Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Air Compressor. help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Phadest
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:47 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Air Compressor. help Reply with quote

Whats the minimum Air Compressor I can use for HVLP https://mechanicfaq.com/air-compressors-for-hvlp/? I'm reading now that you should have 10 cfm at 90 psi or 230 Volts and 10 amps or 8HP and 80 gallons. That equates to an air compressor that is BIG BUCKS!!
I just do not have a MONSTER compressor, nor can I afford one, since a good one runs like 750 bucks. ( I already bought a nice Hobart welder this year)
I will be shooting my car a panel (ie such as fender, trunk, hood, the biggest would be roof) & I have a 220 VAC Dayton Speedaire & it is not up to the task, I finally confirmed its 2HP & has a 30 gallon tank and only putting out 6cfm at 90 psi. I am present equipped to shoot a License Plate is the way I look at it.
I am totally frustrated. I totally overlooked this because my machine weighs like 250 pounds.
The most I can afford ( my Financial Officer, the better Half, would make me start needlepont or gardening as a hobby if I shelled out $700 to buy a 80 gallon Ingersoll Rand ) is to buy a used 5 HP machine for say 200 , but that would only get me to 7 cfm at 90 psi. I could mate the tanks and get 30 +20 = 50, but I doubt I will try running two 220 VAC units in tandem as the amps would probably kill the breakers. My last choice would be to make my own monster compressor out of parts, dont laugh I have really done some dumb things.I may be the lousiest painter, but I the L___ was nice enough to give me a way with machinery, I've been rebuilding an engine as a parallel project this summer.
To paint my car , I have already bought a Neotorik Breathing System, two barrel fans for ventilation, a Makita Sander, Tons of PSA Disks, some decent guns, Primer , tons of sandpaper and I have spent hours studying and reading and watching the SPRAY 101 DVD.
I dont want to GIVE UP. Any suggestions?
Most guys have this thing about buying Big Tools. Usually I go for Hi quality, I'm not into buying for size, thats why I shelled out the money for the Dayton Speedaire back in 2000, but though its rugged and will last 50 years, its just too small.

Last edited by Phadest on 09:24 - 17 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like you're in the US, looking for advice on spraying a car, on a UK based motorcycle forum.

That aside, friend of mine has sprayed a couple of Landy's and a VW camper with a HVLP gun run off a small Clarke compressor with a 50l tank. He seems plenty happy with it.

Ideally you'd have a huge compressor and a dedicated spray booth, but decent results are achievable with lesser equipment under a tarp in the back garden.....however, there does seem to be a significant learning curve and my friend had to refinish several panels while he was working this out with 2 pack.
Best of luck with it.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: 2 pack Reply with quote

2 Pack !!

Is he and his neubours still alive !!
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1