Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

gpz600r renovation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:17 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: gpz600r renovation Reply with quote

Hi, I am a newbie to BCF, I have just bought a GPZ600r, first registered 1985 on a C plate, the bike has been dry stored for about 8 years, its complete with a few damaged panels, tank is not connected and has a massive oil leak, looking at the engine it looks like drive shaft oil seal, but its fitted with a chain oil system, so until I get the engine out and clean it wont know for certain, this is my first Kawasaki refurb so will be asking questions later, will keep you informed on the progress, thanks Tony. will have to read about posting pics.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:26 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shout in The Workshop if you need help, and post pics and a write up in the 'Show and Tell' forum.

Welcome to BCF! Thumbs Up Smile

Restoring that bike is a bit of a thankless one, as it's never going to be worth a lot, and I suspect it's got lots of issues. Even so, it should be rewarding, and hopefully won't break the bank. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:41 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, yes I know the bike wont be worth a lot when complete, but its just a winter project, I am 72 and recovering from bowl cancer but I have been into bikes all my life, raced for a few years and had a few years as a sidecar passenger, restored about 15 bikes over the years from bantams to a cr750, non of them worth a great deal but got them back on the road and not scrapped, I think I am going to enjoy my stay here, thanks.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:50 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will warn you that people on here have... er... strong opinions. You did the right thing by introducing yourself and everything though.

Looking forward to seeing the restoration documented!! Thumbs Up Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: gpz600r renovation Reply with quote

Welcome to BCF Tony, I for one am looking forwards to following your resoration.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to BCF and good luck with the rebuild, nice to see something interesting and some civility on here!

2020 wrote:
restored about 15 bikes over the years from bantams to a cr750, non of them worth a great deal but got them back on the road and not scrapped, I think I am going to enjoy my stay here, thanks.

Praying please have some photos of the CR!

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing this one written up.

Welcome to BCF. Please ignore the retards - they will make themselves known.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:47 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the monoshock linkage a good strip and re-grease, it probably hasn't been looked at for 30 years.

I would look at the oil drain plug for cross threading/stripping if I'm chasing an oil leak. The output shaft always looks like its leaking oil, but it's just all of the accumulated chain oil goop melting.

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 14:58 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on my one, I've got PDFs of parts, manuals, and wiring if you need them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I will warn you that people on here have... er... strong opinions.

We absolutely fucking DO NOT.

At all.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1