New computer required.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
See I know jack shit about what brands are good or not but I know sandisk are a bit memory card maker so I presume their SSD will be reasonable. It's only a big memory card afterall. Isn't it?

Anyway, time will tell. Very Happy

AFAIK they're mid-range, there are nerd arguments online about every brand/model if you're really interested Smile Samsung are meant to be the best, followed (closely) by Crucial. Integral seem to a decent budget brand (if you want a cheap 120GB drive), Palit are also cheap but are new to the market.

Paddy. wrote:
Solid Thumbs Up

I still haven't filled my 500GB, not by a long shot so it should last you!

I have and I blame you, I was happy in my MP3 ignorance, then you had to get me onto FLAC Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:09 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Paddy. wrote:
Solid Thumbs Up

I have and I blame you, I was happy in my MP3 ignorance, then you had to get me onto FLAC Very Happy

Laughing Don't blame me, enjoy the quality. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
you can clone the new installation to save doing it again, although you'll need an external drive caddy (a few quid off eBay), or a PC assuming you have enough spare cables

"EASY TO SET UP: The SanDisk SSD Plus comes with easy, step-by-step instructions regarding how to set up your new drive. It also comes with a cloning software"

That's what I did, or at least helped The Boy to do, when he received his new SSD. It's an easy process.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Crucial drive came with cloning software (True Image) that was total garbage Smile It also came with a spacer* meant to be for laptops although I didn't use it. The other (cheaper) SSDs I've purchased didn't come with anything.

https://www.upgradeable.com.au/images/laptop-ssd-install/spacer.jpg
If you need one I can send you mind Polarbear (assuming I can find it).

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:59 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloning to an SSD isn't advised though... I'd just go full fresh ting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Cloning to an SSD isn't advised though... I'd just go full fresh ting.

Why not? I agree if it's choice between cloning an old installation or a fresh install then go fresh, but particularly with Win' 7 which has like a million updates, cloning is an ok option.

For example I cloned my laptop HDD to an SSD, then from the SSD back to another HDD. If I had to do a fresh install each time I'd be...

https://www.shoreeye.com/images/easyblog_shared/twitch.gif

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I must be doing something wrong, I've only got 120GB left of my 240.... and the laptop has been on for less than an hour since I installed the SSD Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

I must be doing something wrong, I've only got 120GB left of my 240.... and the laptop has been on for less than an hour since I installed the SSD Confused

Is that a clean installation you did or did it come with the computer? When I bought my PC it came with Win' 10, even after uninstalling all the extra shite they always put on the installation was still larger than a clean install I did on another system, so I did a clean install and the size was reduced a lot.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
When I bought my PC it came with Win' 10,

Did it come with a flash drive with OS, a DVD perhaps? If not, then the installation files are still on the drive for the recovery. At least that's what computer/laptop manufacturers used to do (about 10 years ago when was the last time I've actually used a laptop).

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Cloning to an SSD isn't advised though...

Why?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
M.C wrote:
When I bought my PC it came with Win' 10,

Did it come with a flash drive with OS, a DVD perhaps? If not, then the installation files are still on the drive for the recovery. At least that's what computer/laptop manufacturers used to do (about 10 years ago when was the last time I've actually used a laptop).

It did have a recovery partition, I cloned the drive to a HDD to be safe as I wasn't sure about activating Win' 10 (the only other legit copy I've had was Vista Shifty), but you just sign in with the same account and it's done.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:15 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Why?

Trying to find the document I read. Someone did multiple comparisons, when they did a clone as is, the drive was actively slower than a complete fresh one.

He did one with a full 'defrag' and drive sorting programs within Linux, which was faster, but the actual read speeds were reduced compared to a fresh write.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:35 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting if true, although I read something about SSDs losing data if they're not used, which's (apparently) BS.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to clone solely because I have programs on my hard drive I want and have no idea where the CD's for them are.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Hmm interesting if true, although I read something about SSDs losing data if they're not used, which's (apparently) BS.

It might mot be BS. Leave them for about 10,000 years, and it could be a possibility....

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I want to clone solely because I have programs on my hard drive I want and have no idea where the CD's for them are.

I'd be inclined to just do it. Try it out.

Keep your original disk, and see if you like the new performance. If it's OK, great. If not, think about doing something else. You'd still have your old disk (although as time goes by if you use the system with the new disk data would begin to diverge).

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cloned a 160gb system HDD to a 256GB SSD years ago, effectively I'm still running my PC on the w7 installation made 10 years ago, recently upgraded to w10.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

They do lose capacity, as the cells die out. Modern SSDs are more durable than the older ones, yet for that very reason slightly slower in read/write.

The Kingston SSD manager says my SSD (system drive) has 95% of life remaining. I got it about 5-6 years ago. The SSD-Z says the drive did 1812 power cycles (effectively days + some reboots) and has been powered on for 443 days and 3 hours. Bytes written: 18.496TB... and so on.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Utter Bollocks, been cloning drives for years, never a problem.

Polarbear wrote:

Yep, that will do, there are better drives but any SSD is better than the old school hard drive.

M.C wrote:
My Crucial drive came with cloning software (True Image) that was total garbage Smile

Really? My clones have been very successful, I recently cloned my Crucial 525 onto my Seagate 1TB with no problems. In fact the software is the best cloning software and the fastest I've ever used.

However I do know people have had issues with the software..

Last edited by Courier265 on 14:31 - 15 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

SSD prices shot up (along with RAM), I got a MX300 525GB for £80 in late 2016, then the replacement model was well over £100 last year, only in the last 6 months they've fallen (£70 currently).

They sure have Mad

My Seagate 1TB cost me £134 a couple of weeks ago, now today it's £160.
The Crucial 1TB are cheaper at the moment about £126.

It wasn't that long ago I paid about £126 for a 525 gig drive..

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
The Kingston SSD manager says my SSD (system drive) has 95% of life remaining. I got it about 5-6 years ago. The SSD-Z says the drive did 1812 power cycles (effectively days + some reboots) and has been powered on for 443 days and 3 hours. Bytes written: 18.496TB... and so on.

98% here (3 years old), I'm fairly sure most of the 'damage' was done in the last year when I was trying to get Win' 7, Win' 10 and macOS all to play nicely with each other (guess which one was the problem Rolling Eyes), and I formatted/re-installed/cloned installations about a million times.

Courier265 wrote:
Really? My clones have been very successful, I recently cloned my Crucial 525 onto my Seagate 1TB with no problems. In fact the software is the best cloning software and the fastest I've ever used.

However I do know people have had issues with the software..

It came with True Image HD which's likely a stripped down version. My first issue was that the software would only run with the crucial drive connected Rolling Eyes, then I only wanted to clone a particular partition and the software (again probably stripped down) couldn't do it iirc. Macrium Reflect has done nearly everything* I've need to so far; resizing and cloning individual partitions, the UI is a little unintuitive though.

*I can't successfully clone my macOS installation for some reason

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

It came with True Image HD which's likely a stripped down version. My first issue was that the software would only run with the crucial drive connected

That's what it's suppose to do...

I checked out the price to upgrade to the full version, it's about £20 a year but for one PC only... I'm sticking with the limited version.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
M.C wrote:

It came with True Image HD which's likely a stripped down version. My first issue was that the software would only run with the crucial drive connected

That's what it's suppose to do...

...which makes it pretty useless for me Smile I get it was free but so is Macrium Reflect (and others) that aren't crippled. If I knew it only worked with a Crucial drive connected I wouldn't have even bothered installing it.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to clone discs easily just use https://www.drive-image.com/

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

98% here (3 years old), I'm fairly sure most of the 'damage' was done in the last year when I was trying to get Win' 7, Win' 10 and macOS all to play nicely with each other (guess which one was the problem Rolling Eyes), and I formatted/re-installed/cloned installations about a million times.

I've heard the worst thing one can do to a SSD is using the defragmentation software.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4