Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Destroying the lawn

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Destroying the lawn Reply with quote

I park my bike behind my house either on a gravel drive (visible from the road) or on the lawn under some trees (not visible from the road).
With the wetter weather I'm finding the grass is, quite predictably, getting completely wrecked.
I find it difficult (read: impossible) to wheel the bike backwards on the gravel as it digs a hole and sits in it, so even if I park on the gravel I tend to wheel my bike around using the grassy area and then ride forward over the gravel.
I'm renting so my options are:
- Move house
- Do something simple with the gravel drive so I can wheel the bike (or turn)
- Protect the grass
My preferred option is to protect the grass so I can keep the bike out of sight. I have looked in to some mesh grass protectors but was wondering whether any of you have done anything similar? Any recommendations?

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:17 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put down something like this

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landscaping/d130/Ground+Control/sd3225/Grass+Protector+Mat/p23709

or even some astroturf

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:23 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put down something like this

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landscaping/d130/Ground+Control/sd3225/Grass+Protector+Mat/p23709

or even some astroturf

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reinforcement-Driveway-Permeable-Domestic-Commercial/dp/B0756PBZ1W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1544430005&sr=8-8&keywords=lawn+protector

on a patch of grass where we walk over all the time. It works but I found the grass had to be pretty level and soft enough to get it in properly, I'm sure it will be fine for a light motorbike.

There are cheaper options but wifie wanted green and not black. i have no idea if there is much difference in quality.

I suspect if I tried to lift mine now the grass would come up with it so don't plan on taking it with you if you move.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That plastic carton-like stuff looks slippery. Will my back.wheel grip it ok? (Can't be worse than the slipping sliding off-road mud fest that is my lawn at the moment, though. The soil is high clay content, so extra slick).

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've also got that grid stuff. Ours is filled with gravel though. I always reckoned we should have grown grass in it, because weeds....

Bike runs over it fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1