Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What do you do with/to your bike over the winter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AlmostSensibl...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:29 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: What do you do with/to your bike over the winter? Reply with quote

I called it quits and put my bike to bed over the winter a couple of weeks ago, recently had a brain spurt and ordered an Oxford Stretch cover and some ACF50 to spray the bike with and keep it under cover over winter.

She's an old 2003 Faired Bandit 600 MK2, so not like it's an 8 grand bike but felt like as I've had it for only a year and like everything to be as clean as possible I'd go ahead and do my bit..

She's in the garage (soon to be on the centre stand) and I think I'll give her a turn over every couple of weeks, needs a major service and oil change soon anyway as sometimes doesn't like cold starts.. or starting at all - first carbed bike!

What do you guys and girls do over winter? Drain the fuel, fill it up? Paddock stands? I'm intrigued to know!

https://i.imgur.com/4MsDJtC.jpg

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to winter, bike has had a damn good clean, wax and spray with WD40 and ACF50.

I brim the tank to avoid condensation build-up and it then potentially running into tank and sinking to bottom. Is this based on science? No, but I feel better for it.

Lube the chain (rollers and plates).

Time my oil changes so the bike isn't sitting with old oil in it.

Put it on a trickle charger for 5 days out of 7.

People say to get tyres off concrete floor. But I tend to run the bike for 70 miles in one ride every 4-6 weeks if weather is ok.

If wasn't going to run it at all for 3-4 months and had other transport, then would consider removing the battery + declaring SORN

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Declare it SORN.

Thats all you need to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get alot of "Just ride it all winter" responses from the commuters and real riders.

If your garage or shed is not warm or heated to a constant temperature, then don't cover the bike with anything un-breathable, and if placing a breathable sheet over it, it's best to have some sort of makeshift frame over the bike so that the sheet never touches the bike itself.

Drain or fill the tank, you can get quite a good argument going on here about which is best, and take out the battery and keep it in the house and occasionally trickle charge. This is important as no battery fitted will stop you from starting the bike every week or so thinking your doing so with good intentions.

If you can run the carbs out of fuel that's a good move IMO and don't think about running the engine again until your ready for your first ride of 2019.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean the road crap off and put it away. Connect a smart charger if you have one. Job done.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: What do you do with/to your bike over the winter? Reply with quote

AlmostSensible wrote:
I called it quits and put my bike to bed over the winter a couple of weeks ago, recently had a brain spurt and ordered an Oxford Stretch cover and some ACF50 to spray the bike with and keep it under cover over winter.

She's an old 2003 Faired Bandit 600 MK2, so not like it's an 8 grand bike but felt like as I've had it for only a year and like everything to be as clean as possible I'd go ahead and do my bit..

She's in the garage (soon to be on the centre stand) and I think I'll give her a turn over every couple of weeks, needs a major service and oil change soon anyway as sometimes doesn't like cold starts.. or starting at all - first carbed bike!

What do you guys and girls do over winter? Drain the fuel, fill it up? Paddock stands? I'm intrigued to know!

https://i.imgur.com/4MsDJtC.jpg

Bandits are notoriously fickle for starting if you don't keep up carb maintenance. Mine (one of the four I've owned) would become a poor starter, then a non starter, then I would service the carbs and it'd be alright for another 6-12 months.

If you're wintering your bike I would strongly suggest servicing the brakes especially the rear. Do that service you've been promising it and it'll be ready to go in the spring. If you leave the brakes you'll probably have seized pins and pistons when you roll it out again. Other than that give the switchgear and locks a blast of WD40 and grease the stand pivot.

DON'T go out there every week or two and run it up - you'll rot the exhaust collector out. Get a battery tender to keep it charged and leave it alone.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 23:21 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride it

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill tank, put in garage, connect to Optimate/trickle charger.
Already to go on nice days Thumbs Up

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
You'll get alot of "Just ride it all winter" responses from the commuters and real riders.

That would be me Laughing

All 3 of my bikes are undercover which solves one problem, I use my
CB250 most of the winter months, if the temperture is high enough I
will use one of the other bikes for those days if possible.

Prior to winter I make sure the brake pads have been changed on all 3
bikes so they are ready to use if needed, also the chain and sprocket
kit changed.

When I'm not using the CBF and Suzuki, they are stored with a full
tank of fuel and get started up every weekend if I haven't used them.
I also keep an eye on the tyre pressures, as they might be needed
they have to be ready to go.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like meef said, ride it. Acf it and clean crud off when I get a chance. When weather gets shitty, i leave it alone. Riding in shite conditions for the sake of it is for idiots.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Like meef said, ride it. Acf it and clean crud off when I get a chance. When weather gets shitty, i leave it alone. Riding in shite conditions for the sake of it is for idiots.

depends on your definition on shite conditions... Rolling Eyes

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride it.

PR3's handled the 0 degree conditions perfectly from the off tonight, and having good tyres if half the battle won; warm hands, and warm gear is the rest.

I'll say no thanks to snow, and preferably avoid the roads when they've got grit sprayed all over them.

Bike gets serviced over the year and ACF-50'd well before winter is even a thing. Bike gets serviced during winter as much as it needs it.

If riding during the colder months isn't for you then it's whatever your into.

Slightly odd to ACF-50 it just to keep it under a cover. Thinking
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This winter for me is a little strange. It's killing me not using it and what I'm doing is a 'slow service' including some important engine internals. Tyres will also be added and should the chance arise then I'll be out on those glorious crisp winters days.
If money doesn't stretch quick enough then my bike this year will be on a stand being slowly worked on!

Future winters will be bike on stand, optimate on trickle, bike smeared with protection and with each awesome crisp day I'll be out.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

While mines away I'm fitting a tail tidy, HID kit for the headlight and whipping the wheels off for some new tyres.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:48 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines not moved since September. It's in the garage, I turn the trickle charger on every other week and rotate it when I do that, just wheel the bike round in a circle, reattach cables and leave it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send them away for work to be done. Or take them to bits.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could say ride the fucker but your're not going to. Get it clean and dry like everyone's said, put a bung in the exhaust to prevent it filling with condensation and rusing form th einside if it's original. Don't bother if a proper FULL stainless system.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No special treatment, just rinse salt off if I ride on a shitty day.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride it. Really.

Unless it's icy out and you live in fuckwitville in the middle of nowhere, it's not a problem.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 13:51 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I rode for two winters on worn out supercorsas on an R6 in ice and snow that was settling. The only issue was freezing my bollocks off and having a few sketchy moments with the snow.

Any other usual winter "setup" would be way better than my setup was.

If I can do that without crashing anyone else can do it.

Take your tampons out.

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:30 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride my bikes all year round, so have no experience of laying a bike up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about crashing. But I don't like being cold when there's absolutely no need to be. I have a car and a
van here, both fitted with heaters and seats. Also I don't want my bike to get dirty, it will be worth more when I chop it
in than a well used grubby bike of the same year. That's why mine stays in the shed. Any colder than 10c whatever time
of year and riding anywhere is off the table. I don't do rain either. For some of us, biking is about having fun and a bit of a thrill.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
No special treatment, just rinse salt off if I ride on a shitty day.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines not going anywhere soon, it's got no cylinder head on it and layers of clingfilm over the cylinder barrel with the piston at TDC. Im procrastinating over my simple top end re-build and I'm not sure if I should ring Mr Abbey for his advice or services.

I've got two different skimmed heads, but the bigger bore cylinder overhangs the edge of the squish band so there's a 1.2ish mm ledge between the head and cylinder wall.

Im expecting the compression ratio to rise a bit, but don't want it much over 8:1 or I think it's likely to blow up or run flat up top.

Two strokes, such simple engines they say. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2