&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=mk125rs&fuel-type=Petrol&radius=1501&page=1

or some supercharged 500hp yummy goodness

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811122344440?sort=sponsored&make=JAGUAR&model=XF&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=mk125rs&fuel-type=Petrol&radius=1501&page=1

both petrol

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the first one. Thumbs Up Flasher than a rat with a gold tooth. Cool

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

or get yer sen' a bently

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803144559322?sort=sponsored&make=BENTLEY&price-from=10000&price-to=16000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=mk125rs&fuel-type=Petrol&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&page=1

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first as well!

Question - Why does it cost so much to change a DPF?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:56 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

First in part, because sooner or later you will have to replace them, they are a filter after all. While they can
be cleaned this will only elongate the service life, if it's done properly this process can be pretty expensive too. Still a fraction
of the cost of buying a new one though. Also I believe there are precious metals used in their construction, I suppose
because the one on my Sprinter was such a physically large unit, it cost more to produce? Maybe it was just because
it was a Merc part although I found it their commercial service parts were very well priced on the whole.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As grr666 says its down to their construction, but also its illegal to drive round without one, and they're inspected as part of the MOT to make sure they haven't been tampered with. So they've got a captive market which won't help things either.

If you're intent on getting a diesel you could look at older cars, DPF's are mandatory on all vehicles after 2009, but some manufacturers started fitting them around 2007. With bit of research you might be able something tidy around 06/07 sans DPF.

But you'll still get sodomised with the ulez charges and higher taxes on diesels. In a couple of years you won't be able to give diesels away
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5