BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Winter Gloves

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:25 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spada blizzard's are also not bad for £35. Decently warm, waterproof usually breaks down after a hour or two of constant rain like most. Not huge in terms of protection though. Found these warmer than the enforcers and a better winter glove really.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
The spada blizzard's are also not bad for £35. Decently warm, waterproof usually breaks down after a hour or two of constant rain like most. Not huge in terms of protection though. Found these warmer than the enforcers and a better winter glove really.

£35 won't buy you much winter glove.

That's slightly over £1/day.

And when they get wet and your handy-pops get cold the standard of riding drops off the scale.

Cold hands are the most prominent thing on ones mind in cold weather. Massive distraction potential.

I'd rather pay twice that for some sort of reliable glove.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:02 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Tdibs wrote:

£35 won't buy you much winter glove.

That's slightly over £1/day.

And when they get wet and your handy-pops get cold the standard of riding drops off the scale.

Cold hands are the most prominent thing on ones mind in cold weather. Massive distraction potential.

I'd rather pay twice that for some sort of reliable glove.

Spada enforcers are about that and were also given best buy by bike magazine.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Spada enforcers are about that and were also given best buy by bike magazine.

Well I will throw caution to the wind and as an experiment I will buy a pair and road test them.

If they work like £35 gloves I will rain hell down upon this forum. (or something.)

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

If they work like £35 gloves I will rain hell down upon this forum. (or something.)

Sweat more like.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:28 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out on Friday and got so cold I had to stop off and get a pair of winter gloves. Got a pair of Rich Cold Protect gloves for just under 100 notes. They're not bad construction-wise, although I did find them really comfortable and not too thick like other gloves are. I'll need to take them out on a long run to find out what they're really like but so far, they don't seem bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:52 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using them for about 2 years and they're a little overhyped IMO, fingers and hands still get cold but I don't think any glove can stop that once you hit 5C or less without some form of heating. The velcro barely sticks despite being clean, they will probably fly off in a crash (Actually saw a crash vid on youtube where this did happen with these gloves).

BTW you should buy one of those visor wiper finger attachments as it doesn't come with one.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the worst thing about winter gloves is the bunching up of material and the thicker palm. I've got Weise Montana and I find I ride with the edge of my right hand open, gripping with my thumb and forefinger mostly to try to keep the material a bit more stretched. The gloves feel the right size, it's just there is so much thickness there. These aren't even the thickest gloves! I don't know how the rest of you cope with thick gloves. Weise Montana - not really recommended. (Ok-ish for warmth. Ok-ish for rain.)

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
BTW you should buy one of those visor wiper finger attachments as it doesn't come with one.

If you mean Enforcers, then unless I've been tripping balls on the way home tonight - they do. At least the WP version does, which is kind of essential in a Winter glove. Velcro is still decent as well. I am fine under 5c, but I'll be the first to admit that I "run hot". Tonight (4c) was about the upper limit I'll wear them in.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that as a reply to the Richa. My pair are excessivly ventilated at the fingertips, while also being constricting, which means they feel very cold any day below 15c. Muffs are essentail outside of a heat wave, and a leather race glove is warmer, but it works down to 5c. However they are reasonably comfortable so I am currently wearing.

Tomorrow looks colder, so will be trying the enforcers, muffs removed - there is no way they can fit, and sounds like they need the extra air.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:50 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was referring to Richa gloves yeah. The enforcers do have a visor wiper on the left thumb which is fairly decent, Vee wipe is definitely the best IME

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:57 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just couldn't get on with the Vee Wipe. I think mine lasted about a day before it was dumped in the bin. Way too clumsy for me.

Nik Wax visor waterproofing was much better IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weise summer waterproof gloves, five make similar ones......these work with heated grips. Carry some thin leather ones for back up in top box. Have a* goretex ones I've only used in the direst of days. Grip and feel beat dry fingers every time. I'll sit in mcds for 40 mins drying my gloves before not having control coz I can't grip comfortably. Mrs K has Merlin outlast and loves them.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X223SXm_qh

I got a pair of Brand new with tags Bering Crezus gloves earlier in the year for £12 Laughing Sneaky snipe bid.

https://www.lisacandy.com/images/2645/1268823-bering-crezus-waterproof-gloves.jpg

Seem good quality and decent spec. Yet to test them. Still unworn. Not really sure why I bought winter gloves, but
what can I say. I'm a gear tart and they almost have a Thundercats logo on them. Shifty (Although its probably a polar bear.)

I haven't worn owt but my Weise Daytona short cuff summer gloves this year. Spackers been in bed since September,
might see daylight again come March or thereabouts.

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:29 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Richa Reply with quote

They seem to do several types of winter gloves ,but all similar
I was just about to order the Carbon Winter type ,they have reasonable reviews

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
For me the worst thing about winter gloves is the bunching up of material

Look for x-trafit or similar bonding of liners to outers. It does eventually fail, but my IXS goretex/xtrafit gloves lasted 4 yeas of being my main glove. Yeah they weren't winter thick, but my old thicker Hein Gericke gloves were winter-thick and xtrafit, but I didn't get to find out how long they lasted as they met tarmac.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spada Enforcers - First ride at 3-4c today in the south. They did not keep fingertips warm. Had to continiously shake arms to prevent numbness. The design is with so much bulk on the wrist that the fastening is ineffective and there is the feel that the glove will come off easily, disapoint. 30 miles at speed about 100. Last few miles at <40 warmed up quite a bit. Might be acceptable at lower speeds, but that would not be safe. I did not expect my hands to be sweaty when removed, but they were slightly. Heated grips were unnoticable, the insulation is so thick they could not be felt. The extra freedom is very nice but they are extremely bulky. About what I expected. Ride home was about 7c and raining. Worked very well.
Id be suprised if any non heated glove, without muff could keep fingertips warm for the -10 snowing conditions that I could be riding in.

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:14 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Richa carbon Reply with quote

I ordered the Richa carbon winter gloves today ,see how they are and I will report back

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Johanna wrote:
For me the worst thing about winter gloves is the bunching up of material

Look for x-trafit or similar bonding of liners to outers. It does eventually fail, but my IXS goretex/xtrafit gloves lasted 4 yeas of being my main glove. Yeah they weren't winter thick, but my old thicker Hein Gericke gloves were winter-thick and xtrafit, but I didn't get to find out how long they lasted as they met tarmac.

Quote:
The new X-TRAFIT™ product technology uses a special tape positioned in strategic places, i.e. on the fingers and thumb, to bond these layers together

Grip tape is nothing special. It does not stop the inner pulling out. Grip tape != bonding.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:20 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Heated grips were unnoticable, the insulation is so thick they could not be felt.

Get some non poverty heated grips.

You're supposed to put your jacket sleeves over the wrists of the glove. It stops water running down into the glove.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:37 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Spada Enforcers for Spring & Autumn, unlined racing gloves in Summer and Gerbing heated gloves in proper winter weather.

Works for me. Thumbs Up

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Arrived. Fingers are a bit long, tight/uncomfortable at base of index finger, but other than that appear excellent..

So they don't fit but they're excellent?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
kramdra wrote:
Arrived. Fingers are a bit long, tight/uncomfortable at base of index finger, but other than that appear excellent..

So they don't fit but they're excellent?

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Once broken in, they're probably the most comfortable pair of gloves I own, bar the strictly toasty summer day only A* GP Pro's.

Now that I have actually ridden in them, they are very, very comfortable and fit perfectly. The bulk is offset by the freedom of no muffs.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You're supposed to put your jacket sleeves over the wrists of the glove. It stops water running down into the glove.

Yet to see a leather jacket where the sleeves will go over the wrists of a glove, and have never had water run down into the glove, but I have had water run up the sleeve of textile jackets, and one of the reasons I will not wear one.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Yet to see a leather jacket where the sleeves will go over the wrists of a glove, and have never had water run down into the glove, but I have had water run up the sleeve of textile jackets, and one of the reasons I will not wear one.

Goretex performance shell jackets have an inner and outer cuff to stop this so we can guess you've only worn low quality jackets.

Its not nnormally water running up the cuffs its just failed waterproofing on the cuff due to flexing of the material.

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:12 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerbing Heated Gloves, G12's i think, £114.00 from ebay, wish i'd invested in a pair years ago.

Ok, its a bit of a pain plugging them in, but its well worth it in the long run.

In the normal heating mode they dont feel warm really, but the thing is, your hands dont feel cold. Dont bother p*issing about trying different makes of non heated gloves if you dont want your hands to feel cold, just go and buy a pair of 12volt, plug in, ones and never look back.

They are probably the best, "cold weather ride" enhancing pieces of kit i've ever bought. Very pleased with mine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3