Fuel Filter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zarishel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:48 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Folks,

Is there a fuel filter built into the petcock system on the fuel tank? I imagine the answer is no, so does anyone know of any problems with putting a filter in the line between tank and carbs? I've just cleaned out the carbs and would like to keep them clean as long as possible.

Thanks.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Zarishel wrote:
Folks,

Is there a fuel filter built into the petcock system on the fuel tank? I imagine the answer is no, so does anyone know of any problems with putting a filter in the line between tank and carbs? I've just cleaned out the carbs and would like to keep them clean as long as possible.

Thanks.

Answer is yes and no.

Most decent pet-cock straws incorporate a screen. It would only stop sand and fine grit.
But should stop most detritus such as rust flakes and stuff getting in far enough to plug a float needle or jet.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:30 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and YES.
There's normally a mesh screen either in the petcock itself or on the take-off pipe in the tank.
Yes I have had problems with in-line filters, usually them getting an air-lock and fuel flowing out, momenterily, faster than it clows in, so the carb starves of fuel and engine stutters.
On the trials bike, that may suffer from fuel contamination, both from field filling and from the fact its a two-stroke and needs petroil, pre-mixing, I did find an inline fiel filtyer than works, it was a genuine Amal glass filter and not cheap. Cheap ones have never worked for me, and the ultimate answer on the road bikes has been to tackle at source and not let the tank get silted up, by proper POR15 clean and treat.
I would NOT put a 'common' plastic in-line filter on anythging; most on e-bay are sized for strimmers and such and likely wont flow even enough fuel for a 125 4-stroke at full throttle, larger Halfords type ones that have higher peak flow rate, are generally sized for cars, and will tend to drain and air-lock, in the time it takes the float bowls of a typical multi to empty, before they start filling.. ie not very helpful....
Hence expensive glass Amal filter on the trials bike, NO inline filter on the road bikes, and a POR5 treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's better to have the tank off and sort the rusting problems rather than trying to mask it with a fuel filter.

Saying all that, you shouldn't get rust flakes through the fuel tap, especially if you don't go on reserve.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1