Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Piaggio Xevo 250 possible engine replacement

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

9582djk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:13 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Piaggio Xevo 250 possible engine replacement Reply with quote

Hello all, I have a 2009 Piaggio Xevo 250 with 16500 miles. Last Sunday whilst coming home from Gatwick it decided to stop working. I have been told by RAC who recovered the bike that the engine is knackered. I would like a second opinion to be fair as I'm hoping it is an easy job that won't be a stupid price. I live in Wallington and was wondering of any companies local that can diagnose the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the RAC (or any breakdown company I've called for bike problems) know oh so much about bikes.

A bit more information would be helpful.

It decided to stop working: In what way? Just died and wouldn't start again? A death rattle? A loud bang and bits of engine all over the road? Just lost drive? Coughed and spluttered then died?

Scooter engines are extremely easy to work on, and as long as you have the gasket set, you should be able to strip and rebuild it in less than 2 hours.... unless your name is Bodytard, in which case you can f**k up removing a spark plug Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

9582djk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:56 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No noise or anything broken off it just lost power at 70mph and now won't start and turn over. It maybe that it was low on oil and so gas now suffered

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:53 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, was it low on oil or not?

And I mean when it stopped. Filing it now won't fix anything.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:34 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

70mph on almost any 250 is pushing it some... to be doing that sort of speed, it would on parlence be 'thrashing it a bit'.

Lost power and conked out..... no big bangs, no knicking, and now wont turn over.

It 'sounds' from the small detail offered that the bikes siezed up, low oil will not have helped, high speed and likely over-heating, even less... take note if the thing gets fixed, DONT do it again, its not a Fords Focus, designed to do 80 per, for 100K miles!

So, what's seized?

To be fair, most AA/RAC recovery folk these days are often not even fitters, less mechanics, they are little more than removals men, to get you back to base where some-one with the computer can pliug it into the interface under the bonet... ahhh... yes.. that's a problem isn't it... motorbikes dont have bonets.... oh well, you see what I mean....

BUT, fact is the thing dont work, and it wont turn over, it gotta be siezed, 'some-where'.

If you are lucky, could just be nipped up wna dthe piston is smeared to the cylinder wall, if not, could be that magjor bearings on the crank-shaft or gearbox have given up the ghost and welded themselves to thier shaft....

Bottom line is that its an engine out job, to look at the engine, and an engine tear-down job to find out what's gone wrong, then a rebuild, with new bits to put it all to rights....

A-N-D having a little sympathy for the removal man.... at main-dealer labour rates, ony almost ANY bike, the amouynt of work to find out what's wrong, let al,one the bits needed to put it right, and put it back together, ARE likely to tally uyp to more than the bike's worth on the open market, ie its BER or beyond ecconomical repair, or simply 'scrap'....

IF you took it to an independent mechanic? Story isn't all that different TBH. I take the suggestion you can strip any scooter down and put it back together in just 2Hours with a large pinch of salt... on a simple two-stroke Vespa, with a gasket set to hand, spare piston and rings and a new barrel, Maybe... but, so prepared with the bits, from taking dead metal out the frame to putting potensially fixed four-stroke motor back in the frame, with all parts pre-ordered and to hand on the bench, I 'might' just about go do a tear-down and rebuild on a 15 Super-Dream in an long day.... on a bike I wasn't familiar with? One I had to order a work-shop manual for before I started, then bits needed as I discovered I needed them? Yeah, you are realistically looking at around 16-20 mechanic hours, @ a cheap £30 per hour, that is the thick end of £500 JUST to pay the bloke wielding spanners, add parts, and any other work, and you are easily, even with a 'cheap' independent, looking at as much or more than the thigs would be worth, working in good road-worthy condition, on the open market... and its STILL questionable whether the thing is BER or scrap or not.

Beyond that..... you are in the margin and working on a wing and a prayer.

IF, damage inside the engine is not 'so' bad, and possibly with a bit of bodgery, a back-street mechanic might find whats wrong, and manage to clean it up, and salvage it, and put it back together again, and not give you such an arm and a leg bill for the privilidge.... BUT, its all down to chance and you are playing the odds.

IF you are a bit clued up, and prepared to get your hands dirty; no reason you cant save that big wadge of money for paid for mechanic time doing the job DIY.... you will need good spanners and a work-shop manual, so it still wont be utterly 'free', and you will still need to buy bits you find broke, and they likely wont be cheap; BUT, not costing your time, only money you deinitely have to hand over, you 'might' be able to fix the thing for £100 or so.....

SO... if working how much would it be worth? How much is it worth to you? How quickly do you want a working bike? How much do you fancy getting hands dirty, and ultimately how much money you got to remidy this problem?

Its almost certainly fixeable, it is just a matter of how much, and taking it to a mechanic, ANY mechanic, you are likely to get pretty much the same answer as from the RAC man, and have to pay them to get it.....

Sorry, but that's cold harsh reality.

But, if scrap, what you got to loose cracking out the socket set and giving it a go?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Piaggio Xevo 250 possible engine replacement Reply with quote

9582djk wrote:
Hello all, I have a 2009 Piaggio Xevo 250 with 16500 miles. Last Sunday whilst coming home from Gatwick it decided to stop working. I have been told by RAC who recovered the bike that the engine is knackered. I would like a second opinion to be fair as I'm hoping it is an easy job that won't be a stupid price. I live in Wallington and was wondering of any companies local that can diagnose the problem.

What is "a stupid price"? Can you get it to a bike shop to get another opinion? Can you get a used (eBay or whatever) engine to bolt in?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: engine Reply with quote

Start with a picture, several even, of the engine. You know how to use a spanner ?

Look at parts diagrams for the engine that can only help ( scare the crap out of ) you.

How much does the engine hold and how much did you have to put in to bring the oil level to max?

Pics pics pics.....

Are you a female? not that that really matters or makes a difference, female make good engineers

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:28 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. To echo the other responses, more information please. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the RAC man is wrong.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 124 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1