BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hand signals.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Hand signals. Reply with quote

When did you last see someone driving a car or similar give a hand signal (no, not *that* sort)? What was it? What about for motorbikers?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don’t even bother with their normal turn signals let alone hand signals.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still make the occasional hand signal. Nothing startles a car up your jacksie more than you sticking your right arm out and putting your brake light on.

I also used to see trail riders doing the 'slowing down' hand signal to the bikes behind them to let them know something iffy was ahead and they were going to stop.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:19 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen someone driving a car or similar give hand signals.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Nothing startles a car up your jacksie more than you sticking your right arm out and putting your brake light on.

I think were I to take my hand off the throttle with a car up my jacksie I might get a bit startled too Shocked
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:59 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do them all the time because I took the indicators off my Bullet. Now so used to it I generally don;t use the indicators on bikes that have them.

Not uncommon to get a "right turn" signal from a car driver who is letting you pass.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green laning, I do some unofficial ones for those folllowing.

U-turn - finger pointed up and rotate hand.
Stop and engines off. Hand raised above my head, arms crossed.
Turn right. Stick right leg out, but I can't let go of my bars right now.

etc

and I use arm signals all the time on the road, cos no indicators.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen and given the slow down signal from oncoming traffic when there is a hazard ahead, often an accident or massive flooded bend in the road.

More often it is the other sort Laughing

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I point at speed limit signs occasionally.

Usually accompanied by a shake of the head and possibly a single digit....

Otherwise the only time I see actual hand signals is the old boys in their classic cars... And even then its only right turns they do...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Not uncommon to get a "right turn" signal from a car driver who is letting you pass.

Can you describe the circumstances? I don't understand it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I have seen and given the slow down signal from oncoming traffic when there is a hazard ahead, often an accident or massive flooded bend in the road.

Only seen that once (over in Ireland) when oncoming cars were warning of a scamera van.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:39 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

I realise I put "right turn" when I should have said left. So hand out of the window and gesturing in a circle.

So the car driver can see I'm stuck behind him because forward visability is poor. He can see the road ahead is clear and wants to indicate that it's safe to pass. Or he's stopped on the road for some reason and wants to indicate I should pass him.

In Germany, I saw a couple of bikes do a "Right turn" signal by holding their left arm straight out with the elbow bent up at 90 degrees so the hand was pointing straight up rather than take their right hand off the bars.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

I realise I put "right turn" when I should have said left.

OK got it ta.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taught when learning to drive that coming up to a Zebra crossing you were supposed to do the right hand out the window sign, to show pedestrians waiting to cross you were stopping.
I've never ever seen anyone do it though Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen and perform a left hand turn signal when moving into a buisy left hand lane approaching an exit on dual carrageway/motorway or rejoining traffic after a filter manouvre (usually with intent to turn left shortly). I think I was introduced to this behaviour on bikesafe, but that was a long time ago. It appears to be quite effective at opening a gap. It usually morphs into a thumbs up gesture as the gap opens.

I occaisonally see people towing or driving mud covered or farm vehicles perfom turn signals, I assume this is for empahsis with a slow vehicle turning across traffic or an assumption indicators don't work.

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes use my arm to indicate if I am about to turn right or left especially in town traffic in case some car driver is tailgating me.

I tend to think that if someone is tailgating me then they have not paid any attention to my motorbike's indicators.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

inline4 wrote:
I sometimes use my arm to indicate if I am about to turn right or left especially in town traffic in case some car driver is tailgating me.

I tend to think that if someone is tailgating me then they have not paid any attention to my motorbike's indicators.

If you're turning right doesn't that mean taking your hand off the throttle/slowing down when someone's up your arse? Confused I learnt very quickly that flapping about with your right hand was a bad idea, only the left comes off (the bars) if I need to adjust my visor, or thank another motorist.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
inline4 wrote:

If you're turning right doesn't that mean taking your hand off the throttle/slowing down when someone's up your arse? Confused I learnt very quickly that flapping about with your right hand was a bad idea, only the left comes off (the bars) if I need to adjust my visor, or thank another motorist.
Not if you are already on a shut throttle.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:28 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised nobodies mentioned it yet (or I haven't read the comments carefully enough) but if you ever see a biker patting himself on the head as he approaches you - slow down. Police are up ahead.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use hand signals all the time. Thumbs Up

EDIT: Left/Right turn and stop only IF the light signals of the motorcycle do not work. Happend to me a few times, all car drivers did understand the hand signals and I got safely home.

https://ee1yyztnth2drnoo1kld0j14-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/motorcycle-hand-signals-chart-1.gif

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Not if you are already on a shut throttle.

Maybe I'm riding wrong but the only time I close the throttle is when braking*, which you need your right hand for Smile The hand signals RhynoCZ has posted are what I had in mind, as I thought keeping your right hand in control of (particularly) braking but also the throttle was fairly critical.

*[EDIT] even when engine braking (which I mostly do) I like having both hands on the bars

https://www.mytheorytest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/the-highway-code-signals-to-other-road-users-1.png

^ F**k doing that, I'd just slow down and turn, which I sometimes do anyway if there isn't time for faffing about with indicators (if I'm using the clutch for example).

Last edited by M.C on 18:51 - 12 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use hand signals all the time when I was a bus driver, but that was more to warn people that I WAS going to move away from the bus stop whether they let me or not

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I use hand signals all the time. Thumbs Up

There's only one legitimate signal in that whole lot!

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M.C"]
yen_powell wrote:

Maybe I'm riding wrong but the only time I close the throttle is when braking*, which you need your right hand for
Shutting the throttle is braking but without using actual brakes. On 4 strokes at least.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2