Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle Progression

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Crytisk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:35 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Motorcycle Progression Reply with quote

Hey there, I wanted to ask if this is a good idea. I've road a YBR 125 for 2 years on L plates. I've passed my A2 licence and now own a Kawasaki Z300. After two years i can do my A Licence and i wanted to get a VFR 800, maybe a 2005-2010 or whatever an older one. I was just wondering whether the 300 to 800 will be to big of a jump and i should maybe get a 600 first then the 800. What do you guys think?

Thank you.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it's too big a jump comes down to you, ultimately. The bike doesn't takes risks on its own. Are you inclined to explore the outer limits of performance, chance your arm on overtakes, etc.? If you are, then a bigger bike sooner may kill you sooner. If you aren't having close shaves or scaring yourself, then you'll probably be fine.

VFR800 is a pretty relaxed bike. It has a bit of sportiness over 7k or so when the extra valves are active, but it's by no means a beast. Its weight means it can be quite stable in a corner where other bikes may bobble off line. The seating position makes cruising on the motorway at 95mph a comfy experience, which depending on your observation skills may be hazardous to your wallet and / or license. You'll probably find a version with ABS, another bonus.

Another main reason to take your time working up to higher powered bikes is so that you have something to look forward to in your next bike. VFR IMO is less exciting than a 600 supersports and is certainly more docile than any litre bike, a lot more docile than 800cc (actually 782cc or so) would lead you to believe. You could go either way after a VFR and have fun, depending on whether you prefer torque or peaky power.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:53 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 17 I went from a 125 to a 106bhp ZX6R.

Crytisk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:07 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, i see your points. I do sometimes ride quite aggresively but do ride mostly defensively. I reckon i could give it a go. I've gotten used to the bike i'm on now but obviouslyu that's nothing compared to an 800.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Did you die?

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:34 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Ste wrote:

Did you die?

its arguable he hit his head somewhere along the lines.
being how he is so special.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:03 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened in a car crash.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR is a great bike for making insta-ban speeds seem a bit dull. Very comfortable, very smooth. decent headlights and roomy seat. Sportier riding position than a fazer or a bandit. feels refined rather than naughty. Linked brakes are weird at first.

Power wise, the madder 600s eclipse the VFR and there are plenty of trackday weapon or hooligan wheelie machinesout there as well as sensible commuters. What kind of bike do you want other than bigger?

Do you trackday? Commute? Tour? Use it for your weekly supermarket shop?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason a VFR would be a difficult upgrade. They're pretty easy to ride and comfortable over distance but will shift along in the twisties quite nicely. They are great all rounders basically and I've yet to get bored of mine. If you're a point and squirt type rider or like your bike to scare you, you might get bored but they reward smooth and progressive riding and make devouring distance quite easy. A bit more torque would be nice.

It's the crossrunner varient I have now (which for my every day purposes and the nadgery roads I like to ride is the better handling of the two). I'd rather have a tracer 900 for the added excitement the engine provides but the crossrunner is more comfortable, better suspended and has better brakes. That triple engine of the Mt series is great though.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:24 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two questions for people who say their VFR (or pretty much any vaguely sporty bike producing 100bhp or more) isn't scary.

1) Do you have the throttle all the way open to the stop?

2) Are you at or marginally below the redline before you change gear?

You don't know if it's scary unless the answer to both of these questions is yes.

The power delivery of a VFR is much more linear than many though so it wont become scary immediately or unexpectedly. The main thing you'll notice on a VFR is weight, they are not light.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a 15yr gap, and retaking my test, I was straight on a VFR750. They're well behaved, dont do anything unexpected, you have to be deliberate with the throttle to do silly speeds, but they'll do them if you want to. Just bear in mind they're heavy bikes. But supremely comfy, even with the sportier position.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I have two questions for people who say their VFR (or pretty much any vaguely sporty bike producing 100bhp or more) isn't scary.

1) Do you have the throttle all the way open to the stop?

2) Are you at or marginally below the redline before you change gear?

You don't know if it's scary unless the answer to both of these questions is yes.

Yes to both when out for a hoon. It fair shifts on the VTEC but it's very predictable and builds linearly so it doesn't often cause surprises. As I said it works best with a smooth and well planned riding style as it doesn't have the same immediate shove as something like a Tuono (twin) that can catch you out.

The weight doesn't really show to the same extent with the crossrunner thanks to the wide bars. It doesn't feel much less nimble than my old er6 did though is much more stable and generally more capable in every respect bar fuel economy. It is heavy beast to walk around in the garden though.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:42 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Progression Reply with quote

Crytisk wrote:
Hey there, I wanted to ask if this is a good idea. I've road a YBR 125 for 2 years on L plates. I've passed my A2 licence and now own a Kawasaki Z300. After two years i can do my A Licence and i wanted to get a VFR 800, maybe a 2005-2010 or whatever an older one. I was just wondering whether the 300 to 800 will be to big of a jump and i should maybe get a 600 first then the 800. What do you guys think?

Thank you.

My other half rides a z300, great fun bikes to play on and I regularly use it for work.

Is going from a 300 to an 800 too big a jump? Nah, she rides around on my z800 now and then happily, there is a big weight difference and a bit more grunt as the little 300 is such a light bike, but you'll soon get used to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1