Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TOP Box recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:27 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: TOP Box recommendations Reply with quote

So I am looking for a top box for my CB125F plus anything else needed to secure it.

The box is needed to carry laptop bag, lock and jacket to the station. Then house the motorcycle jacket and helmet while I am at work.

The easy choice is the Givi range but I was hoping there was something cheaper out there.

From what I can see I need the following: -

1) Givi SR1142 fixing bracket
2) monolock top box (I think about 35l should be enough) plus universal fixing plate (which should come with the box)

These seem to add up to about £120 including delivery.

Can anyone advise if there are cheaper or better alternatives out there.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get a monoKEY plate for that bike? The weight of kit you can ride with in a monolock box is next to nothing. Then get a 2nd hand monokey box of the ebays unless you're precious about looks.

A better approach might be a strong luggage rack and a universal monoKEY mounting plate.

I like the E45 and E46 boxes, they're really tough.

Kappa boxes are givi compatible and cheaper.

Check YOUR helmet fits into the box you're buying either before you hand over cash or if you mail ordered before you fit. Modern helmets are bigger, and I'm yet to fit two helmets into a two helmet box.

The cheaper approach might be a luggae rack and a cheap top box that bolts directly on or has it's own mounting system that isn't vastly interchangeable like the givi or high end kit, but the givi monoKEY stuff i bought second hand when I started riding I still have, and it's still good. I bought a lock set so my big E45 and E46 boxes use the same keys as my little E21 boxes and prettly much lived out of my luggage for 6 years.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:13 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fella

I can it find the monolock rack for it, I guess as it's only a small bike they probably don't make one.

I did spot the Kappa box so could be an option.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Givi boxes are nothing special, overpriced rubbish in my opinion.

52L Tech7, or any other brands of the same box, works perfectly well for under 30 quid delivered. Does not fall off at high speed when filled way over the recommended weight limit, and adds good crash protection to the bike.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to fit the universal monokey plate E251 to the Givi rack. I wouldn't bother with a monolock plate.

The E55 Maxia would look ridiculous on your CB125 but it does comfortably fit two helmets and would cope with a helmet and jacket.

The rack would be the weak link provided you can get a box that fits everything. Givi racks are reasonably decently made. I wouldn't try to save money on something cheaper - I've had cheap racks snap from vibration causing metal fatigue - unless you're willing to look into welding or other improvements.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
52L Tech7

Is cheap trash, but well suited to the budget. I had one; it was with one of these that a rack snapped. It's also a box that fell off on the dual carriageway after vibration loosened the single screw that holds it on.

Invest in the rack to avoid it snapping. If you invest in a box it can move with you from bike to bike.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:22 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had confirmation that Givi don't make a monokey rack for my bike.

I think I will have to go for the monolock rack for this bike. If and when I do my full license I will invest in better luggage then.

Cheers again everyone.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: TOP Box recommendations Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
The box is needed to [...] house the motorcycle jacket and helmet while I am at work.

Unless you've got a very flimsy jacket, you're talking about a pretty big topbox there - I really doubt that 35L would cut the mustard

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:59 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: TOP Box recommendations Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
RAYK47 wrote:
The box is needed to [...] house the motorcycle jacket and helmet while I am at work.

Unless you've got a very flimsy jacket, you're talking about a pretty big topbox there - I really doubt that 35L would cut the mustard

Hmm might see if I can try one out in a shop somewhere first.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: TOP Box recommendations Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
RAYK47 wrote:

My old topbox was 32L. It would just about take a full-face helmet with maybe space for a sandwich left over. Maybe a pair of socks.

I think the box on my Bandit is a 56L ... about the size of two full face helmets. I probably wouldn't get my helmet and armoured winter jacket in it though.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per freddyfruitbat's post
I have a largish (nominal 2 helmet) Givi top box and would struggle to fit both helmet and armoured jacket in it.
The jacket alone would probably fill it up.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:18 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. Iight need to rethink.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If stuck for space perchance this may be a solution.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/78261

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Givi boxes are nothing special, overpriced rubbish in my opinion.

52L Tech7, or any other brands of the same box, works perfectly well for under 30 quid delivered. Does not fall off at high speed when filled way over the recommended weight limit, and adds good crash protection to the bike.

+1 For this.. I've had 2 slightly differing ones of these on my, Mash & CF650TR, for over 3 years, each, never had a problem, fit's 2 helmets in, if needed, also fit my laptop bag & camera bag in easily as well. Also waterproof, and both be used. I've attached them permanently to the bases supplied, perhaps add to their stability?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://renntec.com/honda-cbf125-carrier-in-black.html
or indeed the givi steel rack but don't buy the monolock plate

and the tech7 box (which has it's own universal plate)?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware Givi/others have a stupid design on many where the handle is in the way and wont fit your stuff!

52L will fit:
a lid and jacket
Or boots and lid,
Jacket and trousers
I will often take a cheap lid and lock it to bike, boots and jacket in box, wear normal jeans, nothing extra to carry.

barrkel wrote:
kramdra wrote:
52L Tech7

Is cheap trash, but well suited to the budget. I had one; it was with one of these that a rack snapped. It's also a box that fell off on the dual carriageway after vibration loosened the single screw that holds it on.

Invest in the rack to avoid it snapping. If you invest in a box it can move with you from bike to bike.

But no worse quality. Incorrect fitment. Did you use threadlock?

I have had two of these boxes since 2012. The first was replaced 2015 because it looked tatty, but it each withstood about 40k miles of high speed use and several crashes.

I do secure my the box to the plate with several extra M8 bolts as some plastic tabs with an m5 bolt is a bit inadequate at 140mph but will do on a learner. I also have no desire to remove the box when I am out to carry around -thats a stupid idea. If I want to remove and leave at home, the rack has only 4 bolts and that comes off instead.

I use a rentec rack and two halfs of a rear sprocket to bolt the box very securely to the bike.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:43 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you kramdra.would a box that large look ridiculous on a 125? The Ryde ones are very cheap.

I was considering locking the lid to the bike but there is no covered parking so will probably get wet.

I am going to ask a stupid question but do I need a specific rack for one of these? Or would I just use the Givi one?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 52L on my Enfield, cost me £25 from eBay. Holds my jacket, waterproofs, gloves and helmet no problem.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-52L-UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-BACK-BOX-TOP-BOX-HELMET-LUGAGGE-STORAGE/273246717260

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=101823

Lock wouldn't take much to spring, but if you want better security you can always bolt on a hasp and staple with large metal washers as backing with a decent padlock.

if you're worried about what you look like, don't ride a 125.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:51 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see there is only one rack I can get, the Givi SR1142.

Would that mean I can only use Givi monolock top box with it. Or can I use any as lock as it has a compatible plate with it i.e. the Ryde

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:

Would that mean I can only use Givi monolock top box with it. Or can I use any as lock as it has a compatible plate with it i.e. the Ryde

You can bolt ANY univeral style plate to that rack, but it's not particularly strong, hence being recommended for monolock only.

Does the Renntec rack i linked a few posts above not fit?

SW motech do a rack for your bike but you'll need their GIVI (or other topbox) plate for it and it's pricey. Good though.

Google harder.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:47 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
RAYK47 wrote:

You can bolt ANY univeral style plate to that rack, but it's not particularly strong, hence being recommended for monolock only.

Does the Renntec rack i linked a few posts above not fit?

SW motech do a rack for your bike but you'll need their GIVI (or other topbox) plate for it and it's pricey. Good though.

Google harder.

No the renntech does not fit 2016 + models.

Motech don't list one for the 2016+ model either.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares what thw box looks like on a small bike, youll look far more of a tit walking around in squeeky boots and leathers becuase only a lid fits. Get big as you can and make sure theres no silly recessed handle. If they made one Id like a 100L box.

The tech7 and clones will bolt onto any rack. The givi rack looks adequate and cheapest.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:08 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Who cares what thw box looks like on a small bike, youll look far more of a tit walking around in squeeky boots and leathers becuase only a lid fits.

🤣🤣

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:14 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I've got a 52L on my Enfield, cost me £25 from eBay. Holds my jacket, waterproofs, gloves and helmet no problem.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-52L-UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-BACK-BOX-TOP-BOX-HELMET-LUGAGGE-STORAGE/273246717260

Lock wouldn't take much to spring, but if you want better security you can always bolt on a hasp and staple with large metal washers as backing with a decent padlock.

That's just the one I have on my bike. It holds my helmet and my full armured jacket. Cost a shade over 20 squid from ebay delivered. I do have a rack on my bike to which the supplied plate fitted a treat. If you don't need to regularly remove the box, then it is good (has a screwed retainer inside). It does look a bit like a fat lady standing in a bath on my bike, which is virtually a CM125C custom but with a 233cc motor but even when loaded with 6 X 2 litre bottles of water the handling is not affected.
HTH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:35 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petemate wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

That's just the one I have on my bike. It holds my helmet and my full armured jacket. Cost a shade over 20 squid from ebay delivered. I do have a rack on my bike to which the supplied plate fitted a treat. If you don't need to regularly remove the box, then it is good (has a screwed retainer inside). It does look a bit like a fat lady standing in a bath on my bike, which is virtually a CM125C custom but with a 233cc motor but even when loaded with 6 X 2 litre bottles of water the handling is not affected.
HTH

Thanks Pete, I think I am going to go for one of those.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2