Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A break from Brexit - roundabouts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: A break from Brexit - roundabouts Reply with quote

So... Question to the masses. I have my opinion on this but am unsure if it is the correct one.

Highway code says two things, give way to the right. And give way to traffic already on the roundabout.

The situation is as follows, you have clear road ahead upto the roundabout and past it, there is a queue of traffic formed left to right trying to go straight across in front of you.

You are not on the roundabout, but are approaching it at a sensible speed (let's say 20 for arguments sake but it's a 30 limit). The cars waiting can see you clearly.

Here's the thing, you are not at the roundabout but will be impeded if the first car pulls out from a standstill, by the time you get to the roundabout entrance they have entered the roundabout, should they have waited knowing that you would get to them before they were gone? Or should you give way to them because they were already on the roundabout (by 6")

Tl:dr blasting along over a clear roundabout - car pulls out. Who gives way?

Last edited by Hawkeye1250FA on 15:27 - 10 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:02 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs more paint diagram.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint diagram is at 00:00

Assume at point 00:03 the car has moved forwards across the line by 6" and the bike is now at the line about to cross it (but at 20mph)

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:29 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should give way to the right, so if they cannot pull out without impeding you then they shouldnt do/have done so.

That said, if you extend the logic to you approaching at 120mph then they would never be able to pull out as they most likely cant see far enough to anticipate, so an element of caution is required by both parties.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This very much depends on how big the roundabout is. What should happen is the car gives way to you, but be aware that they might not. But as soon as they are on the roundabout, they have the right of way.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
They should give way to the right, so if they cannot pull out without impeding you then they shouldnt do/have done so.

Which is my first thought on it. And a belief I have held for many years. However I am now not so sure.

By the letter of the Highway code should the motorcyclist not give way to the traffic already on the roundabout?

(I always judge an oncoming vehicles speed and wait if I cant get out of its way in time and assumed everyone did. But many seem to pull out regardless, which got me questioning it)

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
This very much depends on how big the roundabout is. What should happen is the car gives way to you, but be aware that they might not. But as soon as they are on the roundabout, they have the right of way.

Mini roundabout / one size bigger for example.

Not to cause a row. But how can they "give way to you" AND have "the right of way"
If they have the right of way as soon as they enter the roundabout. Then that implies the motorcyclist should always give way to them because that is what's going to happen...?

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:40 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between "on the roundabout" and "almost stationary, wheels 6" over the line, accelerating just enough to be right in the way"

If he had pulled out earlier, before he could see you, and was going more slowly, then of course you should slow down behind him, but to me, nipping out in front of traffic and relying on them to avoid you contravenes "give way to the right"

The bit that changes with roundabout size is the distance at which observations are made and therefore the speed vehicles can safely approach at to allow time for that to happen. It may be acceptable to join an NSL roundabout at 20, but a mini roundabout with any traffic demands everyone is almost stationary.

Last edited by B5234FT on 15:43 - 10 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
There is a difference between "on the roundabout" and "almost stationary, wheels 6" over the line, accelerating just enough to be right in the way"

If he had pulled out earlier, before he could see you, and was going more slowly, then of course you should slow down behind him, but to me, nipping out in front of traffic and relying on them to avoid you contravenes "give way to the right"

Agreed. If pulling out causes oncoming traffic to brake or risk collision then I would say the same, but is that what the highway code says? 🤔

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:45 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally say you were taking the piss a bit approaching a mini roundabout at 20mph when there is stationary traffic waiting to cross, you're expecting him to anticipate your speed and distance a long way from that roundabout.

(Imagine for example approaching an NSL roundabout at 50...)

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
I'd personally say you were taking the piss a bit approaching a mini roundabout at 20mph when there is stationary traffic waiting to cross, you're expecting him to anticipate your speed and distance a long way from that roundabout.

(Imagine for example approaching an NSL roundabout at 50...)

I'm happy to agree to disagree, I'm perfectly capable of judging speed of oncoming traffic and decide whether I'll get out in time or not. Its not hard. 😁👍

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:52 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor obs by both parties, 50:50 liability.

Car shouldn't be at a stand still and then pull out just in time to get in the way of the only other vehicle in sight and the bike shouldn't proceed blindly in the hope that their right of way will save them from injury.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Poor obs by both parties, 50:50 liability.

Car shouldn't be at a stand still and then pull out just in time to get in the way of the only other vehicle in sight and the bike shouldn't proceed blindly in the hope that their right of way will save them from injury.

Assuming there is a crash - agreed. But there never is because the motorcyclist has good obs and anticipates. 👍

If on a wintery cold day with cold tyres and the bike lowsides whilst braking to avoid a crash.... Is it car drivers fault? Or do you still think 50/50?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:11 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmmm. If they can fall off, slide along the road and not hit the car then they also wouldn't have hit the car if they'd braked without then sliding along the road.

If I were the car driver then there would need to be a very convincing argument for why I should accept responsible for the biker being unable to do an emergency stop.

I'm sure there have been examples cited where someone has crashed whilst taking evasive action and it's been ruled as being at least partially the fault of whoever they were trying to avoid even though there was no contact between the vehicle.

Therefore what you describe is going in favour of the car driver, maybe not 100% but something in the region of 80:20.

Is this situation as hypothetical as my legal knowledge?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:16 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all that relevant at the end of the day anyway. Lying in the road with a broken leg will not hurt any less if you had right of way.

So if the car is coming, you need to anticipate that and give way to it, even if you weren't supposed to.

I would be tempted to sound my horn to alert him to my presence.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
If on a wintery cold day with cold tyres and the bike lowsides whilst braking to avoid a crash.... Is it car drivers fault?

If you do that on your test then you fail, I'd blame the biker unless contact was inevitable. (mini) Roundabouts are a grey area, they're more about timing and who decides to go.

I had one recently where I stopped to give way to a car to the right, another car approached from straight ahead so thinking that would block the car I stopped for I went, the car took the first exit at speed (no indication) and so the car I'd originally stopped for also went. Had we crashed (it was fairly close) I'd have had a hard time explaining that one, even if the other car didn't strictly do what it was supposed to (neither did I really Smile).

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would slow sufficiently as I approached the roundabout for me to be able to react to the driver, if he sets off. Surely it is all about anticipation - if you see a potential 'situation' ahead, you slow down just in case.

This is a common scenario where I live, particularly with mini-roundabouts...

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sums it up nicely 👍 thanks for your input.

Yes it's completely theoretical, the situation happens a lot in Holmes Chapel where there are 2 mini roundabouts together.

It irks me somewhat (rarely a day goes by I don't have to honk to alert them - yes I am here, stop please) that some drivers can't judge speed and anticipate as well as others so I end up braking and allowing for their inevitable pull outs.

Thems the breaks innit.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree to ride assuming the worst and not be angry when it does happen, but be in 1 piece to carry on.

But code does say "give priority to traffic approaching from your right, "

and "watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout"

North, South, East, West.
The one I watch out for is the person sat West, indicating right as you approach from the South.

They should "give priority" to you, but gun it onto the roundabout and swing sharp all the way round. Now your screwed, as they are on your right and expecting you to avoid the collision.

Only really valid for small roundabouts. But there is one near us and I swear people do it at SPEED just so they can bang the horn. They look for the i-am-right fight (not targeting bikes, they look for anyone).

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:26 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Not all that relevant at the end of the day anyway. Lying in the road with a broken leg will not hurt any less if you had right of way.

So if the car is coming, you need to anticipate that and give way to it, even if you weren't supposed to.

Exactly. It's the difference between being right, and dead right. On a bike you'll always come off worse, regardless of whether it's your right of way. You just ride like everyone else is going to kill you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:34 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I was going to say this, but now Stinkwheel gets the honour of being the smug know-it-all instead of me. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

In all seriousness though, this is absolutely 100% accurate. I had a guy argue with me on Facebook about this a couple of weeks back. It was regarding a poor teenager who got flustered and swerved into the path of an oncoming bus because a parked car he was passing opened it's door (you may have seen the viral video).The guy I was arguing with couldn't get it into his head that it doesn't matter if a car is parked in a bus lane with no tax, insurance or MOT and is stolen, you can and should still anticipate any and all actions it could take.

He seemed to think that just because the car was in the wrong legally (although didn't do that much wrong in terms of actions - he opened a door for pity's sake!) that somehow the poor kid left in hospital was not in any way at fault. I don't really get that logic personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSDD innit.

Part and parcel of riding is that we need to make up for other drivers inadequacies.

How does the adage go? There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers. But there are no old bold bikers. Some shit like that anyway. 🤣

My favourite quote from an instructor:

Instructor ; "what does it mean when a cars right indicator is flashing?"
Student : "the car is turning right"
Instructor : "Nope, the bulb is working"

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
In all seriousness though, this is absolutely 100% accurate. I had a guy argue with me on Facebook about this a couple of weeks back. It was regarding a poor teenager who got flustered and swerved into the path of an oncoming bus because a parked car he was passing opened it's door (you may have seen the viral video).The guy I was arguing with couldn't get it into his head that it doesn't matter if a car is parked in a bus lane with no tax, insurance or MOT and is stolen, you can and should still anticipate any and all actions it could take.

He seemed to think that just because the car was in the wrong legally (although didn't do that much wrong in terms of actions - he opened a door for pity's sake!) that somehow the poor kid left in hospital was not in any way at fault. I don't really get that logic personally.

Only seen it once (shitty video locked up after a 20sec advert Rolling Eyes) but it looked like there was room to swerve around, however I realise 17/inexperienced etc..

That's one thing that really pisses me off about riding, car drivers don't give the same room that they would to another car just because you're on a bike (motor or pedal). It's one thing I always make the extra effort to do when I'm in the cage as I know how dangerous it's 'forcing' two wheeled riders into the door zone.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:14 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
(although didn't do that much wrong in terms of actions - he opened a door for pity's sake!)

Although it should be mentioned opening a door into danger is a specific statuatory road traffic offence. Most offences are more general or are made under regulations, this gets a specific paragraph in an act of parliament all to itself.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who gives way?

Well judging that 80% of dashcam videos are at roundabouts, it seems not many people know how they're supposed to behave. Lane discipline goes out of the window, and overtaking then diving off without indicating is to be anticipated.

If you are stopped, and a vehicle enters at a speed that means pulling out impedes their progress, then you're in the wrong, if the approaching vehicle is doing 60mph then you'd both be responsible.

It's akin to pulling out into a one-way system into traffic, you pull out when clear but don't rear end or cut anyone up, just because the road is layed out in a circle shouldn't make much difference.

If the driver has already started their manoeuvre out onto the roundabout, and you're flying out behind them from the right, then you should proceed with caution as poor obs has already been indicated, possibly by both parties.

If both pulling the trigger at the same time, then you give way to traffic already on the roundabout and go behind. No stress as you'll be past the pillock sooner or later.

If he's dilly-dallying and you're on approach from the right then you get to go, until he decides to pull out and then physics/insurance/legal takes care of the rest.

Needs dashcam video posting along with verbal exchanges Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2