Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CB125F Rust

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:41 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Honda CB125F Rust Reply with quote

I have bought a Honda CB125F (2017) and although it is currently I'm excellent condition I have heard a lot of horror stories about rust.

What is the best way to be Pro active with this problem?

Also I am a new rider with very little mechanical talent so any advice on keeping it tip top will be appreciated.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it clean , wipe over exposed bits with an oily rag.
Spray all the nooks and crannys with ACF-50.

Remember not to wipe the seat or tyres or discs with oil Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:11 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't rust, it's flux.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:14 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a CB125F, the bike with the notoriouse 'fast flux' reputation is the CBF125..... made in a different factory in a different country.
Yeah.... it gets confusing, 'cos 'Onda have been making the CB125 since something like 1973, and used the same model designation on... lets see...
CB125S... original air-cooled OHC four-stroke single
CB125T... twin cylinder, air-cooled OHC
CB125TD.. mono-shock twin cylinder successor to 'T'
CB125RS... single cylinder four-stroke, using the re-engineered CB125'S' engine, from the XL125 dirt-bike!
Then after a couple of decades pushing the push-rod OHV CG125 single, it leaps to the
CB'F'125, which is ISTR an air-cooled OHC four-stroke single... with an engine unrelated to the tooling of the earlier singles or twins... made in India, with a rust-issue.
CB125F, which I believe uses the water-cooled and fuel injected engine from the CB'R'125, for 21st century emmissions regs, early examples I think made in Japan....
Which is hint to be sure you are explicit in describing the exact 'See-Bee one-two-five' you have... they have made a lot of them over the decades, and reccyled the model coding!

Other than that... its a bike.... more still, its a learner-bike.... all steel rusts, especially where the paint gets scraped.... you want it to stay looking shiny, your best bet is to try not scraping paint, or chrome, and your best way to do that is to learn to ride... which suggests getting a full licence, and not just relying on the first lesson of CBT to exploit L-Plate laws to ride unsupervised as if you had passed tests without actually taking them.

Beyond that, basic maintenence; keep it clean; pay attension to the user manual and service shedule; tension and oil the chain when it neds; change the oil as required, sont over tighten the sump plug when you do, be careful not to bend or strip the chain adjusters, and remember to loosen the axle bolt before tensioning, sort of stuff...

It Learner-Bike, neglect and abuse is endemic and expected, you dont have to do maintenance brilliantly to stay ahead of the pack... just do 'some'!!! A-N-D try to keep it rubber side down!

Even the rust-a-lot CBF will loose more of its looks in less time, from fumbling wheeling it out the shed, and dropping it on the drive, than tin-worm will do in a week... so don't sweat the small stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:41 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks teflon.

The plan will be to get full license during the life of the CBT however this will give me some practice while I wait.

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
Thanks teflon.

The plan will be to get full license during the life of the CBT however this will give me some practice while I wait.

just cover it in some kind of rust protector I use acf 50 ..
get it in everywhere the water can get ..just put a winter coat on about 2 weeks ago after a heavy rain reapply ..
wash it off in feb .. alls good

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:34 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1