BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KLR650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: KLR650 Reply with quote

Has anyone got any experience of the KLR650.

Basically, to summarise, I've recently come out of detox after work issues led to me hitting the bottle pretty bad. As an incentive for staying sober I've promised myself a KLR650 about February time, as it's the bigger brother to my old KMX125 which I miss like hell.

I see there are a few versions around and I'm after some advice. I'll be looking for riding onroad only really
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with them. What's your budget?

My old man has one with about 90k on it. Big following in America. My xt600e is much more lively to ride however.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to spend somewhere in the region of £3k ish
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:52 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: KLR650 Reply with quote

I wouldn't call it a bigger brother to the KMX125 - a KDX or KLX, maybe. Perhaps the LKR600.

The KLR650 is much heavier.

I had an original one for a bit - it was 'okay', but afraid compared to other bikes I've had, nothing particularly amazing about it.

That money could get you an earlier KTM690 enduro - a good chunk more power and a good chunk less weight for a similar form factor.
A much better bike in most ways.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing the above - what about the kmx do you miss?

If it was the power delivery, light weight or general characteristics you will be disappointed with a klr or any low-tune big single. They're very soft, plodders - like a big 125 4 stroke. Cruising speed is a comfortable 60ish and you might see 90 on the clock if you're lucky in full tuck.

For an every day license friendly, economical form of transport they are good though. But for 'fun' I'd choose something else.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:39 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a KLE500 too. Fairly similar to the KLR in overall shape and size but a 500 twin, possibly better on the road than a KLR, certainly at motorway cruising speeds. I had one and really enjoyed riding it but I did have a pokier motor in mine out of a GPZ.

Downsides, saddle is uncomfy (just like on a KLR), they are getting old and the tank is pretty small.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a klr and have a budget, go find the best one. Hire a van to collect it from the darkest ends of the UK and enjoy it. No other big single looks as cool (unless you double budget). Only a ccm 644 ds or r30 (or well looked after ktm) will be better value and easier to stick tyres on. Good 90's singles are few and far between.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:57 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
you might see 90 on the clock if you're lucky in full tuck.

Had about 97mph on the clock chasing a ZXR750 with a passenger - serious tuck and possibly a tail wind, or just a an over-reading clock Smile.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, yeah I had a soft spot for the KMX125 because i'd liked the looks since i was about 13, and i liked the kawasaki team green.
After a drz400 a few years ago i've been out of the bike picture for a bit. The KLR was my first thought since it reminded me of my first KMX, but i'm open to advice definitely.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:01 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you like and dislike about the DRZ400?
The KLR650 has a bit more peak power, a good bit more midrange and a load more weight.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KLR600 or XT600 and maybe the Honda XR600 would all be higher on my wants list. A 600cc single and light basic and ideally air cooled is what I'd I'd like best. The KLR 600 is the liquid cooled revvy option and maybe more KMX like?

It's hard to find good KLR's and Suzuki DR's in 600cc size, but the soft lightish easy going XT600E is much more plentiful and the more off road orientated Honda XR maybe a better option for the dirt, and there's still plenty of XR's about due to a long production run with little spec changes.

If it's a KMX you really want though, don't hang about. I've seen people ask over £1500 for some fairly tatty ones, and minters are topping £2500 especially for 200's or very late model bikes.

Im trying to tune an old one to around 30bhp, but I wouldn't recommend it if you actually want to go places alot and put serious miles on one. Irrespective of the bike a 95kg trail bike with two stroke power delivery will always be a laugh.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1