Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fun bikes for < 2k

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:23 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Fun bikes for < 2k Reply with quote

Ride a VFR800 to work and back Monday to Friday, brilliant commuter can't fault it for that - but no fun taking it out for weekend blasts.

What's a fun toy for less than £2k?

MPG, insurance etc none of that matters.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:40 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Fun bikes for < 2k Reply with quote

KTM200 EXC - go get muddy. Smile
(Though if new to it, you may be better to start on a 250 or 300 which are generally more sedate.)

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a track bike. More lulz than anything on the road.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:16 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that money i’d probably go Hornet or something, or a nice SRAD600 or 750 if I could stretch to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornet. As a fun bike? Laughing

Vtr1000

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree w/ g on off-road suggestion - even slow going is fun. In fact, the slower sections can be and often are more involving than the easier, faster bits. All that looking ahead, picking a line, then trying to stick to it - through gloop and slime - is loads more fun than it should be.

Also agree w/ vtr.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a 250-ish off-road/trail + winter bike, though I guess it depends where you live.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:39 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Hornet. As a fun bike? Laughing

Vtr1000

Lighter and revvier than a Firestorm. He has a VFR as a main bike, if he's going to buy a Firestorm he might as well just buy another VFR and have a bike with the same power and weight and just pour out half his fuel every week... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:30 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firestorm?

Fun bike?

Power and weight?

Fuel consumption?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun bike: A bit subjective really depends on what you class as fun, and what you want to do with it or where you'll ride it.

To some a 90's 600 sports bike would be a fun weekend bike, but to others they are too cramped, too heavy and too revvy to be any fun?

A litre V-twin might well be someone else's fun bike, but the too big and heavy thing could still apply.

A WR450F might be a fun bike for others, but it's not much of a road bike. Similarly a 125 or 250cc sports bike might be fun for someone, but you're hardly going to want to do serious miles on one.

Basically need more info from OP on what he classes as fun?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could maybe...just get an early Tuono. Much fun.

Or cheap supermot but the search for something decent might be tricky.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Basically need more info from OP on what he classes as fun?

This.

I'll take a 2T 500 Supermoto all day long. Someone else may want fast A road blasting, someone else may want muddy off road shenanigans.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:05 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very cheap street triple

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:02 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Fun bike: A bit subjective really depends on what you class as fun, and what you want to do with it or where you'll ride it.

Agree with this. What are you requirements for fun?

For me I'd be getting an RS125 or a Honda BROS650 for about half of that price. Maybe a GSXR400. I however also enjoy working on bikes as well so that would be part of the 'fun' for me.

Very person specific question.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:07 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea of fun is light and revvy, but not too powerful so you don't need to hold off on the throttle.

The Street Triple is one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden, but I doubt you'll get one in budget, which is why I thought Hornet first off. The competitors aren't really that good of that era, so it's either that or a '90s Sportsbike.

I might consider something like a ZX6R or similar but considering the OP's main bike is a VFR800, I assume he'd want to go unfaired rather than faired. That is an assumption on my part, but I think it's valid.

If I personally wanted a bike just for fun, I think it'd probably be a 250 two stroke, but you won't get one in budget at all.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:47 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming this is for weekend fun on backroads, something as light as possible, and naked. I wouldn't concentrate on the power.

There is also something to be said for owning a bike which is so cheap to fix that you don't care if you crash it (at low speed) or destroy the engine. It is nice to ride without mechanical sympathy from time to time.

I wouldn't go down the Hornet route. You already have a Japanese 4 cylinder middleweight bike.

So, things I would consider:
Any sort of proper supermoto.
Sinnis apache 250, for a cheap, light bike to cock around with and not care about.
Any of the Italian litre class naked V twins, for silly grins and making Paddy shake in terror.
Anything old, or an Enfield, because they're just different to ride.
Any kind of 2 stroke - particularly 90s 2 stroke 125s - because they're fun, and can generally be tuned.
Out of budget choice - Buell XB12. The most fun I've ever had on a bike. Having just had a look on ebay, way out of budget. Shame.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not waste time suggesting a ZX6R G-A model, as it's not that different from a VFR and can do everything a VFR can with just a touch sharper handing and touch less comfortable riding position.

Oh and you know who you are, but you really need to get/build another KX500 supermoto, as you mention them more than I do my Rover. It's such a specific bike that has to be built not bought, you obviously have alot of enthusiasm/nostalgia/ longings for one, so how come you've not re-scratched this niggling itch?

Build one and show it on a build thread for us all to look at. Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:03 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a GSXR750-Y (2000)?

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:20 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

zx9r much fun and comfortable too Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get 750's for fun on the road, and haven't got them or understood why they aren't irrelevant since the mid 90's>?

Ok sure for a track bike, or because you want to create an authentic WSB replica, but for a fun road bike when OP already has a 750cc 4cylinder faired bike?

It seems like we arnt doing all that well as BCF these days with bike suggestions? Is it a lack of imagination or is the £2k budget that much of a fun killer these days?

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:31 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about selling the VFR and adding the £2000 cash to that and buying one bike that can do everything?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 90's cruiser is what you need.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I don't get 750's for fun on the road, and haven't got them or understood why they aren't irrelevant since the mid 90's>?

Ok sure for a track bike, or because you want to create an authentic WSB replica, but for a fun road bike when OP already has a 750cc 4cylinder faired bike?

It seems like we arnt doing all that well as BCF these days with bike suggestions? Is it a lack of imagination or is the £2k budget that much of a fun killer these days?

I agree. The 2000 GSXR 750 belonging to my mate is the bike I've liked least of all I've ridden. It was only fun when thrashing it, handled awkwardly around town and was gutless under 8k. Good top end though. Just not my thing I guess, I prefer light and punchy from the bottom.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:43 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
you mention them more than I do my Rover. It's such a specific bike that has to be built not bought

Bacuase they're huge amounts of fun. I make no guarantee's how long you'll have a license though. You can buy them. And CR's, although Husky's are more collectable now. From about £2K if you're after something fun, not a shiny to be posing in front of the local chav slags just before this weeks boyfriend nicks it. People build/buy them and realise it's not an everyday bike, or one that's particularly easy to ride, and sell them on before they "get it". Any 500 without a decompression lever is an absolute twunt to start, and will piss your neighbour off royally at 5/6/7 in the morning. They often scare themselves, trying to get on one and rag it like an IL4. If someone is willing to put a bit of time into learning how to ride one properly, it's huge fun. I don't think I've had more fun on 2 wheels.

stevo as b4 wrote:
so how come you've not re-scratched this niggling itch

Cash. They go for silly money these days, and although you can pick up something usable for £2K. However, I've had a few 2T supermoto's, I won't be happy for long with something basic, as I've already done it. If I was going to do it one last time, it would either be a somewhat breathed upon Maico 700, or a Zabel ZM27/ZM29 motor in a KX/CR Alloy Frame. >100BHP in <100KG. Motor alone will chew up at least 2K, and they do a big bore 750 on request by all accounts.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:36 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can stretch your budget a bit and if fun really is what you want then a KTM690 Duke will be hard to beat. I have way more fun on the Duke than I ever did on my Fireblade. I know guys with the supermoto models with the older LC4 engines and they love them. Might get a half decent one for your budget.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2