BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bye bye 'busa

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Bye bye 'busa Reply with quote

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the celeb RIP thread.

Suzuki ends Hayabusa production.

Like it or not, it was a mighty presence in the motorcycle world.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low sales figures?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s a sad day when bikes like that are legislated out of existence Crying or Very sad
Nanny state and faux outrage by shit-stirring news media kill off another avenue of fun Sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:26 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could just put in a modern engine. They clearly feel the brand has had its dwy.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those bikes that really caught everyones attention. Sure the media didn't help with the scare stories but for me it was when people began tuning the things and created some legendary videos - Ghost Rider for example.
(I don't condone speeding and daft f*ckery but the videos show what power could be made from tuning them)

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
One of those bikes that really caught everyones attention. Sure the media didn't help with the scare stories but for me it was when people began tuning the things and created some legendary videos - Ghost Rider for example.
(I don't condone speeding and daft f*ckery but the videos show what power could be made from tuning them)

Ghostrider didn't build it himself though Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:17 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Fourte wrote:

Hmmm, now who do we know daft enough to stick turbos on a busa? Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:53 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is the time to buy a perfect condition 'Busa and then wait as it increases in value.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I there much of a market left for the busa? Litrebikes have caught up power wise and the 300kph agreement has taken the bragging rights away.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:24 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market will pick up now that the 'Busa is being consigned to the history books.

Litre bikes have caught up power wise but the 'Busa is an iconic bike and that's what sets it apart from the ten a penny litre bikes.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a shame, never had a shot of one. I guess it has gone out of fashion but definitely an investment now I would think.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what comfy fast bikes are left? As in bikes that are primarily fast, but also surprisingly easy to ride and even tour on a bit.

I've never ridden a Busa, but from various people I've heard that they're really easy to ride and comfy too. Kinda always fancied one.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why all the butt hurt? Especially from those people that have never ridden one, but still could if they wanted.

Also some are making the GSX1300R out to be really daft and silly and scary??? It's a big fat stable, low long wheelbase comfy sofa of a bike. R1's and ZX10R's etc are far more scary and flighty and flappy.

And mentioning the tuning and the turbo thing like again every single Busa is a several hundred bhp modified monster is really inaccurate and false. Most of these kinds of bikes are left fairly std and covered in soft luggage and then have a serious mileage put on them.

Oh and there's far more 1300R engines in cars, and boats than there are in big long swoopy Suzuki's these days.

A good bike yeah, an iconic one sure! But it's had its day and people don't buy massively powered sports tourers anymore in any numbers worth having.

The ZZR is disappearing too, as that Z1000SX thing with the blower is far more popular, more comfortable, better on fuel and has more luggage and pillion space fitted as std.

I'll understand the mourning of the Fireblade when that day comes, which it will in under 5years, but then it's nothing like the bike it was in 92, so it'll be just another thing that's run its course and gone out of fashion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my gen 1 bike.

I toured over Europe on it a few times. Fast, very easy to ride. I preferred it to the Blackbird and the ZZR but that was just personal choice as all were fantastic sports tourers. It was fast but no faster on the road than any other big 1000cc+ bike purely down to being so stable in a straight line. It went round corners ok, but not sports bike ok.

I'm sad to see it go because it's another nail in the end of choice. Legislation will kill bikes in the end and it's the outrageous ones that are going first.

Mine in the Pyrenees, 2008 or 2009.

https://i.postimg.cc/Xq39T9F6/Photo0018.jpg

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame. The 1000cc+ hyper touring class is pretty much dead. For a few grand you'd be faster than 99% of vehicles on the road. I'm pretty sure I'll regret selling the Blackbird as soon as I'm well enough to ride again.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's a shame, but the market isn't there now for massively powered sports tourers, hell even the 1000cc superbike market is shrinking at a huge pace, and they are only really still in the manufacturers range due to BSB/WSB regs.

Customer demand has changed, it's mainly adventure bikes, and super nakeds now, but also again about big comfy upright faired tourers that the people spending £20k on are realising that they need to get some serious use and mile trotting out of to justify that sort of purchase cost. That and the 50-60+ yr old owners can't get on with clip on bars and race crouched riding positions now.

The old argument of sports bikes and those ultra fast sports tourers being a cheap way to bait supercars is over too. Its not important or impressive anymore like it was in the 90's to be able to waste all comers on the road or to turn up at the pub with a 200bhp bike etc. People realised that you can't get away with lunacy and speed now and have turned else where.

The only sad side to all this is the movement by some once sports bike riders is some have gone full hipster and are building abominations from 80's UJM'S and middle weights thinking that they look the nuts outside coffee bars. These fuckers have also diluted the purity and simplicity of the original style of cafe racer bikes, so much so that a stripped back cafe racer is no longer as cool as it should be or as purposeful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kev2b4
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had to happen, but considering its ~20 years old not surprising, so I'll think I'll keep my gen1 ( ~30k miles on it only) until I get too old and doddery to ride it (which will probably happen qicker than I want). Plus side is won't be able to ride inside the north/south circular without paying - so good excuse to not go anywhere near London

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it seems that rumours of the Hayabusa's death have been greatly exaggerated.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I'm sad to see it go because it's another nail in the end of choice. Legislation will kill bikes in the end and it's the outrageous ones that are going first.

E4 is just an excuse, if it sold well enough, Suzuki would make an E4 compliant version.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Hmmm, now who do we know daft enough to stick turbos on a busa? Laughing

Very Happy

Bunch of us went to Santa Pod to do 1/4 miles. I felt fairly happy, having smoked a few commuter cars at traffic lights in the past 12 months.

Did a run against Pete and had him for the first 10 meters. Felt a legend. Cool
Came back down the slip road and he said "It's spinning up in every gear, need to dial out a bit, will start with taking out 100bhp".

On its best day, my bike had 105bhp. He removed my entire bikes worth of power from his second run. Shocked

It left around 250bhp IIRC.

The man is a legend.

(sorry Pete).

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great day out but it was a disappointing last ride on the 'busa. Apart from a slightly knackered clutch I later found (or at least the new owner did) that I had a tiny pipe come off one of the sensors providing data to the secondary fuelling computer. I knew something was badly wrong on the day because of the lack of power but couldn't find the fault. Apparently the end of the pipe was just resting on the plastic barb which made it look like it was still connected. They later found it on the dyno.

So apart from producing barely any more power than a stock bike I was damn lucky not to melt the engine. If it was on the runway then it definitely would have caused 6 or 7 grands worth of damage.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I had a great day out but it was a disappointing last ride on the 'busa. Apart from a slightly knackered clutch I later found (or at least the new owner did) that I had a tiny pipe come off one of the sensors providing data to the secondary fuelling computer. I knew something was badly wrong on the day because of the lack of power but couldn't find the fault. Apparently the end of the pipe was just resting on the plastic barb which made it look like it was still connected. They later found it on the dyno.

So apart from producing barely any more power than a stock bike I was damn lucky not to melt the engine. If it was on the runway then it definitely would have caused 6 or 7 grands worth of damage.

Lol. Did tht bike ever run well? I seem to recall a certain chap on a turbo'd Busa lagging behind my old nag of a Zed on a meet up at a tea hut in Epping forest about four years ago!!! Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:05 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fickle machine at times that's for sure. Mostly though it was awesome. Goes with the territory.

Did you see the other guy at the Pod? His shop-built turbo melted on the first or second run. Talk about gutted that conversion cost him about a grand a second in riding time. Mine has held together 11 years now.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1