BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Output shaft

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Output shaft Reply with quote

Hello ive resently changed my sprockets I've noticed there is a very tiny amount of rotatinal movement on the splines. when you move the sprocket on it's own without the shaft .. I mean it's not even a 1mm I've attached a video please don't Lough lol you can see certainly see the sprocket moves slighly without the shaft but it's hard to get a clear video of it without it just moving the shaft like normal but you can tell from some of the video.

Online there is qwite a few different people with this but there movemet is very bad and it's lead to needing a whole new shaft and a engine rebuild.
I mean my bike is only a year old with 10k miles I know it's not bad now but what I don't want haft to do is worry about it going worse then it being really bad after anouther 20k .

What i want know is iff mine is the normal tolerance so u can accturaly fit the sprocket?

Or does it look like its going be allot worse ? I have a year left on warrenty so the last thing I want is to find out the play as gone double on size for when my warrenty ends . What's your opinions please people? I hope you understand my concerns. Sorry for my bad spellings I'm dyslexic. I am.basicaly just trying to cover my back inacse it's going mess me up in 2 years time as I believe any play just increases over time ?. I will really appreciate people facts / opinions. Or any advice iff needed like I say it might look abit silly and picky but I'm sure you can understand that I don't want it going worse .

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Output shaft Reply with quote

Dtaylor12345 wrote:
I've attached a video please

Oh no you haven't!

('Tis the season for pantomime, or nearly)

Some movement is normal.

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Output shaft Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Dtaylor12345 wrote:
I've attached a video please

Oh no you haven't!

('Tis the season for pantomime, or nearl
y)

In trying to now sorry lol it's not letting me for some reaosn

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Video Reply with quote

Video like I say it's very small but I believe it should of no movement what so ever a

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:39 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks OK...

I'd really not worry about that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: sparocket Reply with quote

mmmmmmmm this sprocket is "bolted" on and may also have a locking tab.

Please show the bolt and any washers that are to do with it.

There is some play there but usually that type of sprocket holding arrangement relies on a good fit between the sprocket and output shaft, else the bolt arrangement and locking devise can come loose due to drive and overrun forces.

Always grease those splines else they can corrode together making removal difficult and result in more play.

Since the bike is still under warranty, show the supplier and get their opinion.

Note, does the chain clear the raised portion of the sprocket, the chain plates should not be raised by the raised portion of the sprocket. Is the raised portion of the sprocket rubber, its not absolutely clear in the video......

and what bike is it please?

post a pic of the output shaft splines, any ridges/wear?? also when you removed the bolt, how tight was it, very tight, tight, or seemed a bit on the loose side for the application.

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks allot for the reply my bike is a Honda cbr 650f I've accturaly used some copper greece to try and protect it abit more . There is rubber on this sprocket. My splines looked like this when i first removed the original sprocket so when I refitted I tried my best clean the surface rust with a cloth . I believe this sprocket is designed to move side to side ( NOT like on video) it moves side to side so it can self adjust the chain alignment.

I was worried incase that original side to sode play was wrong at first but then after my research that's normal. So the only thing I don't like is the fact it can move about half a mill rotatinal. I probs look very picky I know but after seeing bikes online there has been people who have noticed they have got qwite bad play and it ruins the bike . They have also been Honda's so I can't help but worry . Iff it was a 10 year old bike with 50k I might be able to accept it .

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Shaft Reply with quote

Shaft

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Shaft Reply with quote

Dtaylor12345 wrote:
Shaft

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Shaft Reply with quote

Dtaylor12345 wrote:
Dtaylor12345 wrote:
Shaft
it has one big washer/ spacer with one nut

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the old sprocket have that same side to side movement you talk of, or, was it firmly clamped to the output shaft by the bolt a washer??

MJE sprocket, a pattern one ??

Measure the max thickness of the oe sprocket and compare with the new, same or slightly thicker than the new one??

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has one big washer/ spacer with one nut

you mean bolt.

splines look ok but a bit rusty, some wear on spline flanks/sides suggesting some movement of the old sprocket due to drive/overrun loads.

I would contact Honda UK to ask if sprocket is "clamped" to the output shaft via the washer and bolt, which is usualy with this type of arrangement.

Suzy and Kwak and probably yam are effectively clamped.

Measure thickness of old and new sprockets but ask honda uk to be sure.

Last edited by bikenut on 15:58 - 12 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Did the old sprocket have that same side to side movement you talk of, or, was it firmly clamped to the output shaft by the bolt a washer??

MJE sprocket, a pattern one ??

Measure the max thickness of the oe sprocket and compare with the new, same or slightly thicker than the new one??
i

got Honda fit a aftermarket chain and sprocket set as my kush drive needed replacement so they just fitted it for me ... so I've not had chance to compare with the original sprocket. But when I checkt i thought the side to side movement was wrong and way to much I thought the sprocket was faulty so I orderd a brand new original sprocket. Then when I fitted that it still had side to side movement but not as much . So the aftermarket sprocket was slighly thinner . But after speaking to loads that movemnt is normal it's just the rotatinal on the splines I'm concerned about

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: sprocket Reply with quote

If the system is designed to allow "wobble" then so be it. I would still check with honda uk. I know honda use some cheap and nasty designs sometimes.

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: sprocket Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
If the system is designed to allow "wobble" then so be it. I would still check with honda uk. I know honda use some cheap and nasty designs sometimes.

I mean I'm certain it's designed to wobble up and down the shaft but in my opinion I think this design generally upsets the reliability of the shaft they have said it should move on the shaft but becauce my rotatinal movement is very small they don't take any notice so I'm smacking my head against a brick wall my guess is after anouther 20k it's going have at least 1 /2mm of play there .I mean iff I could see a brand new machine to see iff that's the same or let then check and compare but they won't. I think the only thing I can do is recheck in 7 months and off it's worse then I will demand a warrenty job

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: sprocket Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

100% designed to wobble. I'm starting hate this bike

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use copper grease, certainly not on a moving part. Copper grease is abrasive. Use LM based grease.

And the play in that sprocket is very normal, Loads of bikes are like this. Any tighter tolerances and you would struggle to slide on the new sprocket!
dydey90 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That movement is perfectly normal. Bolt it up and ride on.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: wobble Reply with quote

At what point I wonder is the op gunna post a thread about a weird noise ( clunk ) and a jerk when opening the throttle, and on the over run, and that the sprocket keeps coming loose, its only an 8mm bolt by the looks of it after all.

What did honda uk say about the fit of the sprocket on the shaft exactly?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:13 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fine to me. There might be some movement engineered in for some reason. I doubt it's an issue.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:29 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: sprocket Reply with quote

Dtaylor12345 wrote:
bikenut wrote:

I mean I'm certain it's designed to wobble up and down the shaft but in my opinion I think this design generally upsets the reliability of the shaft they have said it should move on the shaft but becauce my rotatinal movement is very small they don't take any notice so I'm smacking my head against a brick wall my guess is after anouther 20k it's going have at least 1 /2mm of play there .I mean iff I could see a brand new machine to see iff that's the same or let then check and compare but they won't. I think the only thing I can do is recheck in 7 months and off it's worse then I will demand a warrenty job

I think you should calm your shit. My bike had a similar set up and that did 77k and had no issues.

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: wobble Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
At what point I wonder is the op gunna post a thread about a weird noise ( clunk ) and a jerk when opening the throttle, and on the over run, and that the sprocket keeps coming loose, its only an 8mm bolt by the looks of it after all.

What did honda uk say about the fit of the sprocket on the shaft exactly?

I do feel feedback soemtimes in riding yes that's why I was mainly checking things over in the first place. I swear my 125 has a smoother gear box than this . And they don't accturaly know properly.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:07 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: wobble Reply with quote

Dtaylor12345 wrote:
And they don't accturaly know properly.

https://images1.memedroid.com/images/UPLOADED4/4ffafb1e5de4e.jpeg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:09 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So OP hasn't got the answer he wants... Why doesn't he just go and complain to Honda or the Sprocket manufacturer if he's so sure there's something wrong?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2