Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Rider Insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:29 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: New Rider Insurance Reply with quote

Firstly Hi all.

I have my CBT n Friday 7th December but have already bought a 2017 Honda CB125F, so I am doing some research in preparation. So i just wanted to ask a question about insurance and in particularly the social or SDP and commuting classification.

I will not technically be using my bike for commuting but I will be riding to the train station. Would this require commuting added to the policy? I am assuming so but want to check.

Now i am a car driver of well over 20 years and this has never been something i have bothered about previously as the cost is generally no different in car insurance. However the bike quote goes up over 2 thirds if i add commuting to the policy.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought commuting on policies stated "to and from a place of work"

As I don't work at the train station, I said no

Could always call one of the companies and ask them?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: New Rider Insurance Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
I will not technically be using my bike for commuting but I will be riding to the train station. Would this require commuting added to the policy?

Assuming your train journey is commuting, then yes, of course the bike part of the trip is commuting too... not sure how you could think otherwise. (From an insurance point of view, it means that you are - probably - going to be riding at least 10 times a week at the busiest times of day, and leaving the bike parked up away from home in the same place, all day every day - so hardly surprising that they want you to pay more than the weekend warrior whose bike comes up a couple of times a week if the weather's nice, and otherwise lives in a locked garage all day...)

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:

I will not technically be using my bike for commuting but I will be riding to the train station. Would this require commuting added to the policy?

I just Googled it for you, and the T&C / FAQ pages for a couple of major insurers suggest that is commuting. You could even try the pages for your insurer.

Fizzoid wrote:

As I don't work at the train station, I said no

Good point. I don't work in a car park, so next time I'm saying "no" too Wink

Last edited by Evil Hans on 14:58 - 29 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: New Rider Insurance Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
However the bike quote goes up over 2 thirds if i add commuting to the policy.

My bikes have always lived in an imaginary garage Wink You just have to remember that if you do have an accident you were not going to work.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:59 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers gents. this is why i was a little unsure and i agree with both of you to an extent.

Fizzoid - that is what the text states and maybe you could get away with it (or not). If its stolen while you were at work then you could say you were on a day trip to the city. But its a risk.

FreddyFruitBat - i also thought as it is part of your wider commute it would still count.

think i will call them and confirm.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:01 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: New Rider Insurance Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
RAYK47 wrote:

My bikes have always lived in an imaginary garage Wink You just have to remember that if you do have an accident you were not going to work.

again i was thinking the same. Its definately social to go on a day trip to London.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:12 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is considered commuting and probably rightly so. Also I think it's too risky to not include it. However I will speak to the insurance company when buying to see what they say.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: New Rider Insurance Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
You just have to remember that if you do have an accident you were not going to work.

But also remember that the bigger the claim, the more likely that the insurer will expend considerable effort in trying to avoid paying it it. If you cause a £100,000 accident at 8:30 am on a weekday they will instantly assume 'commuting' and it wouldn't be particularly hard to work out where you work or that you were expected there at 9:00 am.

Similar applies to parking in the station carpark - fine to kid yourself that's not 'commuting', but that matters not one jot when the insurer takes a different view. If in doubt ask them, and record it/get it in writing.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, it's not likely to make that much difference to the cost of your insurance adding it in.. Certainly less so than your occupation..

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
To be fair, it's not likely to make that much difference to the cost of your insurance adding it in.. Certainly less so than your occupation..

The OP has already stated it puts his premium up by 2/3rds adding it in

Anyway, this should help clear things up

https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/guides/car-insurance-classes-of-use

Quote:
Social and commuting
This provides cover as above for social, domestic and pleasure use, as well as for driving back and forth to a permanent place of work.

Travelling to a railway station en route to work, where the car is parked, is usually classed as commuting. Dropping someone else off at their place of work may also be classed as commuting by your insurer.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: New Rider Insurance Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
RAYK47 wrote:

MC, might be worth a read, from last months Motorcycle Monthly

It's really not worth the risk of not having your bike insured for theft

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:58 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. I think I need to play it safe in this one.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: New Rider Insurance Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
M.C wrote:

MC, might be worth a read, from last months Motorcycle Monthly

It's really not worth the risk of not having your bike insured for theft

Always been TPO or occasionally TPF&T. My reason for declaring a garage on a TPO policy is I don't see why my policy should be loaded when I have no theft cover. F&T is a little naughty but if it was stolen from 'home' I wouldn't claim, personally I see the theft risk being a lot higher when it's parked up somewhere during the day.

Fully comp' has always been way too expensive for me. Bringing this back to topic Smile I have always declared commuting as it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference, and it's a bit hard to argue you were going to the shops or a mates house at 6am.

My point was more if you're going to lie remember the lie Very Happy

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine got pulled over by police who had a go at him about his insurance not covering going to work. They just assumed he was because he was going into London early in the morning, he didn’t argue just said sorry and that he would sort it out.

Also one of my policies, think it was devitt, declared a garage and the fine print said if it was stolen within a certain distance and not in the garage there would be additional excess.

Just make sure you read everything and say the right things when you need to.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
A friend of mine got pulled over by police who had a go at him about his insurance not covering going to work. They just assumed he was because he was going into London early in the morning, he didn’t argue just said sorry and that he would sort it out.

Also one of my policies, think it was devitt, declared a garage and the fine print said if it was stolen within a certain distance and not in the garage there would be additional excess.

Just make sure you read everything and say the right things when you need to.

That's why you don't (to quote Rogerborg) talk to the police Wink I know they always get delivery drivers with the insurance thing, which as far as I know is none of their business.

The story I heard was that the guy was cleaning his bike on his driveway and it was stolen, and his insurance company didn't want to know because it should have been in the garage. What about when you get off to open your garage Thinking

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:04 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided not to risk it and I am going to add commute to the policy. Managed to get it for £197 including commute (was £125 without)

Looking forward to me CBT on Friday, went out on my bike at the weekend (private land) and I got on surprisingly well. The first time I have used a geared bike and the first time on 2 motorised wheels at all for almost 30 years. Had no issues with the gears and only stalled once, that was when I had stopped and forgot I was still in gear.

Here's to Friday. I am nervous but my dad seemed to think I will breeze it, dad's would say that though.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck for Friday Thumbs Up

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, OP, how did you get on?

You're doing the right thing with insurance - it has to be 100% correct. Anything else is madness, and the consequences could be both severe and long-lasting.

I went with Aviva, who were half the price of Devitt and Bikeinsure. Both of those wanted to broker an Aviva policy for me anyway, so by cutting out the middle man, it saved nearly half.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:33 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huarachedevil wrote:
Hey, OP, how did you get on?

You're doing the right thing with insurance - it has to be 100% correct. Anything else is madness, and the consequences could be both severe and long-lasting.

I went with Aviva, who were half the price of Devitt and Bikeinsure. Both of those wanted to broker an Aviva policy for me anyway, so by cutting out the middle man, it saved nearly half.

Hi fella, yeah passed the CBT and have been enjoying the CB125 F over the weekend (when kids and wife allowed). I got told off for being out for three hours on Saturday and forgot to call her, apparently I am inconsiderate for not even letting her know I was alive. Oops.

Bennet's quoted me £184 fire and theft + commuting so pretty happy with that. Must admit I often use a comparison then go direct to see if it's cheaper, sometimes pays off.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1