Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rebuilding muscle after surgery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Rebuilding muscle after surgery Reply with quote

Hi All,

Been a little while since I last posted. Had a couple of life changing things happen these past couple of months. So thought i'd update and consult you wonderful lot about something..

Pretty sure a few of you 'orrible lot have have a few accidents in your time so here is a good place to ask.

This is the long part for all that might be interested. Last week I had an "episode" (read nightmare) and jumped over my girlfriend in the middle of the night and landed on a glass tumbler. Said glass went through my arm, hit an artery and I started pissing with blood. Being on holiday in the arse-end nowhere of Cornwall, it took the ambulance over an hour to get to me. Approx 2l of blood lost and a very bloody Airbnb later I arrived in Truro, got put under and stitched up. I was told by the paramedic that I wouldn't have survived if my girlfriend hadn't helped stemmed the blood-flow for the last 40mins as I couldn't hold the wound after the first 30mins due to nearly passing out.
So, my question is; with my very limited movement I have right now (my hand is fine and a dexterous as usual) how long does it take for this kind of injury to heal? I'm sure it's a case of how long is a piece of string, but is there anything I can be doing in the meantime before I have my stitches taken out?
Please excuse my grammar, still ploughing though the painkillers and I'm not 100% with it.
Oh and I'm going to be a Dad.

TL;DR
Cut my arm pretty bad, went through muscle, got limited movement and looking for any advise to help get myself back to normal.

Last edited by winz on 22:47 - 27 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait to speak to the Dr.

Any therapy just now should be rest and proper diet.

You can do a little bit to get dressed, wash etc but masturbation with the affected limb is off limits for now.

When stitches are removed they may begin physio. But up until then it's wait and rest.

Provided there is not am lot of nerve damage the muscle will repair surprisingly well.
Expect some discomfort/deep pain when they 'start to work on you' in physio.

Did you get your hole on holiday in Cornwall? Just for the record.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding muscle after surgery Reply with quote

winz wrote:
Cut my arm pretty bad, went through muscle, got limited movement and looking for any advise to help get myself back to normal.

Do not do anything physical until you have had your stitches out AND asked the quack. Soft tissue damage is IME likely to take longer to heal than a break.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having suffered a very bad injury to bone and flesh on my hand a long time ago , I can tell you it will be a long recovery.
DO NOT push it or it will all pop open and you will have to start again, I know.
You must let it heal first.

If your recovery is anything like mine.
You will have muscle wastage at first, along with weakness and reduced mobility.
Once it has healed , then you need to make a concerted effort to use it, and that will hurt.
My recovery took 2years before I was discharged from out patients.

My point being = don’t push it.
GWS Thumbs Up

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they said (except MCN unnecessarily mentioning wanking. Was it your right arm BTW?) and...........

Congratulations on the little Winz Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, +1

I buggered up and had soft-tissue surgery on my shoulder last year and all advice was to immobilise and let it heal properly before doing any rehab; and even then only to do so under supervision (ie so you don't push it too far too early)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:19 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
What they said (except MCN unnecessarily mentioning wanking. Was it your right arm BTW?) and...........

Congratulations on the little Winz Thumbs Up

It's not like there's the same rules governing dominant hands for that task.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:05 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt to wank with my left hand when I broke my right wrist.

It took a while to get the hang of achieving long, consistent strokes whilst I was, ahem, distracted but it comes in time.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I learnt to wank with my left hand when I broke my right wrist.

It took a while to get the hang of achieving long, consistent strokes whilst I was, ahem, distracted but it cums in time.

IFTFY. Thumbs Up

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaand this is why we all love BCF, a guy seeks advice following an horrific injury and it immediately turns to a mass debate about wanking.

Wub

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:44 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding muscle after surgery Reply with quote

winz wrote:
Hi All,

Been a little while since I last posted. Had a couple of life changing things happen these past couple of months. So thought i'd update and consult you wonderful lot about something..

Pretty sure a few of you 'orrible lot have have a few accidents in your time so here is a good place to ask.

This is the long part for all that might be interested. Last week I had an "episode" (read nightmare) and jumped over my girlfriend in the middle of the night and landed on a glass tumbler. Said glass went through my arm, hit an artery and I started pissing with blood. Being on holiday in the arse-end nowhere of Cornwall, it took the ambulance over an hour to get to me. Approx 2l of blood lost and a very bloody Airbnb later I arrived in Truro, got put under and stitched up. I was told by the paramedic that I wouldn't have survived if my girlfriend hadn't helped stemmed the blood-flow for the last 40mins as I couldn't hold the wound after the first 30mins due to nearly passing out.
So, my question is; with my very limited movement I have right now (my hand is fine and a dexterous as usual) how long does it take for this kind of injury to heal? I'm sure it's a case of how long is a piece of string, but is there anything I can be doing in the meantime before I have my stitches taken out?
Please excuse my grammar, still ploughing though the painkillers and I'm not 100% with it.
Oh and I'm going to be a Dad.

TL;DR

My martial arts teacher recently had a rotator cuff repair. He had tendons cut (which the docs said they wouldn't do, and didn't need to do, but normally do as routine to save on pain. They made a promise that they later said they couldn't keep... Rolling Eyes ). This was back in May I think? It was about the time I quit my job anyway, and now in December you wouldn't know he'd had anything done at all. He does push hard at everything, and he did start doing light weights and stuff earlier than the doctors advised, but with a following wind and some decent physio you could be up and running comparatively quickly.

I broke my foot and my wrist back in 2011, and my foot still isn't quite right, but I think it's because I took it a little bit too easily after the first three months or so. What I've been doing since is stretching and putting more pressure on it, and I'm getting a fair bit of movement back. So I guess the take away from this is as follows:

Arrow You do need to take it easy
Arrow But you do need to put a BIT of pressure on yourself over time but listen to your body
Arrow Even if it feels like you're not getting better, keep going because you will still make progress.

British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, Karma coming your way.

Luckily I'm right handed when it comes to self relief. Need to start more of that so I don't get into any more trouble! But most other jobs I am left handed, so it's been a bit of a bummer trying to do things with my right hand.

Unfortunately being self employed I'm still trying to work, I can still use a computer and my arm is supported and still, without pain.

I've got an appointment with a nurse for the stitches, so I'll try and get an appointment with a doc to see what I can do about recovery.

Since hearing the news, the Blackbird is going to a new home and car purchase is imminent, but she's let me keep the Fireblade. Glad it's winter so I'm not missing out on much riding action... Cool

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you fancy a little treat, this is what my flappy gash looks like now..

https://i.imgur.com/SoAbepM.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:31 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, back the the matter in hand.

Did you know the term for being able to wank with both hands is ambisinister?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on - you look nothing like your avatar?

I've found that pouring vinegar onto cuts heals them faster. NO DON'T!!

Great advice above. Remember to eat well because your body needs to heal itself. Most importantly is to stay positive and focused when injury happens. A positive mind can take you a long way.

Try a Marigold glove internally lubed and wedged between mattress and bed base. Kneel in front of and insert dick.
For extra frills turn Marigold glove inside out before lubing - the palm grips feel wonderful.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Anyway, back the the matter in hand.

Did you know the term for being able to wank with both hands is ambisinister?

I really dont think he was referring to THAT muscle.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:54 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get your deposit back for the airbnb?

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Did you get your deposit back for the airbnb?

I'll have to check as the girlfriend booked that one.

They were amazing hosts. They cleaned everything up the next morning and said it was fine for us to stay an extra couple of nights free of charge. My parents went there the next day to pick up our rental car and said that you wouldn't have known that a massacre had just happened.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:19 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now go and research up to date first aid for catastrophic bleeding and learn how to use a torniquet. Same goes for your gf. You could have died needlessly. (it's not difficult, If there is catastrophic bleeding on an extremity that you can't stop by direct pressure and you don't have any cellox granules, use a tourniquet. Leave it on until help arrives.).

Keep those fingers moving.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So, now go and research up to date first aid for catastrophic bleeding and learn how to use a torniquet. Same goes for your gf. You could have died needlessly. (it's not difficult, If there is catastrophic bleeding on an extremity that you can't stop by direct pressure and you don't have any cellox granules, use a tourniquet. Leave it on until help arrives.).

Keep those fingers moving.

We spoke about doing this while I was in hospital. I knew that I had to apply lots of pressure and keep the wound above my head. But proper training will certainly be beneficial. The paramedics applied a field tourniquet when they arrived and that wasn't much fun. But hey, at least I didn't bleed out.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:03 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie something around the limb above the bleed, put something through what it is you're using as a tourniquet and then you can twist that to tighten the tourniquet?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:35 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Tie something around the limb above the bleed, put something through what it is you're using as a tourniquet and then you can twist that to tighten the tourniquet?

Pretty much. You can buy at least three types online fro in first aid kits. The most basic one of them is effectively a short camlock strap like you put luggage on your bike with. The military ones are effectively a bandage with a built-in stick to twist.

Israeli bandages are also a pretty smart piece of kit. Direct pressure wound dressing.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it your wanking arm?

Speaking from experience, DO NOT RUSH THINGS.

I am now waiting for another op on my shoulder after pushing things too hard after surgery.
Keep things moving but don't go daft until its healed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:40 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Is it your wanking arm?.

You're a bit late for that party.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Israeli bandages are also a pretty smart piece of kit. Direct pressure wound dressing.

As demo'ed at the 'Biker Down' course I went on last year. Bought one there and then for my bike first-aid kit. Of course, it's only useful for me to use on others, as if I were ever to need it myself, no other bugger would have a clue how to work the thing even of they found it Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2