Winter Gloves

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:14 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Balthorpe wrote:
Gerbing Heated Gloves, G12's i think, £114.00 from ebay, wish i'd invested in a pair years ago.

Ok, its a bit of a pain plugging them in, but its well worth it in the long run.

In the normal heating mode they dont feel warm really, but the thing is, your hands dont feel cold. Dont bother p*issing about trying different makes of non heated gloves if you dont want your hands to feel cold, just go and buy a pair of 12volt, plug in, ones and never look back.

They are probably the best, "cold weather ride" enhancing pieces of kit i've ever bought. Very pleased with mine.

How do the heating elements cope with the constant flexing?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no problems with the elements with daily use.

Gerbing offer a lifetime warranty on the wiring though so even if it were to be a problem they'll just replace them. I've used their warranty service after a charger went wibbly, they just chucked me a whole new set of gloves.

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:36 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and will recommend Gerbing gloves to anyone and everyone, so I won't go on and on again but they are invaluable for winter riding.

They do indeed have a lifetime warranty. Mine have been repaired once and they've also replaced the lead/controller once, no questions asked.

When they finally die, I'll be buying a replacement pair for sure.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that puts me off wearing any electrically-heated gear, but especially gloves, is the worry about what happens if they fail while you're out and about. If I am reliant on a gadget, rather than physical layers/muffs, to prevent the onset of frostbite in my finger tips, WTF do I do if the gloves conk out when I'm miles away from my destination with the prospect of hours of riding at icy temperatures ahead?

Apart from sabotaging the bike and calling the RAC to be transported?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
The thing that puts me off wearing any electrically-heated gear, but especially gloves, is the worry about what happens if they fail while you're out and about. If I am reliant on a gadget, rather than physical layers/muffs, to prevent the onset of frostbite in my finger tips, WTF do I do if the gloves conk out when I'm miles away from my destination with the prospect of hours of riding at icy temperatures ahead?

Apart from sabotaging the bike and calling the RAC to be transported?

Why do heated gloves stop you using heated grips, fitting muffs or carrying a spare pair of gloves?

I prefer heated jackets. They replace the lining in a normal jacket, generally do a better job and thats before you turn them on so if they fail you are still better off.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:22 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Balthorpe wrote:
Gerbing Heated Gloves, G12's i think, £114.00 from ebay, wish i'd invested in a pair years ago.

Ok, its a bit of a pain plugging them in, but its well worth it in the long run.

In the normal heating mode they dont feel warm really, but the thing is, your hands dont feel cold. Dont bother p*issing about trying different makes of non heated gloves if you dont want your hands to feel cold, just go and buy a pair of 12volt, plug in, ones and never look back.

They are probably the best, "cold weather ride" enhancing pieces of kit i've ever bought. Very pleased with mine.

No armour in them gloves would put me off buying them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
WTF do I do if the gloves conk out when I'm miles away from my destination with the prospect of hours of riding at icy temperatures ahead?
Why do heated gloves stop you using heated grips, fitting muffs or carrying a spare pair of gloves?

Erm - well, anyone who already has heated grips and muffs isn't going to need the expense or faff of electric gloves on top of that, are they?! And I would consider the requirement to carry a large pair of spare winter-grade gloves with me at all times 'just in case' to be a big putter-offer.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Erm - well, anyone who already has heated grips and muffs isn't going to need the expense or faff of electric gloves on top of that, are they?! And I would consider the requirement to carry a large pair of spare winter-grade gloves with me at all times 'just in case' to be a big putter-offer.

If thats how you feel then why are you even contemplating heated gloves when grips and muffs are cheaper?

This is kind of like a self defeating argument.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
If thats how you feel then why are you even contemplating heated gloves when grips and muffs are cheaper?

I'm not contemplating them! Eh?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

No armour in them gloves would put me off buying them.

XR7 has armour.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I have heated gloves, heated grips and semi-muffs. I don't use the heated grips unless the battery has gone flat on the gloves (whch if it does, it's my own fault for not charging them)

I do ride in all conditions though, coldest I've had on the dashboard was -7C a few years ago. Not trying to be Billy Bigbollocks either, I'm just stubborn and it doesn't really bother me all that much.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:00 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long between charges? How many hours heating csn i expect?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I'm not contemplating them! Eh?

Then it truly is a self defeating argument.

I use heated insoles, heated jacket and heated trousers or at least did when I was working as a courier. I also use good quality GoreTex textiles, Goretex boots, GoreTex gloves, heated grips, muffs and a Tucano Apron.
None if this stopped me carrying a spare pair of gloves, a plastic over jacket and plastic over trousers. I also didn't not use GoreTex in case its waterproofing stopped working.

I don't understand people who want to wear multiple layers to stay warm when the technology is there to stay warm in perfect comfort while still being able to function normally at until recently a relatively low price. I really don't understand why people make excuses to make things as difficult as possible.

A heated jacket is a liner with heating elements in it. Heated gloves are winter gloves with heating elements in them. Heated trousers are a liner with heating elements in them. Heated insoles are an insole with heating elements in them. All of them still do their job while turned off as well or better than that which they replace.

Not wanting to wear heated clothing is perfectly fine but don't use bad excuses to not use it.

As to cost I've just bought Kevin Ash's heated jacket and trousers for the bargain price of £81.00

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used the Gerbings on a bike but I've used them in a microight in winter ( far colder!) And they were superb. I'd like a set for the bike. Like someone else said your hands just feel normal in them rather than heated.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
How long between charges? How many hours heating csn i expect?

On low power I can get three days of commuting. Low is good for 'chilly' weather.

On medium I get maybe two. Medium will cope with 'a bit parky' down to 'jesus my balls are cold'.

On full power, probably about two hours run time. Full power will cover you all the way down to 'brass monkeys' and 'should've gone in the car this is fucking ridiculous'.

Low and medium power don't get 'warm' per se, low just keeps the chill off and medium keeps your hands at body temp. Full power does get nice and toasty and if ambient is below zero then your hands feel perfectly fine. The heating elements run all the way around the fingertips which is quite important so that you don't get nipped by windchill in the extremities.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
A heated jacket is a liner with heating elements in it. Heated gloves are winter gloves with heating elements in them. Heated trousers are a liner with heating elements in them. Heated insoles are an insole with heating elements in them. All of them still do their job while turned off as well or better than that which they replace.

So you're saying the electrical heating is actually superfluous then, right? Thinking

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
So you're saying the electrical heating is actually superfluous then, right? Thinking

No. I'm saying that you will use any reason you can make up to justify your decision.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:14 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On full I'd be having to charge them every day.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Uh-huh

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Or get ones that plug into the bike maybe?

eifion
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spada Enforcers I use as a spring / autumn glove. As others have said they don't really cut the mustard for proper cold.

Last winter on the NC I had the combination of bar muffs, heated grips and my £12.99 Aldi summer gloves, which worked well.

This winter on the Wee the handguards are surprisingly effective at keeping the wind off, not as good as muffs, but still worth having. I have a pair of Gerbing heated gloves which have done well so far. They're a really nice glove with a long cuff and decent seal with the jacket which eliminates drafts which also helps.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-gloves-heated-pad-electric-heating-element-winter-outdoor-warm-mitten-TK/302629733092

These did arrive. They are cloth backed and a bit bigger than my hands, ideal. Folded about 2cm of each finger my fingertips and taped it, so that itll hook over my fingers. Insert with my hand, and they will stay in glove quite nicely.
Comes with cable to go in jacket and another cable to wire in to bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3