Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alarms, the perenial discussion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Alarms, the perenial discussion Reply with quote

My Acumen is dead. Time for replacement. Not interested in an immobiliser as it will likely immobilise me, but don't mind not using this feature of an alarm if that's possible during installation.

Ideally I'd like something that flashes my indicators and doesn't beep when I set it (also I think silent activation is a legal requirement for new alarms?)

I'm well aware a competent thief is getting the bike if they really want it. Scaring cats and children away from fiddling with it and alerting me to less competent thieves so I can chase them down the street in my habitual sleepwear is what I expect.

Candidates include

Datatool Evo Plus. £110. Spendy, better work for 5 years.

NCS V2 £35 Cheap. I'm ok if it only works for 2 years

NCS Spy, Spy 5000 not sure if worth extra over V2, expect longer lifespan if I'm paying more money.

Anyone have experience of any of these? I get that they all fail eventually, but I'd like an idea of lifespan and problems.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

read that as perineum discussion, clicked it anyway

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be better to spend the money on some proper security, like a tracker, than a noisy box that nobody will take notice of?

Thumbs Up

ಠ_ಠ

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

alarms have given me nothing but hassle so i never bother with them and any bike i buy that has one installed its immediately ripped out!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Alarms, the perenial discussion Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
My Acumen is dead. Time for replacement.

Good luck with that. When my Acumen died I ended up having to replace the main loom to get rid of it.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to spend the money on some proper security, like a tracker, than a noisy box that nobody will take notice of?

Thumbs Up

this

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:

Thumbs Up

Exactly this. Get a good tracker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All bike alarms are shit, no exception.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the accumen in. I know how it comes out. Not worried there.

The fact is, the accumen successfully prevented a theft and kept curious people away. I have no illusions about it alarms working when I'm not in earshot.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I categorically hate alarms. They drain batteries, can be fussy when they go off, nightmare if your fobs run out of battery oower. No ta.

Like above, a tracker sounds like a better option.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to incite the electrical bad joojoo here...

My zzr1100 has the Datatool S2 on it. been on it for years. It seems over the years it's had a few alarms on it but the S2 has been on for 12 years. Still works as it should but I keep a pdf on my phone of what pins to short in the plug if and when it messes me about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:13 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
I'm going to incite the electrical bad joojoo here...

My zzr1100 has the Datatool S2 on it. been on it for years. It seems over the years it's had a few alarms on it but the S2 has been on for 12 years. Still works as it should but I keep a pdf on my phone of what pins to short in the plug if and when it messes me about.

Lol, you've fucked yourself now. Best start looking up bus timetables as its gonna say NO to you later Laughing

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DrSnooSnoo.

Contemplating a tracker, but running into the same internet fear that bubbles around cheap alarms. It's a lot of money around one that works, and i'm not sure I want what's left of my bike back after it's had a night of fun with the local wildlife. If it were a high value bike that were being stolen for export or broken for parts it would be more attractive. But a tracker doesn't tell me someone's fiddling with the bike.

I know the bandit is a long way from exotica. The wildlings of small town south yorkshire don't seem to know that. Or to look with their eyes and not with their hands.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw 'perenial discussion ' I though we'd have nice chat about flowers not stinky old motorbikes
Ho hum
anyway
I've had a NCS V2 for well over 2 years and it still works fine
No alarm will give perfick security but it does deter the fiddlers

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change my mind, it's a Datatool Series 3.

On my old 600, I had a NCS thingy on. I was naïve and believed the shyster who said "professionally fit". He'd just wedged the power wires into the battery terminals and stuffed all the other wires down the side.

Anyway, very loud siren and a bright flashy LED which didn't stop the scum stealing my dustcaps in Woodhouse, Leeds.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:36 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If buying a tracker, BikeTrac seems to be the one to go for.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=322278
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=325394

As good as those two success stories are, some people would prefer to just get a cheque from their insurance company rather than having to deal with all the possible hassle that's part and parcel of your stolen bike being recovered.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like an alarm and I've chased off amateur scumbags thanks to the DataTool Series 3 on my ZX6R. I reckon most "alarm problems" are either nothing of the sort, a failure to maintain the battery or just unfamiliarity. These days I'd consider a tracker first though.

The bad news for DrSnoosnoo is that the Datatool and the Meta 357T on my R1 died around 12-14 years. I by-passed the System 3 and now go without (luckily I can get a lock and chain under the seat), but it's not a job you could easily do away from home. Meta do a plug-in replacement for their alarm and they also cheekily do a connection kit to replace a System 3. From memory I think the connections are easily unplugged whereas the Datatool can't be unplugged without opening up the case, which itself isn't easy.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a datatool Evo for an exceptionally good price. Was easy to install.

I worked out how I could remove a wire and crimp spade from a connector on the bike, make a fresh jump-wire to go into that connector and splice the pair into the single channel immobiliser. If it fails it's a 5 minute job to bypass because i know where in the loom i hid the connections and if it's unreliable I can put a fresh spade on the wire and put it back where i removed it from. I'm considering it an experiment.

Also the datatool has an isolating diode for the indicators so the alarm doesn't screw around with the rest of the electronics when it flashes the indicators. I've not seen this on cheap alarms. Without it my clocks do self test and any headlights ive left on flash with indicators. One of these would probably make a cheap alarm less shit.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 22:20 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get what you pay for.

Scorpio SRX alarms are the only alarms I'd touch, but they cost.

Had them on 2 bikes over a total of 4 years, never had a fault or a glitch.

Their customer support is also great considering they're based in US.

The only reason I knew there was an attempted theft on my bike and managed to react in seconds is because of that alarm. The key-fob rang, it was reliable, never falsely tripped or drained my batteries, ever.

I will never not have that alarm on a bike I own.

Having said that, I've even got a biketrac fitted to the S1K but I'm STILL gonna buy the same alarm and fit that too.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:35 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people still spend money on Datatag. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a cheap mobile and hard wire it for tracking and a big lock.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:53 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Alarms, the perenial discussion Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
MDatatool Evo Plus. £110. Spendy, better work for 5 years.

I have a non-Plus Demon Evo on the Kawasaki 250, has been reliable for 2 years so far, doesn't appear to drain the tiny battery and has stopped some little tykes from breaking the steering lock and walking off with it. Also takes a lot to get it to go off (the wind hasn't managed it yet) but if I start the motor without disarming the alarm it'll start screaming straight away. Overall I'm impressed.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking a mercury switch linked to the horn and disabled by the ignition would be a great simple to make device that wouldn't touch the battery as it just sits in an open circuit state.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1