Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
M.C wrote:

Maybe I'm riding wrong but the only time I close the throttle is when braking*, which you need your right hand for
Shutting the throttle is braking but without using actual brakes. On 4 strokes at least.

Hence my edit about engine braking Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
I use hand signals all the time. Thumbs Up

There's only one legitimate signal in that whole lot!

Yes, the ''comfort stop'', every single Chopper/Cruiser rider I've met used that signal a lot. Thinking

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I use hand signals all the time. Thumbs Up
{image of rider to rider signals}

It's not so much a question of whether you use such signas but whether they are understood. I presume these are used in formal and serious riding groups with strict entry requirements?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
but if you ever see a biker patting himself on the head as he approaches you - slow down. Police are up ahead.

It can also mean "you're heading towards a camera". I have warned a few others using that action but never got
any kind of "reply" that indicated they got what I was trying to warn them about though. If some one gestured that
to me I would thumbs up in return.

andym wrote:
I used to use hand signals all the time when I was a bus driver, but that was more to warn people that I WAS going to move away from the bus stop whether they let me or not

LOL. I used to slide the window open and point at where I WAS just about to drive the bus. Central London driver here.
You have to assert yourself a lot (aka be a bit of a bully) or you'll never get off the stop and back out into the flowing traffic.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Central London driver here.
You have to assert yourself a lot (aka be a bit of a bully) or you'll never get off the stop and back out into the flowing traffic.

That must be why they seem utterly shocked when I let them and out and sit there for a good few seconds Smile The one time I didn't, the lorry ahead rolled back and smashed into my van, then the bus driver who probably caught the whole thing on his cameras f**ked off. Not sure if that was karma Thinking

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
It can also mean "you're heading towards a camera".

Helpful, but isn't it perverting the course of justice or some such offence that gets not just the book but the library and the bricks it was built out of thrown at you for robbing coppers of their coins and justification for justice?

Many years ago, noob TttH sees all of the oncoming traffic flash lights so hauls up in layby around corner and checks bike, which at the time was prone to finding creative new ways to break. Mostly i was attempting to determine if on fire somewhere. Didn't realise there was a scameravan in the layby until the (fake?) policeofficer inhabiting the van approached me and asked if I needed assistance.

Several weeks later I ignored similar flashing and some gesturing on the same stretch of road, as the camera van had been there in the morning. Camera van wasn't there. My luggage, however, was open. Thankfully empty or my worldly good would have been spread across the a635.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My argument to the 'perverting the course of justice' would be that if you were in a pub and your mate was clearly pissed and you took their car keys off them.
Would that be perverting the course of justice, because you're denying the police a catch. Remember that speed cameras are 'only placed at areas where accidents are highly likely' Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nuance is that in preventing a drunk from driving means the offence does not get committed. If a driver is speeding at the time they are warned then the person warning of the speed trap is committing an offence.

Also used, and easier to prove is section 89 of the Police Act 1997, to “wilfully obstruct a constable in the execution of his/her duty"

The AA and RAC used to salute vehicles displaying membership badges, instructing members to stop in order to recieve information about road conditions ahead or a warning about he condition of their vehicle if a patrolman did not salute. This practice of warning by omitting an all clear orginates from patrolmen being prosecuted for warning motorists of early speed traps. I don't actually know if anything harsher than a stern telling-off was issued by judiciary, but it was sufficient for both organisations to change policies.

I am unsure if the practice ended in the early 60s due to legeslative efforts or the sheer impacticality of saluting on increasingly busy roads.[/i]

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
grr666 wrote:
It can also mean "you're heading towards a camera".

Helpful, but isn't it perverting the course of justice or some such offence that gets not just the book but the library and the bricks it was built out of thrown at you for robbing coppers of their coins and justification for justice?

Happy to help with that. Laughing I support the Police on the whole, but they have far bigger fish to fry than speeders and until
I hear sizzling, I will continue to warn others of an imminent -£60 and 3pts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:24 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flash to warn other drivers they are approaching an accident blackspot... Because home office regs state they should only be putting speed traps on accident blackspots.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sentiment is appreciated, given the price of my car insurance, points, the real cost of points is likely huge. Just don't get caught, as fines for obstructing a police officer can be ~£1000
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2