Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A total kunth of a driver nearly made me dead this morning.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:53 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: A total kunth of a driver nearly made me dead this morning. Reply with quote

I was heading back home from the pool and quick shop this morning, on the A47, and was stuck behind a van and BMW doing about 45 to 50...
So yeah I was going to overtake as soon as I could find a gap in the traffic.

One appears and it's perfect, I have my line and there's just enough space to over take before I hit the red do not overtake markers (offset junction)

So I drop the gear and rev up go in the other lane and speeding in.......... Until a meter behind the BMW, the cunt suddenly pulls out in front me, I had to break hard after being in overtake speed. Or I was going to go right into the back of that car.

Then the driver did their overtake really slowly.... By the time I got halfway past the van, I had to break again to pull back behind the van as I ran out of space on the road as a car had just come in from that junction.....

Not only did they nearly go into me, they also made me nearly hit incoming traffic...

I don't condone violence but this time I would have loved to have punched him right in the nose with my knuckle protected gloves on.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:01 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you were speeding and overtook at a bad place?

Solid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:07 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
So you were speeding and overtook at a bad place?

Solid.

Wasnt speeding, over taking, i meant I was at over taking speed.... And the place was fine... Nice clear road plenty of room for me to do the over take. The BMW pulling out right in front of me while i was in the other lane was the problem

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:12 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... No offense but reading between the lines, sounds like you made a bad decision, and then compounded it by trying to commit to the overtake once the BMW pulled out too...

You'll learn eventually, but it would be a lot quicker and you'll improve a LOT more if you look at your own riding more than other peoples riding/driving. You can't control them, but you can control what you do and the decisions you make.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the mention of BMW would give me sixth sense need to watch their car body language, BMW drivers like Audis are above such trivial matters as looking in their mirrors, if they give a signal it will be after they are lane changing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:32 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor obs with a slack chain.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:52 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I indicated, I had pulled back about 3 seconds to get a good view of the oncoming lane... Indicated went into the lane sped up doing the overtake... And just as I was about a meter in line to the BMW then suddenly pulled out without indicating... They did start indicating after they had already pulled out though.

Up until that last point the BMW was tailgating the van... And other than tailgating, made no indication of overtaking. Not even leaning to the right of the road. They only did it after I already started overtaking.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
ailgating the van... And other than tailgating, made no indication of overtaking.
Tut Tut That's what they do when impatient to pass, they aren't actually any good at overtaking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:09 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there room to overtake the bmw as it was overtaking the van?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:16 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:

Yeah plenty. It's when the BMW pulled out in front of me, it was really slow at over taking, then I no longer had the space to complete it...

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All caused by the OP's inability to spell 'brake'.

And poor obs.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I meant position yourself far right and make a third lane

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the most common causes of accidents I read about these days are like this.

Bike (or powerful car) behind 2 or more vehicles, goes for the big overtake, then so does one of the ones in front.

From insurance purposes I'm not sure who's fault it would be. If you're doing the big overtake I guess you should expect one of the vehicles in front to be considering it too.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:35 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
All caused by the OP's inability to spell 'brake'

Break, Brake, Something broke... I think its my will to live!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:05 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one jelly-mould make and another, in a ruddy car-park! They all look roughly the same to me! "Oh! Dat wun got fick tyres and no boot! Must be a jeep... people moovers dont have fick tyres, do day?"... hmmmm....
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Mitsubishi_Delica_Star_Wagon_303.JPG
Well there's always an exception to prove the rule, int dhere? Laughing
SO! If I had time to see what badge was on the back... I would PROBABLY not be going quick enough to bother over-taking.....
And if I actually spotted the Blind-Moron-Waiting propeller... I'd PROBABLY take the hint, to hang back and wait until I could pass it REALLY obviously, approaching at +2mph sitting on its cornner, reving the engine, waving in the off-side mirror, that sort of thing, you know, to make SURE I had their attension....in fact, a written letter of intent would be nice...

End of the day, It's May..... the motoring majority of the UK haven't seen a bike on the road for five months, and they never paid them all that much heed when they were thicker on the ground... what did you expect?

Dont treat them like they have the first friging clue; dont chance stupid over takes, or ride like you have any kind of either orad presence, let alone priority....

AFAICT, pretty normal situation, to be expected, the car driver wasn't out to kill you, they were just doing what car drivers do.... you should have expected as much, and either got your act together and passed them before they had a chance to cause you hazard, like when tailgating they couldn't see the road ahead they wanted to drive into.... or you should have bided your time; let them do whatever they were going to do; then make your move when you had the time, room and sight lines to do so.

Ie; it aint a perfect world, and whther you like it or not... there's more cars about than bikes, and car-drivers don't look for bikes, as a rule, and dont expect thier little bubble of egocentricity burst... so chalk it up to experience; do it different next time, and DONT start wibbling about every less than excellent numpty you encounter on the road, or you'll be in the Nut-house before you can chant no-win-no-fee, three times!!! Chit happens; deal with it; it aint gonna change, just for us!

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
With more experience, you'd have probably expected the car to also try an overtake. You need to learn this skill of second guessing other vehicles.
Them tailgating the van would have said it to me.

This is basically it. Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Re: A total kunth of a driver nearly made me dead this morni Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Not only did they nearly go into me, they also made me nearly hit incoming traffic...

And that particular error is not even anything to do with your friend in the Beemer

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:01 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a faster bike or overtake where he cant.

Smile

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:06 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Smile

Speed wasnt the issue...

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

Smile

Speed wasnt the issue...

It was if you had to "break" hard Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, multi vehicle overtake is 2 parts. Mirror check blah blah Pull out and take a good look and then accelerate past. It gives you just enough room to see if muppetry is afoot and means you are not committed to something you might not want to be.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:

If its safer to slow down and pull in, I'd do that. Overtaking the vehicle who's overtaking sounds like a recipe for things to end badly potentially, but would do it if no option.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2