Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Question about Oxford heated grips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Question about Oxford heated grips Reply with quote

I found out today that my next motorcycle has heated grips, I'm told they will not drain the battery because of some "intelligence" thingie.

Is this true? or just a wild claim? The grips are Oxford grips but I don't know what model they are or even how old they are.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine switches itself off when it detects that the current has dropped below a set point (but I usually turn them off manually)

I guess that's what it's on about.

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could mean it's temperature controlled, but more likely sounds as though it's just wired to turn off when the ignition is off. That's the recommended way to do it, since the biggest cause of flat batteries is leaving them on overnight.

Naturally I figured I was above such a silly mistake and neglected to do this when I fitted mine. I have since become very grateful for the kickstart.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the battery voltage drops below a certain point they turn themselves off.

From what I gather on the later ones they can turn themselves off when the engine is idling as the voltage drops below the cut off point.

Early ones were not as good.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonjb wrote:
They could mean it's temperature controlled, but more likely sounds as though it's just wired to turn off when the ignition is off.

As I was inspecting the bike I checked under the seat and the grips are direct to the battery.

Polarbear wrote:

From what I gather on the later ones they can turn themselves off when the engine is idling as the voltage drops below the cut off point.

Right, I get the picture, the bike is a 13 plate but I have no idea when the grips were fitted.

Any more input would be helpful, I'm not loving the idea of grips wired to the battery.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand when the voltage drops below the amount that it will be when the engine is on and putting charge back in to the battery, they turn off or go into eco mode.

I've got some waiting to fit and yet to try them.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
simonjb wrote:
They could mean it's temperature controlled, but more likely sounds as though it's just wired to turn off when the ignition is off.

As I was inspecting the bike I checked under the seat and the grips are direct to the battery.

Polarbear wrote:

Right, I get the picture, the bike is a 13 plate but I have no idea when the grips were fitted.

Any more input would be helpful, I'm not loving the idea of grips wired to the battery.

Just fit a relay then. The low voltage cut out will still work and you can't forget to turn them off anyway with a ignition operated relay. Belt and braces or overkill depending on your outlook. Laughing

CBF600SA
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:01 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Question about Oxford heated grips Reply with quote

My wife has these grips on her Hornet still starts even if left for months so it must be quite a small power drain. If you use the bike a lot I would not worry about it if not fit a relay as said above. ]

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:05 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have those grips. They work by switching off if they don't detect alternator"noise", it works. Left mine on a few times with no ill effects

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't wire them directly to the battery.

Never had an issue with the grips not turning themselves off but would be worried about a short. It's will be pretty easy to chuck a simple inline fuse in a direct connection to the battery, which is the minimum I'd do.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated grips are very nice to have. I installed mine just last week and haven't had cold hands since then.

I wired mine to the battery. I'm not intending to forget to switch them off (they have a light that's on when they are on so that should help) but when I inevitably do forget them I guess I'll be testing the "intelligent" cut off. As others have said - you could rewire them if you're not sure. There is plenty of wire so you'll be able to connect it wherever you need to.

The downside for me is that the grips are thicker than my old ones. My hands are ladies medium so not tiny but I still feel like I'm grasping a baseball bat compared to my old grips. I guess I'll get used to them.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:41 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another perk of using a relay is according to the manual the grips remember their last setting, otherwise you have to set it on every startup.

I fitted some about a month ago (to the battery) and I've noticed yesterday my headlight (Inazuma 250) was pulsating I might have a dying battery or maybe it's the grips :S

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
Another perk of using a relay is according to the manual the grips remember their last setting, otherwise you have to set it on every startup.

I fitted some about a month ago (to the battery) and I've noticed yesterday my headlight (Inazuma 250) was pulsating I might have a dying battery or maybe it's the grips :S

If you fit a relay they will 'forget' their last setting because all power is lost when the real is off.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the replies, I'm not getting the bike till next year so this isn't an immediate problem, I'm just thinking ahead.

The relay idea is a good one, I shall ponder on that. Cool

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't wire them directly to the battery.

Never had an issue with the grips not turning themselves off but would be worried about a short. It's will be pretty easy to chuck a simple inline fuse in a direct connection to the battery, which is the minimum I'd do.

The Oxford grips already come with an inline fuse fitted.

The latest spec EL692UK has an improved fuse housing which is more protected from the elements, and the auto switch off works a treat.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:24 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
evilzed wrote:

If you fit a relay they will 'forget' their last setting because all power is lost when the real is off.

"Thanks to their unique design and fool-proof wiring loom, HotGrips are extremely easy to fit. Connection to the motorcycle could not be simpler: connect the 2 ring connectors to the battery. No need to wire the positive to a live ignition feed*
*unless the heat memory setting is required."

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:44 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted my heated grips the other week but went with a relay as I was not sure if they were the new type or old. It was only a couple took minutes to fit and gives me piece of mind.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cut off was far too low on my oxford ones, 11.8v or so, which means flat battery. Fit properly with a relay and buy a better, cheaper one without a gimmicky feature that does not work.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
The cut off was far too low on my oxford ones, 11.8v or so, which means flat battery. Fit properly with a relay and buy a better, cheaper one without a gimmicky feature that does not work.

What model / year were they?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:53 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power them through a relay connected to the tail light is most common way/simplest Ignition-live source.

Edit: Most importantly, good insulated gloves keep the heat from the grips escaping to the atmosphere. 😎

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-HotGrips-Sport-V8-Motorcycle-Heated-Handlebar-Grips-Pair-Set-Hot-OF-692/132395945703?_trkparms=5926%3AKEYWORD%7C5079%3A0

In the black friday deals on ebay. In case anyone was thinking about buying some soon.

Oh and these are cheap as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Quartz-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Brake-Security-Disc-Lock-Yellow-OF54/132427396369?_trkparms=5926%3AKEYWORD%7C5079%3A0

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are better.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Handlebars-Motorcycle-Electric-Heated-Molded-22m-12-V-High-Quality/132852327725

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are different, I'll give you that, but why better? I have these on my bike personally. Much cleaner finish IMO.
https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server4400/de554/products/1721/images/6543/Yamaha_Heated_Grips4__91209.1442940406.1000.1000.jpg?c=2

But I still the ones I linked were at a great saving compared to rrp particularly if someone was about to buy
some of the Oxford branded grips. Someones buying them, they sell loads!! I see them on a lot of peoples bikes and
on a lot of second hand bikes at dealers. And they have a reputation for honouring their warranty.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones you link look different at the expense (and expensive! Whats the advantage for 10x more cash!) that the outer grip is not replaceable. Id also say the wiring position may conflict with the clutch lever perch. It is designed as a single button press and look at the led's to see what its doing. No good under muffs. Heated grips should require zero visual feedback. From a usabilty point of view the ones I link are an excellent design, and I prefer the look.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TUkAAOSwr~lYpXaK/s-l400.jpg

I prefer the grips being pre-glued to the splined throttle tube, which most grips do not have. I am not quite sure why they include it, but once it is fitted, any maintence of the bars becomes easier. Also ideal if you had crash damage to bars and tube. Wont suit modern bikes that use a sensor instead of cable, but the tube can be removed and glued on as normal. Sell the tube on ebay and you have free grips...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I paid someone else to fit them for me too. Can't be bothered with such a dull task. But I'm deliriously happy for you
that you can accomplish the same result spending just £10. Bravo to you sir. Thumbs Up Whatever makes you happy. My grips will be hidden
under a set of muffs about the same time hell freezes over. About as likely as seeing my bike on a road at all between
November and March. I just like warm hands and summer gloves. #summer rider and proud
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2