Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Black Widow Exhausts, ERS scheme and Forum Membership

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Black Widow Exhausts, ERS scheme and Forum Membership Reply with quote

Insurance renewal time. I'm a good boy with 5 years protected no claims and no convictions.

I've been with Principal for a while and the've been quite good at finding me decent prices and haven't been arsey about mods. This year my cheap-ass black widow system meant they got really fussy. The Black Widow website claims
Quote:

Chris Newbigging at Performance Bikes Magazine tried the 2016 Suzuki Bandit challenge with a Black Widow system, he won both races he entered. His Dyno test as published independently by Performance bikes found BHP up by 6.4 BHP.

Previously this as been a bit we're very sorry but that'll be an extra fiver kind of issue. This year they went to town on the fact that the numbers are for a race prepped bike and with unknown other mods and for an unnown variant of the system. Wanted an extra 200 squids. That's more their optimisitc renewal quote.

To be fair on Principal, it sounded like their underwriter was being a dick and the underwriter available last year was not available this year, but they cocked up the renewal by a) not quoting for the exhaust in my renewal and b) fabricating the price i paid for this years premium to make thier non-viable renewal look good. Sorry. Bye

But Black Widow, (and Delkevic, you do this to) please make some kind of not-to-wild claims of what the exhausts do with the baffles in and make it less than 5%. Motad were absolute heros for saying "direct OEM replacement".

Cherry on top, one of the advisors at principal clamed to have a later water cooled bandit ("It's the white goods of the motorcycle world") and is so glad they don't make that marketing claim about the later ones.... Smug git.

Anyway I went elsewhere. My ERS actually saved me 15%. Quite happy about that. It hasn't previously. It may have been part of the long story of getting a cheaper first policy on the car, but that was plain weird.

Other weirdness was being asked "are you a member of any online forums?" to which I repllied "Yes, lots, do you want to know about all of them becasue that will take some time or just he bike specific ones?". She didn't know, and guessed at just the bike specific ones. "Just BCF." "The computer doesn't recognise that one so it's probalby not important"

Is this a byklyf detector or suchlike or a way of asking is u a net nazi? I'm a bit concerend as to where such questioning might be going. Are underwriters trawling forums for reasons to invalidate policies now?[/quote]

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I FUCK ever tell an insurer what forums I use. I'd just answer no. It's as much their business as much as what
I had for dinner last night and when I next plan to cut my toenails. Brass neck asking IMO. I get "why" they claim
they ask things like this, but still no. Fucking cheek.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as my insurance company is concerned all my bikes have been standard regardless of any "mods" fitted Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
As far as my insurance company is concerned all my bikes have been standard regardless of any "mods" fitted Rolling Eyes

Whereas none of mine are standard always declared and it makes no difference to my broker. Often the cheapest price isn't the cheapest in the end.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:21 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked out why sticking a non oem exhaust on a bike makes insurance more expensive but if you go to quiqfit and hqve a non oem exhaust stuck on your car the insurance companies don't give a shit.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
andym wrote:

Whereas none of mine are standard always declared and it makes no difference to my broker. Often the cheapest price isn't the cheapest in the end.

Guess that's a dig at MCE and their ~£150 less per year for the same policy then?

So far they have asked me for proof of: Licence (scanned and sent), mileage (photos of mileage), lock up where bike is parked at night (photos of lock up with insured bike(s) parked in there), what I work as (because I done a quote for motorcycle courier they asked me to prove that I was in other employment, I scanned a payslip with amounts blurred).... so far they've never asked me to prove that any of my bikes have been standard or what security devices are fitted/used.

For the last 7 years (for me anyway), the cheapest price HAS been the cheapest in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:50 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just BCF?

Laughing

Do you want to be uninsurable?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
So far they have asked me for proof of: Licence (scanned and sent), mileage (photos of mileage), lock up where bike is parked at night (photos of lock up with insured bike(s) parked in there), what I work as (because I done a quote for motorcycle courier they asked me to prove that I was in other employment, I scanned a payslip with amounts blurred).... so far they've never asked me to prove that any of my bikes have been standard or what security devices are fitted/used.

For the last 7 years (for me anyway), the cheapest price HAS been the cheapest in the end.

I've not been asked for any of the above ever except my license about 20 years ago. I guess my time is worth more than yours and my insurance is worth more than the sheet of paper it is written on, unlike yours.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid a £20 premium to not deal with MCE. Went there once and had to explain basic math to them over over the course of many letters, and "what part of 'I expect a written reply' did you not understand" became my stock greeting for them on the phone.

I don't think i've ever had an underwriter care about luggage racks and heated grips and suchlike. But there was vague pissyness about my OEM eqivalent Motad, and the whole black widow buisiness is just infuriating. Some underwriters don't care, some get really pissy. I've never paid more than a tenner over go-compare prices for a stock bike but the hastle is infuriating.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the huge performance hike I get out of my Suzuki Van Van 125 fitted with a Black Widow exhaust sends my insurance quote through the roof then.................bugga !.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if they've found someone with a race prepped vanvan and are trying to claim that a pipe is all you need to do.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:00 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carole Nash told me that passing the ERS actually decreased their wiggle room, and the price would end up slightly higher as a result!

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet again the insurance market shoots for the feet.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get plenty of insurance discounts when i was into cars, and the accompanying single make forums that went with them, most forums even sought out specific brokers who would offer discounts for forum members

I guess the reasoning was that if you are member of a single mark forum, you are more likely to be an enthusiast than boy racer

Whatever the reason, i enjoyed several years of discounted insurance for signing up to several forums

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three words explain why insurers are interested in forums.

Track day & modification.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Three words explain why insurers are interested in forums.

Track day & modification.

Well if you are daft enough to not declare your mods, then don't post about it on a forum you have told your insurance you frequent, then you deserve a slapping if you make a claim Rolling Eyes

If you are happy to declare them, and save yourself a few quid in the process, then surely thats a win for the customer

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:39 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems an inherently bad idea to volunteer information to your insurance company which they could use against you in the event of a claim.

They're not interested in whether or not you're an enthusiast, they're interested in offering a "discount" because ome people will buy insurance from them on the assumption that the xx% discount means it'll be cheaper than everywhere else and on top, everyone who signs up is giving them a huge amount of information.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1